Watch Freeks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Could anyone help me identify the watch shown in the photo above? I know this is insanely difficult as the photo is very old, black & white and overexposed in the watch area. However, I just hope that someone can do it.The guy in the photo is Ernst Ruska, here's a few passages about him from Wikipedia:

Ernst August Friedrich Ruska (25 December 1906 – 27 May 1988[1]) was aGermanphysicistwho won theNobel Prize in Physicsin 1986 for his work inelectron optics, including the design of the firstelectron microscope.After completing his PhD in 1933, Ruska continued to work in the field of electron optics, first at Fernseh Ltd in Berlin-Zehlendorf, and then from 1937 atSiemens-Reiniger-Werke AG. At Siemens, he was involved in developing the first commercially produced electron microscope in 1939. As well as developing the technology of electron microscopy while at Siemens, Ruska also worked at other scientific institutions, and encouraged Siemens to set up a laboratory for visiting researchers, which was initially headed by Ruska's brotherHelmut, a medical doctor who developed the use of the electron microscope for medical and biological applications.
After leaving Siemens in 1955, Ruska served as director of the Institute for Electron Microscopy of theFritz Haber Instituteuntil 1974. Concurrently, he served at the institute and as professor at theTechnical University of Berlinfrom 1957 until his retirement in 1974.
In 1986, he was awarded half of the Nobel Prize in Physics for his many achievements in electron optics;Gerd BinnigandHeinrich Rohrerwon a quarter each for their design of thescanning tunneling microscope. He died inWest Berlinin 1988.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I can only assume that it is around 1986, when he received his Nobel Prize. The photo is from his biography page on nobelprize.org.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts