Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Are you a good tipper ?

I tip most people 20% but, the people that take care of me, my stylist, nail tech & cute lil' Asian waxer all get 25%, that's only 'cuz they all manage to fit me in at a moments notice.

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

20%+ depending on the server. Talk to me and make me feel at home and the % goes up.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I am a very generous tipper, but I have also owned, managed, or worked in bars/restaurants for over 20 years. If you are in the industry you typically tip higher.

That being said if the service is really poor I will tip lower, but typically 15% is the lowest I go.

The one exception is buffet places where the servers are getting paid a higher hourly because they do less work and there is no actual serving. In those cases I tip completely based on my overall experience at the venue.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I am a very generous tipper, but I have also owned, managed, or worked in bars/restaurants for over 20 years. If you are in the industry you typically tip higher
I agree with TV on this.
I tip better then the most. My daughter has been a waitress for many years and I am sensitive to the pay scale and issues of working in that field. I make sure I tip well and even better if the service is exceptional.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

ericf4 wrote:
what about when you order takeout and pick it up yourself? then i typically wont tip even if there is a tip jar. anyone else?
good point eric.

I DO tip on take out BUT ONLY at the restaurant that is right below our offices. I might tip a dollar or something like that, but they know we run a bunch of restaurants and it is an impression thing.

normally I DO NOT tip on take out orders.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Generally, I don't tip for takeout (pickup). Of course, I do tip for delivery but seldom do we get delivery at our house.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

I will tip 20% unless they are not good at what they do. If they suck then they will get 15% and if they are worse than that it's 10% or even less. I have been known to leave a penny on a very few occasions. If I have someone deliver my food, they get a tip usually 15%. If I get take out, no tip.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

I am Bad, Real Bad!!!

If I am at a high end place I will be ok, but if I am at you everyday place you start at $2.00 and either work your way up, or down depending on your performance.

My water falls below 1/2 empty you loose 50 cents, If I call you over and it takes more then a minute you loose another 50 cents. It dont take to many ohhhh Shits for a person to be in the hole and I will demand to be paid for the crappy service!

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

I tip very well.Especially if I'm just having coffee and working on the laptop.Servers need money.Every time they fill up that cup, I'm adding more.On a dinner with good service that costs about 60.00, I'll tip 12.00.about 20 %. restaurants that add the gratuity into the meal don't get crap.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Average 20% but have no problem dropping it down for crapping service. I waited tables through college and appreciate the position but also understand that it's not rocket science. A nice attitude and good service is not difficult.

CJ

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Perfect example just happened today. A group of us met/went to TGIF Fridays to celebrate someone in my wife's families birthday. We got the checks, which has been split based on couples, and they auto added the gratuity, BUT did not tell anyone they had done that.

Now since I have been in the restaurant business all of my life we made sure everyone knew the tip was already included and they could choose to add more if they wanted. Since they NEVER tell anyone they have done that and many people never look at the itemized reciept, but their credit card slip they are signing, many people would tip like normal and double tip the server without knowing it.

When I was a server I used to ALWAYS tell the tables that the tip was already included in their checks and if they wanted to add more it would be greatly appreciated. My honesty almost ALWAYS got me double or triple tipped.

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

For me if it's a place I frequent then yes, I tip them well.

Take the Starbucks down the street. When I walk in they already start my drink and once I get to the register It's already done.

I tip the Pizza guy well, I never get a cold pizza, plus, I'm one of the few people they let pay with a check.

When I go out to my favorite local Winery I get my favorite table, always.

And on and on.

So tipping well does have advantages.

Now unfamiliar places I usually do the standard 15 - 20% unless the service is exceptional. But, and this may sound tacky, I'll tell the server what a great job they did and that there's extra in the tip for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.