Watch Freeks banner

Hello from Istanbul

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  HpointA 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm from Istanbul-Turkey. I have been around for years looking. Now here I am to discuss all about watches. I hope I learn more..
I am mechanical engineer and work for a crane company as designer. I like moving mechanical parts since childhood. No matter it is huge or micro level :)
IMO watch movements are the perfect machines even the simplest of them.

I have a Sinn140/42 with lemania 5100, the one which is my favorite. And a few others. Not a collection but some nice watches I like. I hope to share a photo of them soon.
I really interested in watchmaking, repairing like many other members of this forum. I always have some projects on my table and much more in my mind.
So it's good to be here at the end..

#3 ·
Welcome to our fine forum!

#11 ·
great having people from other parts of the world.

Welcome aboard!!!

Tell us a little more about the watch world in your neck of the woods -- Turkey. Whats popular, is it easy to get everything or is selection limited. How about prices. Ive lived in various parts of the world and in some places the gov likes to take a considerable cut of the action.

any rate -- enjoy.

#15 ·
Thank you all very much indeed. I am really glad to be among you watch lovers.

arogle, I couldn't get this part completely, what is the purpose of this centence by that fellow. Istanbul had called with many other names along history, first known Byzantion. Constantinople is one of its famous name, but the point is "Istanbul" the last name of this beauty. No need to stick around names..

And remember, Demi Moore was once Demetria Guynes, now it is Demi Moore :)

great having people from other parts of the world.

Welcome aboard!!!

Tell us a little more about the watch world in your neck of the woods -- Turkey. Whats popular, is it easy to get everything or is selection limited. How about prices. Ive lived in various parts of the world and in some places the gov likes to take a considerable cut of the action.

any rate -- enjoy.
slowmotion, watch world around here is similar to yours I guess. No huge watch community first of all. Nobody cares about watches without us :) Lots of fashion brands, lots of Swatches and Swatch dealers in all malls.

No difficulty about access to any brand, of course if you have enough cash :) There is a Turkish watch forum and you can see many luxury watch boxes opening. But of course that doesn't mean you can see many poeople wearing PP's or VC's on the street. Prices are a little higher than Europe I guess because of autorized dealers of luxury watches. But you can access to gray market if needed.
For other brands I can say that the most common is Seiko. You can find all new products (except for japan market product) when released with the world.
The other famous brands here among watch lovers, I mean most adviced mechanicals are firstly Tissot (particular visodate and prs516), Orient mako, Steinhart ocean1, Tag aquaracer series, Longines hydroconquest and so on..

Unfortunately the lovely German watches are less known here like Sinn or Tutima. There is no AD of these brands in Turkey. So the field watch or military watch or tool watch consepts are not well known here comparing to divers and pilots.
The "Rolex vs Seiko GS" thing exists here also that I watch it with pleasure :)

Great to have you here HpointA ! :thumb: Welcome !

Terrific hearing a little bit about you too. Think you have
come to the right place to learn. Although it sounds like
you could teach us all a thing or to about design, along
with the mechanics of watches. Wow, impressive ! :)

Impressive collection of watches too there ! Looking forward
to seeing you around WF. Have a great time !
AtomicTom thank you ver much for your good words about me, but I am not a watch designer, I really would like to be but no way. So I believe that you all allready know what I would say a thing or two about watches :rolleyes:
Though I have a thing or two tho show you soon.

#14 ·
Great to have you here HpointA ! :thumb: Welcome !

Terrific hearing a little bit about you too. Think you have
come to the right place to learn. Although it sounds like
you could teach us all a thing or to about design, along
with the mechanics of watches. Wow, impressive ! :)

Impressive collection of watches too there ! Looking forward
to seeing you around WF. Have a great time !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.