Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Well the time has finally come, lets open the photo floodgates for this heavily anticipated watch from H2O/Helberg. Post your photos here in this official photo thread for the Helberg CH8 vintage inspired dive watch ! Here is my mini review after unboxing and playing around with it :

-The Ch8 looks like a true vintage watch and the style is awesome. Love the black orange bezel and matte dial give that old school vintage feel. I think a glossy black dial would look crazy good too. The case back is fantastic! Perfect mirror polish and the engraved manta ray looks super cool. I love the case back!

-Fit and finish is fantastic. The brushed surfaces and polished edges are super. H20/Helberg is very consistent in this area and really sets this brand apart from other micro brands.

-the crown at 4 o'clock is great and zero wrist interference. There will be people who may complain that it is hard to operate, but that is the design of the watch, my Squale 50 Atmos is even harder because the crown is much smaller. I found the crown good to operate and winding is very easy as you could grip the crown well from the case back side. But of course you can´t compare with a standard crown at the 3 o'clock position.

-The size is good. I did a side by side with my Squale 50 Atmos which is shown below in my photos. The cases are similar in design and it shows the size difference between the two. The Squale wears much smaller (some say it's a bit small, some say it's just right). For me on my 7 1/4" wrist, The CH8 has more wrist presence than the Squale, yet it still wears very well so I'm a happy camper.

-The bezel action is firm and crisp. There is some bezel back play that those who are very picky may/will notice. It is a "firm back play" meaning that if you hold the bezel tightly it will move back and forth with firm movement, it is NOT loose. But once set it's fine. This may be in part to not have it too tight so it can allow owners to be able to remove the bezel more easily when they want to do bezel swaps (when the bezels available for purchase later on). Bezel removal is done by using your fingernail and lifting the bezel while turning it at the same time to disengage it from the click wire. The coin-edge finishing on the bezel is really nice. I took up close macro shots and it shows how smooth the cuts in the bezel edge are. I know Clemens mentioned a more precise and expensive process was decided on to step up the finish quality with no extra cost to the customer (each bezel was made individually on a CNC machine, with 180x cutting step process)

-The straps - The ostrich leather is gorgeous!! I love the 24/22 taper and helps help make the watch feel lighter on the wrist. The horween strap is also fantastic and should be a keeper for many. All are perfectly flexible. The buckle is great, The H20/Helberg machined buckles are probably one of, if not, the nicest in the market of all micros. I did discover one minor thing. The buckle screw pin on the Helberg buckle is thicker than the OEM Isofrane one and therefore is a tight fit in the Isofrane, so it needs a little lube/Vaseline will do the trick and allow it to go in smoothly. The screws have a diameter difference of 0.20mm. I also tried my Helberg Mesh bracelet on this watch and it really looks great. But for me the Isofrane is meant for this watch and is most comfy. Another killer combo and what is going to be riding on my watch currently, is the nicely padded 24/22mm Rios1931 W/R "Just" model sailcoth strap. The aggressive padding looks fabulous on this style watch! Strap changes are easy for me since I use the Bergeon 6767F fine tipped spring bar tool, not to mention that I REGULARLY perform strap swaps more than the average person lol. Drilled lugs would have been good for the general public but again, it's a trade off for clean lines. Another note/plus is that there is sufficient space between lug spring pin and case for straps that are thick at the lugs.

For the price of admission name another brand that delivers this much for so relatively little $$ - multiple watch configuration options available (2 case finishes), SS, bronze or sapphire bezels, sapphire crystal (flat or domed), reliable movement (9015), great quality straps, very well finished case and bezel details, and all backed by top shelf customer service. Another fabulous watch Clemens :)

And now onto the photo show! Enjoy!

Danny

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Totally a biased review.

Kidding. Thanks for the write up and pictures. Mine should be coming this week, but I'm on vacation for the week, lol.

I have the same config, except I have the blue dial.

Congrats!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Wow! What a watch and what stunning photography! I'm glad I ordered one, can't wait to get it. I made the final payment prompt at the first request on 5 July, wondering when I'll receive mine.

Reactions: Danny T

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Totally a biased review.

Kidding. Thanks for the write up and pictures. Mine should be coming this week, but I'm on vacation for the week, lol.

I have the same config, except I have the blue dial.

Congrats!

whatchu talkin bout Willis? :p

I really want to see how the blue dial looks with your config. That's what i was gonna go with originally but chickened out and stayed with the black dial with date.

You can always re-direct your package to me and I can to a quick photoshoot and test drive for you and send it back you get home from vacay :cool:

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
P.S. I have a black ISOfrane but am hankering after an orange one now :D

Reactions: Danny T

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
No email with shipping confirmation yet. And Germany is just 200 miles East.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I don't like it. Seriously though love the vintage vibe and color combo. Being a Seiko fan I really like the Crown at the 4 as well. Wished you had provided a few more pictures though

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't like it. Seriously though love the vintage vibe and color combo. Being a Seiko fan I really like the Crown at the 4 as well. Wished you had provided a few more pictures though

I had over 120 photos to choose from. You could always look at my Obris Morgan review thread. It only has 90 pics ;)

·
Banned
754 Posts
I love the picture parade ! Thanks for sharing. I definitely will have to own one some day with that bezel and hands, with any dial color will do. Pure joy to my eyes. Big congrats !

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Wow Danny!

That really looks like a million bucks. I like everything about it.

It looks great on all of the straps you show (and probably would on a piece of rusty bailing wire), but I have to agree with you on the orange isofrane and the sailcloth.

Congrats!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I had over 120 photos to choose from. You could always look at my Obris Morgan review thread. It only has 90 pics ;)
Was only kidding of course, and they are great pictures of a cool looking watch. Your OM review post caused an instant reduction in available cash in my wallet.

:smile-thumb2:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Just STUNNING!!!!!!

I'm not sure which strap I like more on it ... okay, it's the mesh. But how great that every other strap just adds to that fantastic watch!

You are quite the photographer, I must say!

Congrats!

·
Registered
510 Posts
My thoughts on this CH8 are I love it. This is one of the Nicest dials I've seen, I love the option to get the Orange minute hand and the tip on the seconds hand, really nice.
Lets not forget the new tool in the box! That is a well crafted screwdriver with the spring bar option
added, beautiful.
The Case finish is really well done, Rivals all my H2O watches including my Kalmar 1
The Extra time added to make the CH8 better was worth it for sure, especially the bezel teeth.
What else is the crown operates perfectly, it's so easy to lock back into position.
Ive ordered 3 of these CH8's and can't wait to see its brothers!
Thanks for Looking. Ken

Have a great day!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Wow! That blue combo looks very sharp as well! The buckle is very well thought out, it fits an ISOfrane strap. Top notch.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts