Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the first to congratulate any supplier on good customer service. Chronomaster UK were outstanding when they sold me my Steinhart, and the owner even took my phone call at 9pm one evening. Mywatchcode have supplied me Parnis watches for several years, and I have sung their praises on several forums, and the service you get from San Martin is outstanding. However, with the smooth comes the rough. The week before last I decided I wanted a dive watch with a Kanagawa dial, ideally the Turtle, but the Sumo would be good enough. San Martin offered to do me a deal on the Turtle, but it was still a bit steep, WR watches would have been OK, but their postage is far to expensive, but I could get the Sumo direct from Heimdallr for $164 after deduction of a coupon, and with free postage. I ordered the watch knowing the quality would be excellent, because Heimdallr watches always are. The website said there could be a delay in dispatch because of Corona Virus (no idea why that would be the case). They were specific and said watches would be dispatched on Tuesdays and Fridays. I ordered mine on a Thursday, hoping it would be sent out the following day. Unfortunately it wasn't, but I could fully understand that. The following Tuesday I didn't get notice either, so I emailed them that evening. On the Wednesday I received a very curt message informing me it would be sent out on the Friday. Friday came and went, so I emailed them again, but this time asking for a refund. OK, within 24 hours I received a PayPal refund, but with no message or apology. Some people may consider this reasonable service, but the way I see it I had an empty slot in my watch box for nearly two weeks, which let's face it is a sin, and then had to set about finding something else. In short, a waist of my time, and in my opinion for no good reason.

The good news is that I have decided not to buy another, and have invested in a 42mm Seagull 1963 with sapphire, exhibition back, and Swan neck adjustment.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good to know. I'd be disappointed as well. I was considering ordering a watch from Heimdallr with all the praise I've seen of them on this forum. Now I'm having second thoughts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am the first to congratulate any supplier on good customer service. Chronomaster UK were outstanding when they sold me my Steinhart, and the owner even took my phone call at 9pm one evening. Mywatchcode have supplied me Parnis watches for several years, and I have sung their praises on several forums, and the service you get from San Martin is outstanding. However, with the smooth comes the rough. The week before last I decided I wanted a dive watch with a Kanagawa dial, ideally the Turtle, but the Sumo would be good enough. San Martin offered to do me a deal on the Turtle, but it was still a bit steep, WR watches would have been OK, but their postage is far to expensive, but I could get the Sumo direct from Heimdallr for $164 after deduction of a coupon, and with free postage. I ordered the watch knowing the quality would be excellent, because Heimdallr watches always are. The website said there could be a delay in dispatch because of Corona Virus (no idea why that would be the case). They were specific and said watches would be dispatched on Tuesdays and Fridays. I ordered mine on a Thursday, hoping it would be sent out the following day. Unfortunately it wasn't, but I could fully understand that. The following Tuesday I didn't get notice either, so I emailed them that evening. On the Wednesday I received a very curt message informing me it would be sent out on the Friday. Friday came and went, so I emailed them again, but this time asking for a refund. OK, within 24 hours I received a PayPal refund, but with no message or apology. Some people may consider this reasonable service, but the way I see it I had an empty slot in my watch box for nearly two weeks, which let's face it is a sin, and then had to set about finding something else. In short, a waist of my time, and in my opinion for no good reason.

The good news is that I have decided not to buy another, and have invested in a 42mm Seagull 1963 with sapphire, exhibition back, and Swan neck adjustment.
Can you share a photo of this Seagull you ordered? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I ordered another Heimdallr on 6 June, it was shipped 11 June and I will receive it 17 June. This has several causes, the two that have the most impact are the way the carrier performs their internal distribution, which to me is sometimes mind boggling. I live near a local airport which serves as a distribution hub but shipments are first moved to a Schiphol (Amsterdam) warehouse before they are carried to their final destination, me. The other one is customs handling, which often adds another day. So because of all of this, my expectations are adjusted accordingly. In fact, the only watch that reached my doorstep relatively quick was the Helson Sharkmaster 600 I ordered on eBay. But that was off a private individual and the first time ever I did so. All my other watches came either directly from the manufacturer or a vendor. And all took weeks to reach me. And yes, they missed the next Tuesday opportunity to ship the watch and shipped it on a day outside their usual shipping window. I don't know why because I didn't ask. I have learned to be patient. And if you get in on a Kickstarter project involving a watch, patience, by Jove, becomes a virtue. An overshoot of 6 months is nothing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I ordered another Heimdallr on 6 June, it was shipped 11 June and I will receive it 17 June. This has several causes, the two that have the most impact are the way the carrier performs their internal distribution, which to me is sometimes mind boggling. I live near a local airport which serves as a distribution hub but shipments are first moved to a Schiphol (Amsterdam) warehouse before they are carried to their final destination, me. The other one is customs handling, which often adds another day. So because of all of this, my expectations are adjusted accordingly. In fact, the only watch that reached my doorstep relatively quick was the Helson Sharkmaster 600 I ordered on eBay. But that was off a private individual and the first time ever I did so. All my other watches came either directly from the manufacturer or a vendor. And all took weeks to reach me. And yes, they missed the next Tuesday opportunity to ship the watch and shipped it on a day outside their usual shipping window. I don't know why because I didn't ask. I have learned to be patient. And if you get in on a Kickstarter project involving a watch, patience, by Jove, becomes a virtue. An overshoot of 6 months is nothing.
What Heimdallr watch did you order?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,648 Posts
It's funny how sometimes people can have such different experiences
with the same brand, or company like this guys. Honestly has to be
crazy for companies with Covid-19, and everything that's for sure.
However, can see why you were upset MW. You would think there
would at least be an apology somewhere, or at some time. (y)

Let's hope things work out alright with you Frans, and that we get
to see your next Heimdallr soon ! 🙂 Oh, and thanks for all of the
insight you two !!

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Judging by your signature, you must be a Heimdallr fan. Do you find the quality of their watches to be comparable to Seiko?
As incredible as it may sound, I cannot answer this question. I own one Seiko but this cannot be compared to both Seiko’s current diver models and Heimdallr watches. And the quality of the Seikos I owned in the 80s has become an unknown in the mist of time.

However, if I compare them to my other watches, they can easily compete with watches costing four times as much. Sapphire crystal and bezel, well finished dials and hand sets and Seiko movement. Cases on par as well. And most of their offerings are below 200 Euro. (I must sound like a Heimdallr salesman now 😀). In fact, the one I ordered was 156 so you get a lot of watch for your money. There are straps that cost more. The only thing I cannot attest to is their level of pressure resistance. Is this equal or better with what they claim?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't complaining about the postal service, it was Heimdallr's insistence to not actually sending it. Two weeks prior San Martin got a watch to me in just over a week, and their premises are on the same road.

·
Registered
196 Posts
As incredible as it may sound, I cannot answer this question. I own one Seiko but this cannot be compared to both Seiko’s current diver models and Heimdallr watches. And the quality of the Seikos I owned in the 80s has become an unknown in the mist of time.

However, if I compare them to my other watches, they can easily compete with watches costing four times as much. Sapphire crystal and bezel, well finished dials and hand sets and Seiko movement. Cases on par as well. And most of their offerings are below 200 Euro. (I must sound like a Heimdallr salesman now 😀). In fact, the one I ordered was 156 so you get a lot of watch for your money. There are straps that cost more. The only thing I cannot attest to is their level of pressure resistance. Is this equal or better with what they claim?
Good and important question!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts