Watch Freeks banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Watch Freek
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My very first post here. Not much of a watch fan until a few months ago. I needed an analog watch, so I began searching for "the perfect watch". Ten watches and countless straps later I have yet to find the "perfect watch". One thing led to another and I began changing my own straps, batteries and making my own leather straps! I am in the process of rebuilding a couple of old watches (new movement, crown, maybe a glass to saphire replacement...).

I would ultimately like to build my own watch to my liking. Trouble I am having now is finding new steel cases. All other parts seem to be readily available, but for some reason I can't find any place that sells new cases.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Welcome to the 'madness' (ha), from another Floridian.

·
8,163 Posts
Welcome to our fine forum. There's a whole world of 'micro brands' out there and many of them source their parts in China. I suggest to fire up the ol' Google Engine and start there. There are a couple places that specialize in what I call 'Lego watch parts'. You can see that when you some research, many of the micro brands use the same cases, bezels, etc. The catch is that you need to place an order of say, at least a 1,000 cases :D BTW: the perfect watch does not exists. Neither does the perfect car, bike, shotgun, etc. They are always around the corner.

·
Watch Freek
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to our fine forum. There's a whole world of 'micro brands' out there and many of them source their parts in China. I suggest to fire up the ol' Google Engine and start there. There are a couple places that specialize in what I call 'Lego watch parts'. You can see that when you some research, many of the micro brands use the same cases, bezels, etc. The catch is that you need to place an order of say, at least a 1,000 cases :D BTW: the perfect watch does not exists. Neither does the perfect car, bike, shotgun, etc. They are always around the corner.

Regarding "the perfect watch"...so very true! For years I searched for "the perfect travel camera". After about 30 cameras, switching to several different camera brands, countless lenses for each of these brands (Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic), I never found "the perfect travel camera". As you mentioned, it was "always around the corner". 😊 Whenever I was about to go on a family vacation or weekend road trip it would take me longer to select a camera / lens combo than what it took for all of us to pack our bags for the trip! Hopefully I learned my lesson and won't fall down that rabbit hole again.

As for the watch cases, I was only able to locate one company that sells cases. They only have one style. I'm considering going to either yard sales or places where I can purchase old used watches so I can strip the parts to get the cases. I don't think I plan to build watches for business purposes; that would take way more experience, know-how and years of expertise I don't have. I would be content to simply build my own custom watch or two. ☺

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.