Watch Freeks banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, I want to mention my bad experience with Dan Henry Watches came as a surprise to me. I had always heard mostly good things about their watches and customer support so I decided to pull the trigger on a new 1970 Black Automatic.

Here's a list of my complaints and then more detail about my lousy experience.

Complaints:
1. First watch shipped to me was defective.
2. Took them 21 days (from the date of my initial complaint) to get a replacement watch to me.
3. Poor communication from their Customer Service/Service Center people.
4. Poor attitude and lack of professionalism from their Customer Experience Manager (Marcelo).
5. Service Center people unable to locate defect even after I sent several photos to Dan H. well in advance of them receiving the watch.
6. Unable to meet their own deadlines for shipping commitments.
7. Lack of communication from Dan H.
8. Replacement watch shipped to me with missing protective covers (even after the first watch was delivered to me with a scratched case).
9. They requested my feedback and I wrote a review and sent it to them. So far they haven't posted it to their website and yet there are several other reviews written during that same time period that are now posted to their site.

I received the new 1970 on 10/26/20. When I unpacked/inspected the watch that evening, almost immediately I noticed a scratch on one side of the case. I then sent an email to their customer support about the defect and Dan Henry himself promptly responded. He asked for some pictures of the defect and I sent him two photos. He then offered to extend a $50 credit if I wanted to take it to a local watchmaker and get it repaired OR I could return the watch and exchange it. I opted to return the watch and exchange it.

The defective watch was never worn by me and I carefully repackaged it and sent it to their service center in NY (as per their detailed instructions), and I sent an email with the tracking number to them.

Dan stopped communicating with me on 10/28/20 and turned my case over to Marcelo (their Customer Experience Manager). It was at this point that things started going downhill.

At first they informed me they would ship a new (replacement) watch to me when they received the defective watch. I was okay with that since I understood that to mean I would get a new watch pretty quickly.

Then, they changed their story and told me they would have to inspect the returned watch (including the movement), and after that inspection they would authorize their team to ship a new watch to me IF everything looked good. Keep in mind I never wore the watch and repackaged it for the return the same evening I received it.

The defective watch arrived at their service center in NY on 10/30/20 per my tracking info. Some time had passed and I hadn't heard anything from them so I reached out again. I was told I would hear from their team in NY but that didn't happen until much later in this exchange process.

Their communication with me was POOR all along. Dan was now out of the picture and Marcelo was the only person communicating with me from DH and his communication was always in response to my communication. He was never PROACTIVE.....always REACTIVE. It was very frustrating to me to have to constantly keep sending emails to Marcelo to get any information or updates.

More time goes by and I reach out to Marcelo again on 11/5/20 for an update and he tells me his team in NY can't locate the scratch on the case (seriously?????). I remind him that I had already sent pictures of the defect to Dan Henry on 10/26. Also, on 11/5 Marcelo tells me a new watch will be shipped out to me by the end of the week (which is Friday 11/6). Now I'm thinking there may be light at the end of the tunnel but.......

The weekend passes and now it's 11/9/20 and I haven't received any notice of shipment or tracking number from DH so I contact Marcelo again (because of course he hasn't followed up to see what's going on). He tells me his team "should have contacted me" and he's "pushing them every day". To make matters worse, he has the nerve to complain about my "everyday" emails to him. They weren't everyday but I was emailing frequently to keep the pressure on him to get this resolved. Unbelievable!!!

Now I'm at a point where my frustration level is increasing. Time continues to pass and there's no sense of urgency on Marcelo's part to get this resolved quickly and the tone of his emails to me are getting more and more belligerent by the day.

I decided it was time to reach out to Dan Henry expressing my concerns with the delays and asking for his help to get things resolved ASAP, and I sent an email to him on 11/11/20. To my surprise, Dan never responded to me and still has not to this day. Keep in mind he responded to me within minutes when I first contacted his company about the defect on the original 1970.

Finally on 11/16/20 a replacement watch was delivered to me (17 days after USPS tracking shows the original defective watch was delivered to their service center in NY and 21 days after my initial complaint). Much to my surprise, there were 2 protective covers MISSING on the replacement watch when I unpacked it. I asked Marcelo about that and he told me they removed the covers to inspect the watch and they shipped it to me without covers to prevent any scratches (?). I told him it didn't make sense to me that he wouldn't replace the protective covers AFTER the inspection process to prevent any possible damage to the watch during transportation from New York to North Carolina. This really surprised me after everything that had transpired so far. Thankfully the new watch arrived scratch free.

So, Dan was unreachable after 10/28, Marcelo was a constant headache to deal with, and their NY service center is caught in the middle and seems clueless. Oh, the service center finally contacted me when they shipped out the replacement watch. That was the first time I heard from them and I had given them all my contact info (including email address and cell number) when I shipped the defective watch to them.

Marcelo was my main contact for DH all along and he's unprofessional, has a bad attitude, and is a poor communicator. Have to admit.....I was surprised to learn that he's their "Customer Experience Manager".

In closing I'd like to add this was the absolute worst watch buying experience I've had in 30+ years of watch collecting. They're quick to sell you a new watch ($290 in my case) but PAINFULLY SLOW and UNPROFESSIONAL to exchange one (even if they sent you a DEFECTIVE watch in the first place).

As someone who worked in Quality Assurance/Customer Service his entire career, this experience was especially disappointing to me. They won't have any repeat business from me.

As for the 1970 watch itself, so far I like it and it's keeping good time. It's a good watch but I wouldn't say it's a great watch. Probably not worth the $290 I paid for it.......it's more like a $200 watch.

I know this review is long but I felt it was important to share my experience with other watch collectors. Thanks for reading and I'd welcome any comments or questions.

·
Super Moderator
10,896 Posts
The whole thing sounded like a nightmare Rob. So sorry about everything.

Like you, have only really heard great things about the brand, and their
watches, and actually wonder was this an anomaly possibly? But then it
sounded like it wasn't just one thing that went wrong too, it was a bunch.
I think if the communication alone would have been better, you would
have been much happier right. Or if they had just shipped the new watch
out right away.

It's just sad, because I know you were really psyched about everything,
but instead were left with a bad taste in your mouth. I mean for you to
to say it was the worst watch buying experience in your life is saying
something. ..Have to thank you for sharing this story with all of us sir.
I know it's not the way you wanted things to turn out.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
A bummer of an experience. I don't know if the rest of us got a bit lucky or if DH has grown too big for Dan himself to deal with everything personally. He seems to have delegated responsibility, which is fine as long as the person taking it on in his place, is thorough and conscientious. Which he clearly, in your case, was not. I hope you can put it behind you so the watch can just be a nice new watch. Easier said than done though.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A bummer of an experience. I don't know if the rest of us got a bit lucky or if DH has grown too big for Dan himself to deal with everything personally. He seems to have delegated responsibility, which is fine as long as the person taking it on in his place, is thorough and conscientious. Which he clearly, in your case, was not. I hope you can put it behind you so the watch can just be a nice new watch. Easier said than done though.
I am appreciating the new watch but I have no trust in the DH brand after my experience, and there's no excuse for Dan not getting back to me when I reached out to him for help. I'm sure Dan and I could have worked things out had he responded to me but he left me to deal with Marcelo who was obnoxious.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think if the communication alone would have been better, you would
have been much happier right. Or if they had just shipped the new watch
out right away.
You're right Tom!! Communication should have been much better. And yes, they should have shipped the new watch out right away and not make me wait 3 weeks for it.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
My 1970 W&W had to shipped back as well (slanted crystal). I don't know exactly any more how long it took to have it back after repair but it must be somewhere buried in a thread. Because I live in a country that doesn't belong to the top ten when it comes to customer service my expectations are low. Our laws are different as well, a retailer is not bound by law to replace a defective item with a new item, he is given the chance to do a repair first. In the case of electronics up to a certain value they don't even bother, repairing is more expensive than replacing. To make a long story short, I'm used to having to wait.

I'm sorry you got the wrong end of the stick when dealing with DH. You writing your accounts with DH on a forum is not good PR for them.

Reactions: rh747m

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
You're right Tom!! Communication should have been much better. And yes, they should have shipped the new watch out right away and not make me wait 3 weeks for it.
First of all, I'm not gonna make any excuses for this guy. But the word Covid was not mentioned in your rant at all. Everything has slowed down for obvious reasons. Lack of employee's etc etc. Maybe the guy who was supposed to be doing Marcelo's job was much better at it. But he couldn't be there cause he was in quarantine or something. Maybe Dan Henry himself took ill. You just don't know. These are very uncertain times.
Three weeks... You're also whinebagging IMO. When Covid first started. I ordered one of these turned out to be not so fabulous Trappist Moon watches from Xeric. Long story short, it was supposed to be at my door in four months. Instead it took eight. Three weeks ain't squat.
I don't agree with your summary of the watch either. IMO, you just bought the wrong one. The polished stainless case presents much better and is worth every bit of the $220 I paid for mine. 😁

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all, I'm not gonna make any excuses for this guy. But the word Covid was not mentioned in your rant at all. Everything has slowed down for obvious reasons. Lack of employee's etc etc. Maybe the guy who was supposed to be doing Marcelo's job was much better at it. But he couldn't be there cause he was in quarantine or something. Maybe Dan Henry himself took ill. You just don't know. These are very uncertain times.
Three weeks... You're also whinebagging IMO. When Covid first started. I ordered one of these turned out to be not so fabulous Trappist Moon watches from Xeric. Long story short, it was supposed to be at my door in four months. Instead it took eight. Three weeks ain't squat.
I don't agree with your summary of the watch either. IMO, you just bought the wrong one. The polished stainless case presents much better and is worth every bit of the $220 I paid for mine. 😁
Thanks for sharing your opinion although I disagree with you. You're right, I don't know all the facts but it's because of their lack of communication. If they're having problems due to Covid, why not communicate those to your customer? Why keep them in the dark?

As far as your comment about the 3 week wait, I've ordered watches from China (San Martin) and Russia (Vostok) during the pandemic that have arrived at my doorstep in less than 3 weeks. The first DH watch shipped from NJ and arrived in a just a few days, the replacement watch took 3 weeks and shipped out from NY.

·
Super Moderator
10,896 Posts
😉Yup, just those two things being done differently would have probably
totally changed everything around, and made you a happy camper sir. (y)(y)

Still hope that you can enjoy this one though, and it gets a lot of wrist time. 🙂

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought my DH from someone who rarely wore it, so I have no experience with DH service or shipping.
I like my DH though, it is tasteful and runs fine. It’s a go to for me, I have about eight that are grab and go. Seems to fit in with most outfits and activities.
I have learned to wait on watch orders. My experience is anywhere from a few days to five months. Depends on a lot of factors that I didn’t get the memo on. I just wait. Sometimes I get antsy, but it does me no good, so I wait. Waiting patiently or chomping at the bit is up to me.

Communication is not a good thing for a company to lose. Like was mentioned earlier, it could be because of COVID, perhaps there aren’t as many employees because of it and things are overwhelming for them.
I’m all for hearing about others experiences with company’s though.
It could be a fluke or the start of something in decline. Either way, having a review on customer service is always a plus, even if it isn’t what others experienced.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I bought my DH from someone who rarely wore it, so I have no experience with DH service or shipping.
I like my DH though, it is tasteful and runs fine. It’s a go to for me, I have about eight that are grab and go. Seems to fit in with most outfits and activities.
I have learned to wait on watch orders. My experience is anywhere from a few days to five months. Depends on a lot of factors that I didn’t get the memo on. I just wait. Sometimes I get antsy, but it does me no good, so I wait. Waiting patiently or chomping at the bit is up to me.

Communication is not a good thing for a company to lose. Like was mentioned earlier, it could be because of COVID, perhaps there aren’t as many employees because of it and things are overwhelming for them.
I’m all for hearing about others experiences with company’s though.
It could be a fluke or the start of something in decline. Either way, having a review on customer service is always a plus, even if it isn’t what others experienced.
Thanks for weighing in. As far as waiting, it's one thing to wait for a new watch for a while (as long as you know what to expect upfront). It's entirely different to receive a new watch (which is defective) within a few days after ordering it and return it right away and then have to wait 3 weeks with poor communication for a replacement.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Thanks for sharing your opinion although I disagree with you. You're right, I don't know all the facts but it's because of their lack of communication. If they're having problems due to Covid, why not communicate those to your customer? Why keep them in the dark?

As far as your comment about the 3 week wait, I've ordered watches from China (San Martin) and Russia (Vostok) during the pandemic that have arrived at my doorstep in less than 3 weeks. The first DH watch shipped from NJ and arrived in a just a few days, the replacement watch took 3 weeks and shipped out from NY.
You have a right to your opinion. As do I. That's what these forums are all about. I just don't believe that DH should be dragged through the mud over you having to wait three weeks to get a new watch. Just sounds like you are young and impatient. Ask people who've had to send back a Rolex or Omega for anything, how long they had to wait to get it back even when there wasn't a pandemic going on. The answer may surprise you.
Trip and I just signed up for the Circula Aqua Sport... It might be here in a months time if we're lucky. I hate to see what you would do if you had to wait that long.
Enjoy your DH... But maybe think twice about what your doing next time before you start slinging the mud.:)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have a right to your opinion. As do I. That's what these forums are all about. I just don't believe that DH should be dragged through the mud over you having to wait three weeks to get a new watch. Just sounds like you are young and impatient. Ask people who've had to send back a Rolex or Omega for anything, how long they had to wait to get it back even when there wasn't a pandemic going on. The answer may surprise you.
Trip and I just signed up for the Circula Aqua Sport... It might be here in a months time if we're lucky. I hate to see what you would do if you had to wait that long.
Enjoy your DH... But maybe think twice about what your doing next time before you start slinging the mud.:)
Thanks for your opinion again. For the record I'm not young and impatient and there's nothing to think twice about. It was a bad experience and I shared the facts. Plain and simple.

Reactions: Gary

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Thanks for your opinion again. For the record I'm not young and impatient and there's nothing to think twice about. It was a bad experience and I shared the facts. Plain and simple.
Bad experience... If that's what you call waiting three weeks. Than you don't know the meaning of those two words. Plain and simple...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bad experience... If that's what you call waiting three weeks. Than you don't know the meaning of those two words. Plain and simple...
Thanks for your enlightening opinion. The facts in my review speak for themselves. You have passed your judgement and others can read and judge for themselves. Have a great evening.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts