Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kidding, but it is from the ISS! very cool!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are three more videos of the Comet NEOWISE in High Rez!

These are dedicated to the cowardly "Boo"...​

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is an actual picture a friend of mine took himself and it looks better than anything else I've seen!!!
Great Shot!!!

I had to knock the size down to 1920 X 1280 because the original was way too big to even upload at 8256 X 5504 !!!​

·
Super Moderator
9,886 Posts
Yeah, that IS cool honestly, and I swear it almost looks unreal at first. 😯
Almost as if it were computer graphics, or something. I think it's maybe
because I watch too many sci-fi movies actually. 😊

By the way, your friends' picture is really terrific ! ..Out of this world stuff
Steve. :alien: Appreciate you posting about this, and showing us all of the
videos, along with pics. THX !!!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That picture my friend took blows me away, it's as good if not better than most pro-level photographers I've seen!

·
Super Moderator
9,886 Posts
That picture my friend took blows me away, it's as good if not better than most pro-level photographers I've seen!
Just the picture alone of the sky, stars, and everything without the comet
is stunning ! 😯 Then to catch the comet too?! 😀 Really is great, you're
right ! ..Can't even imagine what it would have looked like if I pointed my
camera skywards. 😊

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are more pics from where that first one came from. I shot that first pic from Pope Valley, just west of Lake Berryessa. Here are a few more from that shoot.

This one I kinda messed up as the exposure was too long and I got a little trailing.

This image ended up being a monster. 43.7mb Jpeg... from my work yesterday morning.

Enjoy,
Will

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HEY, what's up Will! I was just talking about you! lol

Great to have you aboard and let me be the first to welcome you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do sell my stuff if anyone is interested. That said, I'm not sure how some of the comet pics will print in large size, they might have too much digital noise to look really good printed 20x30 or larger. I'd guess smaller than 20x30 might look really good.

Will

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you a professional photographer or is it just a hobby because those are some great photos?

Now that I know this about you you're going to have to give me some lessons because my watch pictures suck, I have no idea how to use a camera beyond pointing it at something and pushing the button on top! lol

It's great to have you here, You know I think my good friend SAM2 from watch talk forums just joined the other day if I'm not mistaken?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you a professional photographer or is it just a hobby because those are some great photos?

Now that I know this about you you're going to have to give me some lessons because my watch pictures suck, I have no idea how to use a camera beyond pointing it at something and pushing the button on top! lol

It's great to have you here, You know I think my good friend SAM2 from watch talk forums just joined the other day if I'm not mistaken?
Am I a professional? Define professional. Do I make any real $ off my stuff? No. (Everyone seems to love my stuff until its time to pay for it, then they all run away.) Have I been published in several different countries? Yes. Would I like to be able to make a living doing this? Yeah it would be an interesting change, but I'd have to sell a lot of pics.

As for doing macro photography, that I'm kinda new to. Still trying to figure that one out. Its all about the lighting and having a good macro lens. I have the lens, I don't have the lighting (yet).
My main focus (pun intended...) is aviation photography, but when I have the chance to shoot things like comets and other rare astronomical occurrences, I'm on it. (Although I have been known to drop the ball during total solar eclipses... "Wow, that is awesome... Oh crap its dark and I failed to change my camera settings...) Lightning over an airshow? Heck yeah, Lightning in general, you bet. An awesome sunset, yes please. My favorite thing to shoot is showing motion. Clouds, cars, airplanes, boats, water, doesn't matter, but with most of my stuff there is something in motion.

Without slipping too far off topic, here is a random selection of stuff I've shot in the past year.

Will

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh Jesus those are great! In this day and age and with photoshop and the internet I imagine it's getting harder for a professional to make a good living from that hard work?

·
Registered
22 Posts
People who digitally create an image on a computer, in photoshop that never actually happened really irritate me. That isn't photography, that is digital art. Yes, it takes talent to do, and I sure as heck can't do it, but its not photography. The part that irritates me most is the fact that they can create an image from nothing of something that I've spent days, weeks, months, whatever scouting out, setting up and making happen and think nothing of it, and in some cases have never even picked up a camera.

The internet is a double edged sword, you can share the pics with more people easily, but the bigger issue is, so can everyone else so your work gets lost in the mix unless it stands out in some way. Now with cell phones having cameras, everyone thinks they are a photographer. Some of the pics look okay on a phone, sometimes on the computer, but rarely when printed, especially when printed even 8.5x11. There are some people who have done quite well marketing their stuff. Sometimes its good stuff, but others seem to sell stuff that just leaves me wondering how the heck they sell anything because they have no talent, yet people buy their stuff. I think I've sold stuff to perhaps 10 people total. Lots of people ask, when I tell them I'd like to cover a small part of my costs, they aren't interested. It just leaves me sitting there scratching my head thinking, what the hell? I've had several of the teams from the Reno air races find stuff on their planes that have turned into serious modifications to their planes, sometimes for safety sometimes for speed, sometimes for both. I've shot amazing stuff for the EAA that no one else got, was it published? Nope. When it comes to getting stuff published, I have no clue what will get published and what won't. I see stuff that is published and wonder what the heck were they thinking printing that? The stuff of mine that typically gets published usually leaves me wondering why they chose the shot because I didn't think it was that great of a shot. I guess I should just be happy to volunteer shots to be published and be happy if they make it to print. Kind of a lousy way to look at it, but short of printing my own books, making a buck off a shot has proven difficult.

Will

·
Super Moderator
9,886 Posts
Breathtaking work Will, and very cool of you to put them up for
us to enjoy like this. Thank you !!! 😎(y)

Can't imagine taking pictures like this, but sure like looking at
them. 🙂 You evidently have a real talent for doing this. It's
incredible to see ! Want to say hello, and welcome you to the
forum !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Breathtaking work Will, and very cool of you to put them up for
us to enjoy like this. Thank you !!! 😎(y)

Can't imagine taking pictures like this, but sure like looking at
them. 🙂 You evidently have a real talent for doing this. It's
incredible to see ! Want to say hello, and welcome you to the
forum !
Thanks.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Part of being able to take a good shot is imagining, and believing that you can that you can. I got my first DSLR in 2011. I saw some pictures that I thought were just amazing and asked how to shoot similar images. The request was ignored. So, I set out to figure out how to do it myself. It took a monumental amount of experimentation to figure out how to do it. Later on I discovered the way the photographer that I was trying to emulate was getting his pictures was by replacing part of the shot (In this case a transparent propeller on an airplane.) He would shoot a sharp image and replace the prop in photoshop. I just taught myself how to shoot a slow enough shutter speed to do it for real. I took a lot of flack for posting pics that weren't tack sharp and after awhile it really started to irritate me, so I set out to be better than the guys giving me a hard time about it. I got better equipment, and improved my skills, until I started getting compliments on my work from the same people who were criticizing me not too many years before. It was a bit of a rough ride, but in the end I now have people wondering how I shoot 1/40 sec shutter speed at 500mm of a target going 400+ mph 200 feet away (or less) You simply have to believe you can do it, and then practice till you can. Even now, I know when I'm rusty as I can't shoot at those setting with any sort of repeatability. I'll get perhaps 1 in 30, when I'm on, I'll get 8 or 10 without too much trouble.

For shooting the static stuff, you just have to have patience and it will come. There might be some experimentation here and there, but pixels are free and the only thing being wasted is time (Like with a limited viewing time before the light goes away or something like that.)

Will

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just had a go at finding the comet tonight. Its fairly easy, likely very easy if you live in a dark place and clear sky. Find the big dipper, take the two stars that make up the bottom portion of the ladle, and follow them down toward the horizon. Its sitting low on the horizon about 10:20pm. It also looks like the tail has grown since Sunday.

Here is a quick and dirty shot from my backyard. (I even managed to get a meteor in the shot toward the top.)

Will

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those are some great pictures Will and most people have seen Comets in pictures before BUT have you ever really seen what the Comets inside the vast cloud of gas and dust actually look like? If you answered no, See one for the first time now!

·
Super Moderator
9,886 Posts
Thanks.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Part of being able to take a good shot is imagining, and believing that you can that you can. I got my first DSLR in 2011. I saw some pictures that I thought were just amazing and asked how to shoot similar images. The request was ignored. So, I set out to figure out how to do it myself. It took a monumental amount of experimentation to figure out how to do it. Later on I discovered the way the photographer that I was trying to emulate was getting his pictures was by replacing part of the shot (In this case a transparent propeller on an airplane.) He would shoot a sharp image and replace the prop in photoshop. I just taught myself how to shoot a slow enough shutter speed to do it for real. I took a lot of flack for posting pics that weren't tack sharp and after awhile it really started to irritate me, so I set out to be better than the guys giving me a hard time about it. I got better equipment, and improved my skills, until I started getting compliments on my work from the same people who were criticizing me not too many years before. It was a bit of a rough ride, but in the end I now have people wondering how I shoot 1/40 sec shutter speed at 500mm of a target going 400+ mph 200 feet away (or less) You simply have to believe you can do it, and then practice till you can. Even now, I know when I'm rusty as I can't shoot at those setting with any sort of repeatability. I'll get perhaps 1 in 30, when I'm on, I'll get 8 or 10 without too much trouble.

For shooting the static stuff, you just have to have patience and it will come. There might be some experimentation here and there, but pixels are free and the only thing being wasted is time (Like with a limited viewing time before the light goes away or something like that.)

Will
Don't mention it, and thank YOU very much for sharing your insight
like this !🙂 It's great hearing just how determined you were to get
better, and better at taking pictures. To the point where all of the sudden
you were basically giving lessons to everyone else. It's just spectacular ! 😲

In the beginning you were just the learner, and now you are the master !😎
( That's from Star Wars) 😀 But it really seems to pertain to you with
photographer, and your journey. Think it's really amazing, as well as
extremely impressive. ..You should, or have to be so proud, and happy
Will. Thanks again !!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Those are some great pictures Will and most people have seen Comets in pictures before BUT have you ever really seen what the Comets inside the vast cloud of gas and dust actually look like? If you answered no, See one for the first time now!

So here is something to ponder. Does the off gassing of the nucleus act as a form of propulsion for it?
The Rosetta program is facentating. A bold and challenging mission no doubt about it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So here is something to ponder. Does the off gassing of the nucleus act as a form of propulsion for it?
The Rosetta program is facentating. A bold and challenging mission no doubt about it.
Yes, You bet!

Every little push no matter how small matters in space, It all adds up over time...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts