Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and a longtime member of the watchuseek forum. I've now joined the watchfreeks forum to get a different viewpoint on things. I'm seeking my next watch and I'm looking for a particular set of complications that seems to be hard-to-find in contemporary watch offerings. More on that later, I will make a post describing exactly what that is, but for now it seems my account doesn't have posting privileges in the other forums so I thought I'd open with an introduction post :clapping-hands-abov

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone wondering what I'm seeking, it's a watch in the $500-$1500 price range that's a worthy upgrade from my Seiko 5.

Something automatic (or, at a pinch, solar, kinetic, spring drive, or otherwise externally powered so the watch isn't at the mercy of battery availability).

Must have metal strap.

I would really appreciate date display.

Power reserve indicator, day/month display, perpetual calendar, stopwatch etc. would be appreciated too.

---

I really like skeleton watches, but I haven't come across one with a date display in this price range. If one exists, please do let me know!

I wouldn't mind settling for an open heart, though the only one with most of these features I've found is the Orient Star RE-AM0004B or RE-AM0005S.

If I'm going for a conventional watch, it should have a lot more of the features listed above. On the WUS forums I got recommended a lot of expensive "swiss made" watches that were plain and basically had less complications than my Seiko 5. I understand the level of finish and workmanship is on a whole other level, hence the price difference, but that's not really the kind of watch I'm going for.

P.S. What I really wanted to buy next was a Seiko Spring Drive, but at $2500 starting, that's well out of budget, and the styling is so similar to my 5 that no layperson not familiar with the technology will believe it's actually worth that much. The next closest thing I found to the sweeping second hand of the spring drive is the 1/16th sweep of the Bulova Precisionist, but that watch burns through large disposable batteries at a rate of one battery every 1-2 years, which to me is not very palatable as skilled watchmakers are a dying breed in my country. For the record, I bought my Seiko 5 in 2010 and haven't opened the case back a single time in the last 9 years. I also have a Citizen Eco-Drive (solar powered with rechargeable battery) that has been running nonstop for the last 12 years

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Hello LMF5000 ! :smile1: It is so nice that you decided
to join up. Very cool ! :cool:

Well hopefully we can give you some different point of
views, and help you enjoy the hobby just a little more.
Although it sounds like you are already having a ton
of fun, and know a ton too. :)

Will have to look around, and get back to you on a
few watches LM. But until then, welcome aboard !!!

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Keeping with Citizen since you seem to really enjoy them, and they
have been reliable for you LMF. Here is the Promaster Skyhawk, and
Perpetual Chrono A-T Eco-Drive Titanium Chronograph... :)

Altichron, and Aqualand models like these...

These Tsuno Chronographs look really nice...

These Citizen Promasters are sleek looking...

Enjoy LMF5000, and good luck to you ! :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm drooling at the sight of this one -

But the MSRP of Eco Drives is in the $300-$600 range. If I settle for one of those, it feels like I'm leaving part of the budget untapped.

The sexiest watch I've found in my search is this one (and the only time in my life I considered a manually-wound watch, mostly due to the 10-day power reserve), but the MSRP is around $7000. Ouch!!

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Having part of the budget untapped allows you to get more than one. :smile1:

I'm drooling at the sight of this one -

But the MSRP of Eco Drives is in the $300-$600 range. If I settle for one of those, it feels like I'm leaving part of the budget untapped.

The sexiest watch I've found in my search is this one (and the only time in my life I considered a manually-wound watch, mostly due to the 10-day power reserve), but the MSRP is around $7000. Ouch!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seiko does solar too... Some would say better than Citizen. Two of my fav's. The Radio Sync World Timer and the Perpetual Calendar.

That's really interesting. Especially the second one, it has alarm, perpetual calendar, stopwatch and everything. And solar means it'll never run out of battery.

Hmm, I have to decide between a full-featured solar (or kinetic) or a self-winding mechanical watch. Do you know anything about the longevity of the battery in the Seiko? I know early kinetics frequently needed the capacitor replaced.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
That's really interesting. Especially the second one, it has alarm, perpetual calendar, stopwatch and everything. And solar means it'll never run out of battery.

Hmm, I have to decide between a full-featured solar (or kinetic) or a self-winding mechanical watch. Do you know anything about the longevity of the battery in the Seiko? I know early kinetics frequently needed the capacitor replaced.
Seiko says the battery will last at least ten years and the can be replaced when needed. It runs for six months on a full charge.
The watch has a power reserve indicator to keep you abreast of the batteries condition. It also has a low power mode where the second hand will start ticking in two second intervals to let you know it will stop in 48 hours unless charged.
Despite the fact that it looks complicated. It's really not. The website has a video tutorial and a downloadable manual. Once you read through this, you'll be going through it's functions like a champ. When programmed, the perpetual calendar will be correct adjusting for leap years and 30/31 day months through the year 2100. It's also available in a white dial.
It truly is an awesome watch. Links for both are below. Have fun. :thumb:

https://seikousa.com/products/ssc376

https://seikousa.com/products/ssc560?variant=13344113360948&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_term=product&utm_campaign=lowerfunnel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seiko says the battery will last at least ten years and the can be replaced when needed. It runs for six months on a full charge.
The watch has a power reserve indicator to keep you abreast of the batteries condition. It also has a low power mode where the second hand will start ticking in two second intervals to let you know it will stop in 48 hours unless charged.
Despite the fact that it looks complicated. It's really not. The website has a video tutorial and a downloadable manual. Once you read through this, you'll be going through it's functions like a champ. When programmed, the perpetual calendar will be correct adjusting for leap years and 30/31 day months through the year 2100. It's also available in a white dial.
It truly is an awesome watch. Links for both are below. Have fun. :thumb:

https://seikousa.com/products/ssc376

https://seikousa.com/products/ssc560?variant=13344113360948&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_term=product&utm_campaign=lowerfunnel
Oh, the operation of that is no problem, already uncovered the manual when I did some research after looking at that pic you posted :).

I don't know what to make of the 10 years claim. My Citizen Eco drive was bought in 2008 and is still running perfectly on the original battery 12 years later. I believe they use lithium titanate batteries which are the longest-lasting lithium-based chemistry currently known - lab tests on the Citizen suggest a lifetime of at least 40 years on the original battery - which is great considering this watch will be an engagement gift for me.

Not sure which will last longer - a solar watch or a mechanical one. The solar ones are dependent on finding replacement batteries, and the mechanical ones are dependent on finding a watchmaker that knows how to service it. My mechanical seiko 5 has run for 10 years without ever being opened and still runs great... I'd tip the scales towards a regular automatic lasting longer than a solar one in the absence of any maintenance.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The Seiko claim is based on constant charging cycles. After 10 years the battery still has 80% capacity but it is recommended that the whole watch be serviced at that time due to the mechanical drag that developes in the drive system from loss of lubrication etc. This puts undue stress on the battery causing it to discharge quicker.
If it's going to be your only watch. I think you get 20 years out of it easy. By then you'll probably be tired of it and want a new one. If you get it serviced every ten years. It will probably last forever.
Same goes for an Automatic. If not serviced periodically, They become harder to wind and generally start to lose time for the same reason I described above. IMO, it's harder to find a competent watchmaker than it is to find Seiko the company. I It's your call. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quartz

I think quartz movements could probably run longer than automatic movements bar catastrophic failure from corrosion (leaking battery), breaking the copper coil (eg when changing the battery) or dropping the watch.

Reason being that the only force transmitted is that of the motor to overcome the inertia of the watch hands. That's why the cheap ones can get away with plastic gears (and certain plastics are self-lubricating so will never need oiling).

On the other hand in a mechanical watch the geartrain is under the constant force of the mainspring, and it has to have enough torque at the end of the geartrain to heave the balance wheel into motion. That's probably why the only plastic gear on the seiko 5 is the one that moves the date and day dials. Swatch tried to make a mechanical watch with many plastic parts, including the pallet fork (System 51) but apparently had a high number of watches breaking within the first 2 years.

I would say a broken mechanical watch is easier to fix than a broken quartz one - for the latter the usual cure is to throw away the movement and buy a new one. That said I'm leaning towards a mechanical. The relative cheapness of quartz movements seems to put me off a bit despite them being technically superior watches.

·
Registered
86 Posts
@LMF5000

Welcome to WF -- possibly not the most active forum, but makes up for it by being populated by nice (and helpful) people with a very broad range of tastes.
I think it is a refreshing change from some (larger) forums. I hope you will enjoy it too.

David

1 - 20 of 30 Posts