Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, first and foremost this is a picture thread.
Posters should post pic of a watch they desire but can't quite swing it yet for one reason or another.
Next is to post a picture of their very own homage watch they found to scratch the itch.
I think you guys know where I'm heading with this so let's start.

Love the chrono style of this watch...

But honestly can't afford it but then I found this...

For all the savings, I'm able to try the watch with other straps!

Now, let's see them homage watches folks! Please don't be shy now.
~v~

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, how can anyone say no to this iconic piece, really?

Ok, I want one but since it's a Rolex, entry is not as easy. Thank goodness for a local hardware store find to scratch the itch a little bit.:biggrin1::biggrin1:

It even has Indiglo, ha! :biggrin1:

Tried it on leather as well and it looks great!

This super affordable belongs to the Home of Homage!
Please do share yours folk!
~v~

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, AtomicTom! If that is your choice for an homage and it scratches the itch for the original, so be it.
Welcome to the Home of Homage!
That submariner is simply awesome but again, can't really swing it myself so I think this much more affordable piece will do.
Besides I really like the 38mm size of this affordable for my small wrist.

I have the sterile Parnis but I'm on the fence to call it an homage.
More like a blatant rip-off really. If you guys consider this an homage that's cool too.
As long as one is happy, it's all good. Surprisingly, it's actually a good functioning accurate watch, so I wear it!

Hey, keep it coming folks!

~v~

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean. I have one Dan Henry and I really like it.
Yes, a blatant rip-off or an homage if you will.
Besides, what's my chance of finding an authentic original, let alone afford one.
That should not prevent me from appreciating the beauty of this watch...

Dan Henry 1963...

~v~

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I know what you mean. I have one Dan Henry and I really like it.
Yes, a blatant rip-off or an homage if you will.
Besides, what's my chance of finding an authentic original, let alone afford one.
That should not prevent me from appreciating the beauty of this watch...
Nope, appreciate away. I'm a bit of a hypocrite really, I sold the Geckota in part because it bugged me how blatant a copy it is, (yup I'm so naive I didn't even know about the Heuer Camaro) but also, I just didn't find myself wearing the thing.

The hypocrisy comes in with the 1970. Not only do I love that watch, I feel like it is a copy/homage of something rather obscure. Of course I may be naive about that too. :D

·
Registered
5,308 Posts

From left to right: the original Z.R.C. Grand Fonds, my CREPAS L'océan and finally the modern version of the Z.R.C. Grand Fonds 300 (beautiful watch).

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you understand. We get so hypocritical and snobbish at times really with this hobby/passion of ours.
I've been guilty of that myself but that limits the enjoyment the more I look at it.
I just wear what I know I can easily afford and looks good on my wrist.
I'm also happy for those that can swing originals, bravo for them!

Here is a badass looking piece.
Too busy perhaps but the knurling is cool, toolish, and oozes testosterone.
This Breitling would undoubtedly break my bank though...

and this one won't...

:biggrin1:

~v~

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where is there a copy from someone with no imagination, and where is there an homage?

I think this is a better homage than most of the things Timex or Dan Henry have done.

Just copy if you don't have the ability to think creativity.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
The Certina DS-2 Super PH1000M:

My Helson Turtle:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good one there GoodWatch!
Wow! So spot on!:biggrin1:

Thanks for following the protocol btw and thanks for posting your very own homage!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Good one there GoodWatch!
Wow! So spot on!:biggrin1:

Thanks for following the protocol btw and thanks for posting your very own homage!

If you allow me some thoughts, I’ll tell you how this one went. But first the homage phenomenon. To defend my own choices (because that it’s partially what it is), both CREPAS and Helson make very, very well executed homages where Helson has gone one step further. An almost 1 to 1 copy. As they did with the Helson Sharkmaster 600, which was BY FAR the best Omega Ploprof homage ever made. Ever. I missed out on that beauty by about 2 months, Helson ceased production years ago. To my great disappointment.

Because I’m also a bit naïve I like to think that Helson’s owner really admires the originals and thus decided to recreate them. CREPAS does true homages, not 1 to 1 copies but an interpretation.

And now for the Turtle. I bought it because I really like the styling of that watch. It was after I started wearing it that I discovered it is based on an existing watch, decades out of production.

BTW, my name is Frans :D

Reactions: BevoWatch
1 - 20 of 90 Posts