Watch Freeks banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could use some help ! I have many Deep Blues but I am having a problem with my Searam 500. I think its a Rhonda 715 swiss quartz movement. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

1. When I went to put it on today the seconds hand is freezing and jumping in 4 second intervals. So far after 4 hours the time looks accurate but the seconds hand is acting up. It is a Freeze then 4 second jump.
2. The watch is just over 2 years since i purchased it so even my American Express will not cover repairs.
3. Can this be battery related, I heard the watch had a 10 year lithium battery?? Anybody ever seen this before? I have been collecting for 30+ years and this is new to me!
4. I did not by this watch at the low clearance price I payed $240 so if anyone can give me some info to save me some $$$ I would greatly Appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes, that is the battery life indicator. When the second hand pause and starts moving in 4-seconds intervals, then it is time to change the battery. Your watch will continue to run like this for 1 - 3 weeks before it stops working. If you do have a Swiss Rhonda 715 movement then you have a 60-month (5 year) battery.

But Sea Ram 500 are also made with Swiss Rhonda 515 movement which has a 3 year battery life.

I have never heard of a lithium diving watch battery that will last 10 years. Which would seem odd to me because most makers of Dive watch would want you to replace the gasket on the crystal, crown, and case-back every 3 - 4 years in order to maintain the water resistance rating as it ages. Because temperature, shocks, sudden movement, and chemicals can affect water-resistance.

So, it would make sense to replace the battery at the same time you are having the gaskets replace.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You! I checked and it is a Ronda 715, I am not sure where I heard about 10 year lithium? its not on DB website. Glad it is a battery change and not a defective movement! it was bad enough When they were selling for under $150 during the Holidays and I payed $240.
Again Thank You! I never had seen that happen! Never to old to get educated!!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
You welcome. I'm glad I could assist. But, when you take it somewhere to replace the battery, you should tell them to replace the gasket on the case-back with a new one. Sorry, if I seem to be repeating myself.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks will do! 26 months not to good for a watch battery, I guess it was sitting around for a while before I bought it!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Maverick, you sound like you really know what you are talking about. Are you in the watch industry? Also where in the Bay Area are you? I'm in Milpitas. Feel free to PM me if you would rather not disclose any info publicly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maverick, you sound like you really know what you are talking about. Are you in the watch industry? Also where in the Bay Area are you? I'm in Milpitas. Feel free to PM me if you would rather not disclose any info publicly.
Karlito, Hello fellow Bay Area person! No, I am not in the watch industry. I have been reading a lot about watches, and it just so happens that I read about the battery life indicator last week (especially the ones on Rhonda). I was pleasantly surprised that someone asked about the 4-second jumping intervals. I had the answer right away; timing is everything!

I am in South San Francisco, just off I-280. But, I go to the Great Mall where you are sometimes.

PM me to talk about things that may not be watch related.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts