Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Now that your reading this...
What is your thinking when buying a watch, do you tend to save for that one you really want or do you give in and buy two or three less expensive watches because you just can't wait that long to get your "grail"? I know a grail watch doesn't have to be expensive but usually this is the case.

I used to see watches that I would call grails and want them but always ended up buying others because it was a good deal, sometimes buying the same watch but with different dials. I would end up with lot's of nice watches but not getting the ones I really considered grails. I have changed this type of behavior and it is much more satisfying.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

i dont buy anything but top wants/grails for me anymore....Only problem is gettin 3 or 4 in 1.5 months...I need to get into rehab.

I dont see any "good deal" watches anymore as i try to stay focused on the real prize.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I was the same way BB when I first started collecting, but now I like to save up and pick up some mid-grade lines. I really love the older Accutrons, but I know that others do not. I would like to get another high end piece in the future when finances are better. I have a strong appreciation for the higher end pieces, but for me I most likely won't be buying any for quite some time. I always enjoy looking at your collection along with many others on the forum. I appreciate the fact that you and others allow the poor folk like me to at least get a taste of what your buying.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

I will only buy a watch that I really want. I rather buy the higher end watch and wait a bit then have more good deals...I use to follow that trend and decided not to do that anymore and sold them all...Now I'm down to 6 watches and will buy 1 to 2 really good watches per year.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Last Year -i bought alot of watches -99% of my so called collection -i have about 35

BUT - i have probably 6-12 really nice watches that i really like alot and the rest were just part of the frenzy

everything i have i like BUT i dont wear everything

this year i dont think i'm buying much - first off -i gotta pay off my balances -then figure out what i'm gonna do with what i DONT wear

i am determined to get down to 6-12 watches and only buy special pieces - normally this would mean an upgrade so my buying habits will have to stop and be re-assessed

it will be interesting to see how long i can last without a purchase -we'll see

it seems to me that everything that i really like is well above my NORMAL price range

so i will have to figure out EXACTLY what i want and HOW many i want

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
i have probably 6-12 really nice watches that i really like alot and the rest were just part of the frenzy
Great point, happens all the time in these forums where a hot watch becomes a frnzy and everyone jumps in to get one.....I stand clear now as its easy to get wrapped up there for sure..

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

BARNBUILDER wrote:
Now that your reading this...
What is your thinking when buying a watch, do you tend to save for that one you really want or do you give in and buy two or three less expensive watches because you just can't wait that long to get your "grail"? I know a grail watch doesn't have to be expensive but usually this is the case.

I used to see watches that I would call grails and want them but always ended up buying others because it was a good deal, sometimes buying the same watch but with different dials. I would end up with lot's of nice watches but not getting the ones I really considered grails. I have changed this type of behavior and it is much more satisfying.
Very good question BB.

I think most people start collecting and buy whatever, whenever, they can. So price and not as important as obtaining multiple pieces that you like. Right or wrong, most people I have ever encountered in the watch world seem to follow this path initially.

But over time I think many people (not all, but many) start looking at more expensive pieces and that changes how they buy.

For me this is only partially the case. I collect for 2 reasons. 1) because I love the watches I have a LIKE wearing them - even the less expensive ones. If I own it, I like it and wear it. For example the Helix I recently purchased was under $100 but I love it and wear it. 2) I collect to have a few watches that will retain their value so I can give to my son someday. He is only 3, but already loves polishing "daddy's watches", looking at pictures of watches on the computer, and just doing this "hobby" with me. I love taking my watch off at night and he wants to put it on the pillow and have me pick him up to put the watch in the watch case. So for me I hope to have some watches that I can proudly give to him someday. For those watches I have special saving funds where I will literally put $20, 30, or 100 aside specifically for a watch I am saving for.

I am not sure I answered your question, and might have rambled a little, lol

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I have dwindled down my "collection" to around a dozen. I plan to shrink it down by a few more.

My goal is to not compromise the specs I desire in a watch, and regardless of name (to a degree), try and buy quality to go along with the designs and movements that I really want.

Sales and bargains will always catch my attention, but it's a lot easier to let something go that's not a priority.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Good posts guys!

I was thinking of this because while saving for my U1 I almost bought an Invicta, Orsa, Hamilton, Seiko, Orient. I could have had all those but held onto my money until the Sinn came up. All good watches but glad I waited.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

BARNBUILDER wrote:
Good posts guys!

I was thinking of this because while saving for my U1 I almost bought an Invicta, Orsa, Hamilton, Seiko, Orient. I could have had all those but held onto my money until the Sinn came up. All good watches but glad I waited.
Which Hamilton, lol

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

I like a lot of different styles, shapes and colors.

Unfortunately I can't buy "big" on all of them.

So, ultimately, I usually work off of a short list of "better" stuff and relegate the others to what I call the "fun" stuff.

My short list this year would include a Hamilton X-Copter and Below Zero.

I'm also interested in a Glycine Incusore that I like.

If a deal comes up on something major I might consider it. I'm seeing different things all the time.

It's really hard to plan too much.

Other than that anything goes.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
BARNBUILDER wrote:
Good posts guys!

Which Hamilton, lol
a bit small for me but saw one at wus and with the crown thing I'm sure it wears bigger than it says. Great dial is what caught my attention.
http://www.ashford.com/ashford/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=H62455735&categoryId=cat5001&selectedColor=&selectedSize=&navCatId=cat5001&productId=H62455735&navAction=jump&navCount=4

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

Like many I bought watches that I shouldnt have bought some were deals and others were not this year Iam going to carefully decide what to keep and dispose of the rest. now I will only get 3 or 4 pieces a year.

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . I most certainly victimized myself by getting caught up in the "deal" frenzy this past year. After getting away from another source of influence, I have found that I am more focused and certain of what I want to own.

I am not ready to commit to a large ticket price purchase just yet . . . But I do know that Seiko and Citizen are at the top of my list. . . . one at a time, and the one that I choose. . . .

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I kinda told myself that i would get rid of all my quartz -with a few exceptions and by only automatic pieces - ones with day & date features - but sometimes that doesnt work

but i am being more specific in my specs so that's better than buying "what you like" -cause that just gets too expensive in the long run with too many pieces

ericf4 wrote:
WATCHURSELF wrote:
i have probably 6-12 really nice watches that i really like alot and the rest were just part of the frenzy
Great point, happens all the time in these forums where a hot watch becomes a frnzy and everyone jumps in to get one.....I stand clear now as its easy to get wrapped up there for sure..

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
imported post

The way I do it is, If I like the watch and like the price I will get it. I don't get a watch for the hype of the presentation. I buy a watch to wear not just for a prop.:c

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I have changed my collecting strategy over the last year. I was buying a lot of daily deal watches to build a watch base. Now I am 'trying' to be more selective. With my recent Citizen SkyHawk and Accutron VX200 I have moved up one tier, IMHO. I now plan to move up another tier. It is hard to resist some of the daily deal specials as they have been very attractive. And my new 'friends' here certainly don't help control the buying urge. But, I am determined that my next purchase will be a Ball or Dedward's Spaceview (as soon as he decides it is time to part with it). LOL

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
imported post

well for me its easy... im 18 so i cant go mad on watches lol, its pretty tough collecting such a thing at my age! :( Im thinking about a purchase of some sort next month... but no more than $200. Im hoping some day i can really add some dpeth to my collection.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.