Watch Freeks banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Don!

I consider myself a "foodie" and have a great respect for those who prepare wonderful meals. I realize that there is often more than one path for becoming a chef: Self Taught, Culinary School (CIA...etc.) and a combination of both. How did you get your start and how did you acquire the cooking skills that you have today?

Also,I have a lot of friends that are executive chefs and, as you know, there are often very funny/cool stories that come out of a kitchen! I am sure that you have your share of stories, share some with us if you like!

Thanks!!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I got my start into cooking when my wife told me "It's your night to cook dinner". That has almost become a nightly tradition in my home now. This explains why my kids are skinny.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

andrema wrote:
Hey Don!

I consider myself a "foodie" and have a great respect for those who prepare wonderful meals. I realize that there is often more than one path for becoming a chef: Self Taught, Culinary School (CIA...etc.) and a combination of both. How did you get your start and how did you acquire the cooking skills that you have today?

Also,I have a lot of friends that are executive chefs and, as you know, there are often very funny/cool stories that come out of a kitchen! I am sure that you have your share of stories, share some with us if you like!

Thanks!!
Well........first off, thanks for asking. Im mostly self taught..........did not go to a formal culinary school, but went to a trade school in high school and took culinary classes. ive been cooking by myself since i was like 12........would cook for family........obviously at 12 , it wasnt complicated stuff, but you get the idea..........always wanted to be in the kitchen if my mother or grandmother were cooking.........My grandmother was italian and was one of the best home cooks going..........and just like her, mostly i dont have recipes...........i just cook.........and its in the head, and i write it down afterwards.........

ive been working my way up in the resturaunt ladder when i was 14........started out dishwashing, then salad prep, then apps..........then prep cook, line cook, sous chef, chef........catering, etc.........

im still and will always learn, and am excited to continue to learn more. Food is neverending, and there are always new ways and new techniques being invented, and ways to think outside the box, its a learning experience everyday........if your a chef, cook, in the business, and you get to the point, where you think your the best, and can do no better, or become complacent..........time to move on, because you have lost your passion.

yes, i have many stories, of things that happened in kitchens, many, many. many. many stories.........most of them would be R rated to tell you..........

ill give you one though, from back in the culinary trade school days...........most of us chefs are pranksters.......hey when you work 13 hour days and are stressed to the max, you have to do something to liven the mood........so , we were making desserts, and we had icing that we just made.........so this one kid we would always mess with comes in and we said, hey, you want to try the icing, he was like.........sure.........WE GAVE HIM A SPOON OF CRISCO INSTEAD..............unfortunatley he didnt realize it till he had swallowed it, and it was too late.................lol........yeah, he was pissed......ha ha .......

man, there really are so many stories, hiding things on people, locking people outside, rude customers, dealing and messing with the waitresses.........food fights.........it goes on and on...........these days the business is aggrivating me though, long hours, no time off, bad employers.......etc......

im unemployed at the moment, hoping with in the next 6 months or so to start my own interent dessert business, selling desserts on the web..............hopefully ill be able to make my dream come true.........thanks again for asking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts