Watch Freeks banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I want to talk about an iconic watch from 1970 that has such a radical design that it is both loved and hated at the same time. The original manufacturer produces their own homage to this watch since 2016, which is a somewhat more modern take on the 1970 design. But at first glance they look the same. This watch was very recently suggested to a member who will be able to spend 10K on a watch.

The 1970 version came with some very special innovations, but this time combined in one watch. And the watch was specifically geared towards professional divers. Underwater welders that work on oil rigs, deep sea divers, etc.

The watch has a mono block case, meaning it comes without a separate case back and the movement can only be accessed through the dial side. This was one of the measures to insure a 60 BAR water resistance. The other measures are a 4 mm thick AR coated mineral crystal and a special threaded locking mechanism to pull the crown onto its seals.To insure the timing bezel cannot move once it was set (very important in an era without dive computers), it can only be rotated after pushing a button.

It's build like a tank and is the ultimate tool watch and therefore won't win any prizes at a beauty contest :D I have only interest in the 1970 original but mint exemplars need the assistance of a personal loan so this rules it out.

But the good folks at Helson have produced for what must be one of the most faithful homages that can (or rather, could) be bought for a fraction of the price of the original. And I want one, bad. I missed out on their first production run years ago. I stumbled on a link and in the link a reference and email address so I made an enquiry. Only to find out the watch was long sold out and out of production. So I bought another Helson instead, also a perfect homage to a 70s dive watch.

I visit the Helson site from time to time and lo and behold, on 30 November a new production run of their homage was announced but yet again I was too late! Sold out! Every version sold out. (I discovered this announcement three days ago). Rats! I've sent them an email asking if another production run is in the cards and maybe, just maybe there will be one.

I'm talking about the Omega Seamaster Professional 600 of course, better known as the 'Ploprof'. (Plongeur Professionnel, or professional diver). The Helson version is called the Sharkmaster 600. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Helson needs the "click here to alert me when item is back in stock" feature. You may have a long silver beard and a few marbles rolling around by then ;-)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I rather like the real deal Omega posted by Eric in another thread which you alluded to, not that I'd ever consider buying one for a number of reasons.

And without any intention of opening a can of worms, I'm yet to see any microbrand pay "homage" to any of the watches that they've copied/done a design rip off of in any of their documention or on any of their sites. It would be naive to even think that they would.

I suppose imitation is probably one of the sincerest forms of flattery.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I rather like the real deal Omega posted by Eric in another thread which you alluded to, not that I'd ever consider buying one for a number of reasons.

And without any intention of opening a can of worms, I'm yet to see any microbrand pay "homage" to any of the watches that they've copied/done a design rip off of in any of their documention or on any of their sites. It would be naive to even think that they would.

Good luck

Nothing exemplifies this more than Mark II watches. Conjure up some Homage, tout it as being almost hand made and finished, make limited amounts (Rolex's marketing model) to drive up the pricing make your mindless drone customers drink the Koolaid and put down money on pre-orders of a watch like the "Project 300" Omega copy, and then 7 years later still no watch.

This Flim Flam outfit still has a whole section dedicated to it on Watchuseek, unbelievable!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

And without any intention of opening a can of worms, I'm yet to see any microbrand pay "homage" to any of the watches that they've copied/done a design rip off of in any of their documentation or on any of their sites. It would be naive to even think that they would.

Good luck
You are right of course. I believe CREPAS are the only company who made mention of the originals they were copying. For example: the Sandoz Typhoon became the CREPAS Tornado. In their initial communication about this watch it was mentioned but now (because the watch is sold out) there's no additional information to be found.

Regarding the Omega, to me it's the other way around. The 1200 Professional has become too 'slick'. It's the same way (another potential can of worms) Rolex has treated the Sea-Dweller. From a tough tool watch (Sub on steroids) to a Desk Diver's Delight :D None of these watches are within my reach financially but if I had the dosh I would buy a 16600 or earlier model. The asking price for a mint 16600 has become ludicrous, over twice that of the original catalogue price.

Reactions: Reflex

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Helson needs the "click here to alert me when item is back in stock" feature. You may have a long silver beard and a few marbles rolling around by then ;-)

If this is your way to make me feel better about this, you failed :D :D :D

Reactions: enricosonic

·
Super Moderator
9,701 Posts
Good luck Frans ! :thumb::smile1:

You never know also sir, maybe they will have a couple that didn't
end up going out to customers. ..Maybe even more than a few ! :)
At least I hope so. ..It really is such an incredible watch, and like
Helson did an unbelievably nice job staying true to the original.
Really is spectacular. Keep us posted on things !

P.S., you have terrific taste Frans !!!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck Frans ! :thumb::smile1:

You never know also sir, maybe they will have a couple that didn't
end up going out to customers. ..Maybe even more than a few ! :)
At least I hope so. ..It really is such an incredible watch, and like
Helson did an unbelievably nice job staying true to the original.
Really is spectacular. Keep us posted on things !

P.S., you have terrific taste Frans !!!
Thanks. Alas, today I received the reply that they have only one left and that has already been reserved for a customer. So unless that customer cancels the order it yet again isn’t going to happen. But there are worse things in the world. There’s an ‘affordable’ one on eBay but I’m very reluctant to spend an amount like that on a watch from a seller that doesn’t do returns.

·
Super Moderator
9,701 Posts
Thanks. Alas, today I received the reply that they have only one left and that has already been reserved for a customer. So unless that customer cancels the order it yet again isn’t going to happen. But there are worse things in the world. There’s an ‘affordable’ one on eBay but I’m very reluctant to spend an amount like that on a watch from a seller that doesn’t do returns.

Thank YOU sir ! :happy0065: :) Am still going to think positive on this Frans,
and hope that we will see more show up. I mean you never know, and
am thinking there could be a couple more cancellations at the end of
the day. But even if there aren't I think your patience will pay off for
you with these. Because they will either get more of these variations
in stock, or create new versions that you like even more in the future.

At least that is what I am hoping for you. :thumb:

·
Registered
634 Posts

it doesnt matter if the seller does returns or not.

"no returns" is a paper tiger threat as far as ebay goes.

even if they say no returns, all you have to do is give ebay SOME tiny half assed reason why its "not as described" or some "thing" that wasnt mentioned, or it "isnt running properly" (which doesnt have to be proven to ebay at all) and ebay will make them take the return AND cover shipping costs back.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have purchased the watch, it will be shipped 2 January next. You only live once :D Because this is not the only watch that is coming my way I can safely state that my watch quota for 2020 is already fulfilled. Perhaps even for 2021 as well.

After I have received it I will do a small review and I will try to be as objective as I can. In that same post I will reveal the other watches that I have ordered but if you look closely at my signature, two of them will come as no surprise. The third one will arrive in June 2020 and to me represents the whole 60s watch universe embodied in a single watch and a forgotten brand resurrected again.

It's close to midnight here so I want to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and healthy 2020 and remember that watches are just objects.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank YOU sir ! :happy0065: :) Am still going to think positive on this Frans,
and hope that we will see more show up. I mean you never know, and
am thinking there could be a couple more cancellations at the end of
the day. But even if there aren't I think your patience will pay off for
you with these. Because they will either get more of these variations
in stock, or create new versions that you like even more in the future.

At least that is what I am hoping for you. :thumb:

See my post above. I made the decision because I missed out on a few other watches because of waiting and doubting too long (CREPAS). Your support is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have purchased the watch, it will be shipped 2 January next. You only live once :D Because this is not the only watch that is coming my way I can safely state that my watch quota for 2020 is already fulfilled. Perhaps even for 2021 as well.

After I have received it I will do a small review and I will try to be as objective as I can. In that same post I will reveal the other watches that I have ordered but if you look closely at my signature, two of them will come as no surprise. The third one will arrive in June 2020 and to me represents the whole 60s watch universe embodied in a single watch and a forgotten brand resurrected again.

It's close to midnight here so I want to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and healthy 2020 and remember that watches are just objects.
I look forward to hearing your impressions of this one. Cheers, here's to 2020.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I look forward to hearing your impressions of this one. Cheers, here's to 2020.

Cheers mate! in my neck of the woods 77 million Euro worth of fireworks being lit right now. A new record. It will calm down around 02.30 :D It's a war zone :D I used to buy fireworks as a kid, now I find it a waste of money. Have one on me.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Cheers mate! in my neck of the woods 77 million Euro worth of fireworks being lit right now. A new record. It will calm down around 02.30 :D It's a war zone :D I used to buy fireworks as a kid, now I find it a waste of money. Have one on me.
I will pour a tall one in your honor! Could be several tall ones involved. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just saw this and haven't been around for some time. I see you already purchased, but here is even a less expensive alternative that I picked up sometime ago. Perhaps some of the other members may be interested.

I have to say it is a pretty decent 2nd or 3rd choice (nothing can replace the Omega!). The quality is here and really punches above it's weight class. I wanted to see if the original would be a good fit. I must say, that I like it a lot

·
Registered
232 Posts
The watch looks great. Some watch enthusiasts hate homage watches, which has always confused me. I don't care how much a watch looks like another, as long as the name on the dial is different. In the real world (outside watch collecting) most things are a homage. Nearly every consumable on the market is designed around something else. I have a couple of Heimdallr Sharkey watches, which are homages to Seiko models. The funny thing is that the Sharkey watches are considerably better, and cost half as much !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts