Watch Freeks banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received this watch last Monday but couldn't find the time to post it yet. I'll start with the obvious and that is the name on the dial: Shirryu. No little shark on the dial like my other Heimdallr watches but Shirryu. I'm not too enthusiastic about that but what's done is done.

While searching for that name I came upon a Chinese watch dealer that stocks this 'brand' and after doing some more research I got the feeling that all these watches are made in the same Hong Kong district, street, premises. Who knows?

On to the watch. For 161 Euro one can hardly do better. It comes with all the modern traits:

Case Material: 316L High Grade Stainless Steel, brushed / polished
Case Back: 316L Stainless Steel
Bezel: 316L Stainless steel, 360 uni-directional rotatable.
Bezel Insert: Sapphire insert
Crystal: Flat sapphire (a little domed) with AR-Coating
Movement: Seiko SII NH35A Automatic Movement, 24 Jewels, 21,600 bph.
Strap: Waffle style rubber band
Clasp: Pin buckle
Water resistance: 200 meters / 20 BAR
Lume: Swiss Super Luminova BGW-9 / C3
Dial: Big Wave
Dial Size: 28.50 mm
Height: 13.50 mm
Diameter: 42.6 mm (without crown)
Lug to Lug: 52.50 mm
Weight: ca. 100 g
Lug Size: 20 mm
Crown: Screw-Down
Warranty: 2 Years

I bought a couple of the waffle straps before on eBay and they were US$ 16 a piece, the same one came with this watch. The style of the watch is an 'homage' to Seiko's SPB051 which itself is Seiko's own homage to the 62MAS (poor man's 62MAS :)). I haven't worn it long enough to measure its accuracy but that should be plus or minus 8 - 10 seconds a day. Diving with it I will not :). The finish for a watch in this price bracket is very good and the bezel has a smooth action and is just beautifully constructed which makes me wonder yet again how they are able to pull this off.

Reactions: rh747m and worker

·
Super Moderator
9,729 Posts
Can't get much nicer, or cooler sir, and honestly the 'Shirryu' on the
dial is neat actually ! 😎😉 Because in a way, without the shark, it
makes the watch like this ultra cool limited edition from Heimdallyr !!!
Hey, and if they do decide to put the shark on models down the road,
you will have the more rare sharkless version. 😀

Either way, it doesn't take anything away from the watch, and maybe
adds a more authentic vibe with just the text. Honestly looks like a
wonderful tribute to the 62 MAS Frans. Just the straps rock really !

Wishing a GIANT congrats 2 U there !!!

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't get much nicer, or cooler sir, and honestly the 'Shirryu' on the
dial is neat actually ! 😎😉 Because in a way, without the shark, it
makes the watch like this ultra cool limited edition from Heimdallyr !!!
Hey, and if they do decide to put the shark on models down the road,
you will have the more rare sharkless version. 😀

Either way, it doesn't take anything away from the watch, and maybe
adds a more authentic vibe with just the text. Honestly looks like a
wonderful tribute to the 62 MAS Frans. Just the straps rock really !

Wishing a GIANT congrats 2 U there !!!
Thanks Tom! But with two more watches coming my way, I must really, really dial down my watch habit now :D

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say a great watch for someone who wants to test the waters with regards to Chinese made / micro brands / homages without breaking the bank. At least, from my point of view. 200 bucks can still a lot of money for someone and a watch is but a watch.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you like it.

BTW - I'm sure you possibly meant ceramic insert? Not so sure about a sapphire one.
It's partly translucent, like opaque glass. So it must be sapphire, I have those on some of my other watches as well.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wore the watch last Monday and the time I took the photo it had stopped. The date has not yet fully advanced I see. I also fiddled with the hands.

·
Super Moderator
9,729 Posts
Thanks Tom! But with two more watches coming my way, I must really, really dial down my watch habit now :D
You are very welcome Frans, and can't wait to hear what you think
about those two incomings btw ! (y)😵 P.S. I hope you don't dial it
down honestly. Like you are saying these types of watches are easy
on the wallet, and don't break the bank. So it's not like you are really
splurging, or going overboard imho sir.

It's actually quite the opposite, and common sensical the way you
are being actually !😄

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a Heimdallr 62 MAS in bronze, and the San Martin is stainless. Not sure why you wouldn't dive with it, it would do the job brilliantly. I own a Seiko SKX and the Heimdallr/San Martin are far superior watches. In answer to your question. The watches are sold directly to the public, and cutting out retailers literally halves the price. Labour cost is about 25% of that in Switzerland or Japan, and the materials are also sourced from China. People shouldn't be mistaken into thinking Chinese watches are inferior because they are cheaper, because that really isn't the case.

The Chinese can produce Rolex copies 95% as good as the original for 2% of the cost. Whilst I don't condone copies, and wouldn't own one, that fact gives you some sort of incite into the watch business

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Heimdallr 62 MAS in bronze, and the San Martin is stainless. Not sure why you wouldn't dive with it, it would do the job brilliantly. I own a Seiko SKX and the Heimdallr/San Martin are far superior watches. In answer to your question. The watches are sold directly to the public, and cutting out retailers literally halves the price. Labour cost is about 25% of that in Switzerland or Japan, and the materials are also sourced from China. People shouldn't be mistaken into thinking Chinese watches are inferior because they are cheaper, because that really isn't the case.

The Chinese can produce Rolex copies 95% as good as the original for 2% of the cost. Whilst I don't condone copies, and wouldn't own one, that fact gives you some sort of incite into the watch business
My diving remark was because I'm not a diver. I intend to take a course in due time and get Open Water Diver certification to start with. Swimming with it, yes. As to the 95% 'as good' as the original, that would make a watch comparable to the current Air-King 122 Euro. Even the Chinese cannot make a watch with a chronometer movement for that money. And I believe that was a Parnis quote :) Or by one of the other brands.

But yes, I can really say the amount of watch you get for your money is unbeatable.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The price is just ridiculous. I have a few micro brand watches from Hong Kong that cost roughly $100 more and I feel like a they were a steal.

Frans you listed the dial as "big wave". Is there a wave pattern I don't see? I don't usually care for patterns and that one just looks clean.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The price is just ridiculous. I have a few micro brand watches from Hong Kong that cost roughly $100 more and I feel like a they were a steal.

Frans you listed the dial as "big wave". Is there a wave pattern I don't see? I don't usually care for patterns and that one just looks clean.
I just used their own description, this dial is plain. Don’t know why they called it like that, perhaps someone mixed up two sets of descriptions.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's a
I just used their own description, this dial is plain. Don’t know why they called it like that, perhaps someone mixed up two sets of descriptions.
Gotcha. It's a nice looking piece for sure even with the odd name. Quit showing me watches so inexpensive I have no choice but to purchase them. ;-)

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a

Gotcha. It's a nice looking piece for sure even with the odd name. Quit showing me watches so inexpensive I have no choice but to purchase them. ;-)
Stop fighting it! "Resistance is Futile!" :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts