Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get some feedback on an issue that recently came to my attention. As I was pouring through the forums and reading up on watches (Steinhart Smurf specifically) I read a question in the comments that went like this:

Why is it ok and acceptable to buy these homage watches but buying fakes and knockoffs is unacceptable and unethical? These microbrands have resources to make something truly unique but we buy these "fakes" from them and it's totally fine.

I paraphrased but that was the main point. Most of the replies where trash talk on fakes but nobody actually addressed the question.

I personally would pick up a few of the Steinharts if they became available to me and have no personal issue with the homage watch in general. But it was an interesting question, to me at least, and was wondering if anybody has any input on this?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
because...a fake is a counterfeit which involves trademark infringement

an homage is an interpretation of a theme wherein ...hopefully... the boutique avoids patent & trademark infringement

boutique divers OK by me

not interested in counterfeits as i am not interested in contributing to profits of counterfeiters

STEINNY gives you a choice of HOMAGE or ORIGINAL DESIGN...frankly, mostly their ROLLIE homages float my boat...'cause like with the OCEAN 1 PREMIUM BLUE i got a respectable tool for 6 C notes that comes within spitting distance of the 100 BENJAMIN FRANKLIN Real McCoy...don't care if peeps on other forums hate it because she's beautiful

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are fine by me as well. I think the original poster was saying that the micro brands that make homage watches are doing nothing original except tinkering enough so as not to infringe on copyright laws. That makes them, essentially, high quality knockoffs. I can understand that point of view and wonder if we shouldn't, as the consumer, be pushing these brands to develop original and unique new watches.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
They are fine by me as well. I think the original poster was saying that the micro brands that make homage watches are doing nothing original except tinkering enough so as not to infringe on copyright laws. That makes them, essentially, high quality knockoffs. I can understand that point of view and wonder if we shouldn't, as the consumer, be pushing these brands to develop original and unique new watches.
smoking is legal, drinking is legal, mustang ranch is legal,med 420 legal, homage watches are legal ( IF THEY ARE CAREFUL TO STAY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE LAW )

I ENJOY A GOOD HOMAGE 'CAUSE UNLIKE SOME OF MY LUCKY FORUM BROS I WILL NEVER DROP 50-200 BENJAMIN FRANKLINS ON A SWISS GRAIL TRADEMARK TOOL

homage is as close as i come.. and that seems to itch the scratch....AND I GOT NO AGENDA AND NO DOG IN THE FIGHT...the last thing i give a shite about is "pushing" a boutique into original designs

enjoy my homagies just fine...KING CASE RETRO TOOL floats my boat. love to play JACQUES COUSTEAU & LLOYD BRIDGES while i do my deepest desk dive and have a sweet lunch or dinner with the old lady .....original designs...not my thing

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the type of comment that I've read before. I'm not knocking any watch or what anybody wears. If you like it wear it. I'm just trying to get some feedback on the original question, that's all.

Essentially, why is a knockoff watch ok from a "reputable" source and should microbrands use their resources to develop original designs instead.

Again, not my opinion or question. Nor am I trying to have a debate on the legality of anything. Just wanted to hear what others thought about this particular question.

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is the type of comment that I've read before. I'm not knocking any watch or what anybody wears. If you like it wear it. I'm just trying to get some feedback on the original question, that's all.

Essentially, why is a knockoff watch ok from a "reputable" source and should microbrands use their resources to develop original designs instead.

Again, not my opinion or question. Nor am I trying to have a debate on the legality of anything. Just wanted to hear what others thought about this particular question.
Thinking scotty already answered your question ...
"because...a fake is a counterfeit which involves trademark infringement"
Homages are not fakes, or cross the line into trademark infrigement territory
most homages like the hundreds of Rolex Subs look alikes, are based on expired trademaks designs.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Because there is nothing wrong with an homage watch. You can wear the look of something you may never be able to afford in the original without breaking the law and contributing to counterfeits. It is that simple. Buy the Steinhart and enjoy it. It is not the Rolex. But they don't claim to be. I'd rather own that then some fake that is passing itself off as the Rolex.

Reactions: Roarry and scotty

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
i have read those threads...

cheer leaders for "original designs " and haters of homages

guess this thread aint baited the hook sufficiently for those peeps to post

EDDIEA makes a good point...EXPIRED PATENTS & TRADEMARKS are fair game legal ...LIKE THE 1911 MILITARY PISTOL...PATENT EXPIRED...UBIQUITOUSLY COPIED

i'll take mine legal and enjoy the working man's homage just like SPACEVIEW said

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not cheerleading anything nor am I hating on homages. If you think I'm baiting the hook or trolling feel free to ignore this post. I've stated clearly I have no problem with these watches. In fact I was reading up on a Steinhart Smurf, because I am looking to purchase, when I came upon this question on another forum. I thought it was interesting.

If an homage is esentially a high quality knockoff why is it acceptable to buy them as opposed to other knockoffs from less reputable sources?
NOT MY QUESTION BUT AN INTERESTING OPINION

Should the microbrands be making unique watches or flooding the market with the same looking homages?

Thought I could get some interesting perspectives on these statements as they had never occurred to me.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Here's the bottom line on it. Some like homages, some don't.

I honestly have no issue with them.
Would it be great to have micro brands doing original designs? Sure.
But not all do, and the homage companies do very well, so people are buying them.

As long as it's legal, it's all good.

And if it's acceptable to you, then it's ok.

Remember, some folks just have a stick up their ass. Homages do not hurt anyone, some people are just trying to make a buck, and if their is a market for it, why not. Again as long as it's legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
If an homage is esentially a high quality knockoff why is it acceptable to buy them as opposed to other knockoffs from less reputable sources?

Should the microbrands be making unique watches or flooding the market with the same looking homages?
NOT MY QUESTION BUT AN INTERESTING OPINION.
You are missing the point. An homage is not a "knockoff" (i.e., copy, fake). It is a legit watch, properly labeled and sold. As long as you think it is a knockoff this conversation can't really proceed.

Microbrands should do whatever they want. Some are innovative some are not. It is your opinion that they are "flooding" the market. I do not see it that way. I see them offering some unique watches and some catalog watches. It is up to you what you buy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Already answered question, so I'm assuming you have some time to kill tonight ..
Buddy, I'm not looking for an "answer" I want different perspectives on the topic. As I've stated numerous times already. As I've also stated numerous times, it is not my question. My time seems to be occupied explaining myself to people who are not sure what I'm talking about or think I'm trolling.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's the original quote without the clever edit, eddiea.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
I think you got your answer and yet you are still pressing the same issue. That gets close to trolling in my book. I think you either need to bring something new to the conversation or let it go. I'm not inclined to keep this thread open much longer.

Those of you who know me know that I rarely close a thread. Maybe a handful in 6 years as a Mod and now as an Admin. But I will close one if I need to. This one is very close to pushing my button which will make me push the "close the thread" button. Just a warning for now.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I really don't see how it is that difficult to differentiate. A homage pays homage, or takes styling clues, from another. A copy, fake or counterfeit is different. Its easy if you think about it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am very disappointed with how this has developed. Allow me to clarify if I can.

1. I was looking for a discussion, not any one particular "answer".
2. Nobody seems to be actually reading my posts. Including you space view, you said I thought an homage is a knockoff and I think the market is flooded by microbrands. I tried to make it very clear these were not my personal opinions but jumping off points, from another post I had read, for a discussion.
3. At this point my original intent has been lost and I am spending time trying to defend the original post.

You can look back at the posts I've made and see I am not in the business of trolling, it's all there.

Feel free to delete this post if you'd like, I'm done with this subject.

·
Registered
527 Posts
A lot of the parts for the copies by Steinhart and other such brands come from the same factories that make the fakes, all they do is change the brand name on the dial, so I don't like them at all. They are also way overpriced IMO compared to the fakes available in Asia, for example. But it doesn't bother me if other people want to wear copies or fakes or whatever - it's just a watch after all. But no, I wouldn't wear a Steinhart or Armida or whatever branded copy watch.

Legal / Illegal doesn't really bother me. I don't derive my personal ethics and morals from the law.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
I was hoping to get some feedback on an issue ............

Why is it ok and acceptable to buy these homage watches but buying fakes and knockoffs is unacceptable and unethical? These microbrands have resources to make something truly unique but we buy these "fakes" from them and it's totally fine.
Here is my reply

1) It is OK to buy a homage if a brand creates a watch and puts their company name on it. (example - Steinhart puts out a watch that looks similar to a design by another company. The company name on the dial says Steinhart)

2) It is NOT OK to buy a replica. This is illegal. To be clear a replica is a watch that someone produces and then puts ANOTHER COMPANY'S name on it and tries to illegally sell that watch as the original.

3) If a microbrand "has or does not have the resources" is irrelevant.
As long as they are not copying another company's watch (or trademarked design) AND putting the original company's name on the dial, then nothing has been done wrong. If the microbrand puts out a watch that is similar to another brand's model but they legally put their name on the dial so a buyer clearly knows it is not a replica, and you don't like this - don't buy it.

That simple. I believe that directly answers your question.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Legally homages are ok because they can't turn into counterfeits.
Your post is perfectly fine. In the end the only thing that matters is your quote above. Homages are legal currently. Replica counterfeits are illegal.

and

Replica sellers are not selling it as the original. They are clearly selling it as a copy. It is illegal because the replica can then turn into a counterfeit.
Replica sellers are selling as the original. There are replicas that are very very expensive, but just not as expensive as the original. They are clearly and absolutely being fraudulently sold as the original.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts