Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As a couple of you know, I am a plumber by trade. Although I'm to the point in my career where I no longer have to turn a wrench, I can still offer advice on repairs and any estimates you may have gotten from your local guys. If you need some work done and you feel that the price that you got is out of line, pass it along to me through PM or post and I'll shed some some light on it, if possible. I may also be able to walk you through the project so that you can do it yourself and save the labor charge.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,341 Posts
imported post

well, look at that, arent we just high and mighty..........look at me , im a big time plumber...............:t



all joking aside, i think everyone here will appreciate it.........plumbing repairs are one of those things that if you dont know about it, they can charge you whatever they want, and how the hell would you know the difference........thanks pipesucker....:lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
imported post

That was kinda tame between you guys!! you wanna try again??? :%:%:%:%:%

nice gesture tuna- i wouldnt even know where to begin at my house!! LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

You're right G. The exchanges between Don and myself have been quite tame the past few weeks! Let me see what I can do about that.







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

djpop wrote:
Tuna that offer is a nice gesture
Thanks Pop. In this climate, folks need to save as much as they possibly can. I would love to help someone save hundreds or even thousands in repair costs.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
imported post

Can you give me the added additional head on a 90 elbow?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
imported post

Plumbers and electricians will rob you blind. I'm in the wrong profession. Thanks for the offer Tuna. I just hired a plumber to do the rough and finish work in a standard sized bathroom. He charged me $1200. That included faucets, the tub, and toilet. I provided the vanity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
Can you give me the added additional head on a 90 elbow?
. . . Duh, Ron. You know he'll need to know if it's blonde or brunette on the intake side . . .geez......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Rip, on a water system, there's actually a decrease of about 1 lb. psi per 4 90's, less gravity. If the meter happens to be below the highest point of the water system termination, the decrease will be higher. I don't know the exact formula off the top of my dome. those are the types of things you tend to forget about when not using it in everyday applications. there's waaay too much info in that UPC book...stuff that I have never and will never use!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Watchguru58 wrote:
Plumbers and electricians will rob you blind. I'm in the wrong profession. Thanks for the offer Tuna. I just hired a plumber to do the rough and finish work in a standard sized bathroom. He charged me $1200. That included faucets, the tub, and toilet. I provided the vanity.
Rough and finish Rob. I assume you have a dual lav sink vanity. Did he go with wide spread faucets or 4" single hole faucets? Sounds like he likes you very much!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
imported post

randyswagon wrote:
RipitRon wrote:
Can you give me the added additional head on a 90 elbow?
. . . Duh, Ron. You know he'll need to know if it's blonde or brunette on the intake side . . .geez......
Yeah that one flew right over good ole TK's head, or he was answering the question on the tech side vs the Head side! LOL

TK brother nuttin but love for ya!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
randyswagon wrote:
RipitRon wrote:
Can you give me the added additional head on a 90 elbow?
. . . Duh, Ron. You know he'll need to know if it's blonde or brunette on the intake side . . .geez......
Yeah that one flew right over good ole TK's head, or he was answering the question on the tech side vs the Head side! LOL

TK brother nuttin but love for ya!!!
Hey Rip, taking off my plumbing hat and putting on my dumbass lid! ZOOM...right over the tower brutha! :%
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
RipitRon wrote:
randyswagon wrote:
RipitRon wrote:
Can you give me the added additional head on a 90 elbow?
. . . Duh, Ron. You know he'll need to know if it's blonde or brunette on the intake side . . .geez......
Yeah that one flew right over good ole TK's head, or he was answering the question on the tech side vs the Head side! LOL

TK brother nuttin but love for ya!!!
Hey Rip, taking off my plumbing hat and putting on my dumbass lid! ZOOM...right over the tower brutha! :%
Trick question man, Sorry I cant help but mess with Plumbers and pipe fitters. I have 1 great Industrial contractor of each and boy do those pipe fitters hate being called plumbers. And boy do those plumbers hate being call **** chasers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I tell you Rip, I hated to be called a drain cleaner. People think that drain cleaners are plumbers; not necessarily so!
All that matters now is that the check has a signature at the bottom!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
I tell you Rip, I hated to be called a drain cleaner. People think that drain cleaners are plumbers; not necessarily so!
All that matters now is that the check has a signature at the bottom!
You got that right, and anymore that is a HUUUUUGE deal!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
As a couple of you know, I am a plumber by trade. Although I'm to the point in my career where I no longer have to turn a wrench, I can still offer advice on repairs and any estimates you may have gotten from your local guys. If you need some work done and you feel that the price that you got is out of line, pass it along to me through PM or post and I'll shed some some light on it, if possible. I may also be able to walk you through the project so that you can do it yourself and save the labor charge.

I have a problem I am facing in the very near future, thanks in advance for the answers.

I have a duplex home with two completely finished out two bedroom apartments. The floor of the lower floor is level with the outside ground on the septic side of the house, the tank is actually down hill just a little.

My problem, my lower level toilet sits on a 1 inch thick slab of marble, I suppose to make it a little higher than the septic line.

The slab got broken by a shyster handy man putting in new wax gaskets, I have a second question about these gaskets.

Would you by any chance know if the studs holding the toilet down are most likely flat heads studs pushed through the marble, orset into the poured concrete floor?

Second, the handy man said a setup like this, on the 1 inch slab, requires two wax gaskets. is this true?

Again thanks.


My project it to replace the broken slab and reset & seal toilet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Tera-Ram wrote:
TUNAKLLR wrote:
As a couple of you know, I am a plumber by trade. Although I'm to the point in my career where I no longer have to turn a wrench, I can still offer advice on repairs and any estimates you may have gotten from your local guys. If you need some work done and you feel that the price that you got is out of line, pass it along to me through PM or post and I'll shed some some light on it, if possible. I may also be able to walk you through the project so that you can do it yourself and save the labor charge.

I have a problem I am facing in the very near future, thanks in advance for the answers.

I have a duplex home with two completely finished out two bedroom apartments. The floor of the lower floor is level with the outside ground on the septic side of the house, the tank is actually down hill just a little.

My problem, my lower level toilet sits on a 1 inch thick slab of marble, I suppose to make it a little higher than the septic line.

The slab got broken by a shyster handy man putting in new wax gaskets, I have a second question about these gaskets.

Would you by any chance know if the studs holding the toilet down are most likely flat heads studs pushed through the marble, orset into the poured concrete floor?

Second, the handy man said a setup like this, on the 1 inch slab, requires two wax gaskets. is this true?

Again thanks.


My project it to replace the broken slab and reset & seal toilet.
The bolts holding the toilet to the floor have a flat base. These flat bases slide into slots on either side of the flange upon which the toilet is set. These bolts are "supposed" to be secured to this flange by brass nuts.
It sounds to me that the marble was added later. There was probably a tile floor before the marble? That would account for the flange being so low. It was originally set for a thinner floor covering. If the flange was installed to accommodate marble, then the plumber crapped the bed on the install! Two options; you can chip away the marble, and remove the flange, raise the closet bend to the proper height and re-install the flange. Or, you can add additional wax gaskets to help create a proper seal, just like your handyman said.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top