Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have contents insurance with some added jewellery and art clauses. But after I added it all up today I found out that this does no longer cover all the things that I own. The value of my books, CDs, records, watches and all the other stuff I own exceeds what I am covered for now. I have to apply for an upgrade and that means that I have to provide a record of those belongings. Photographs of the watches, serial numbers, etc. How does this work in your countries? I will do it because I will be hit twice in the case of loss if I don't. Quite the undertaking for sure.

Reactions: FBPB

·
Registered
241 Posts
I haven't but I should. Normally one needs to declare the value of all good and pay insurance on that. So you do an estimate. Now that I am collecting watches, I should probably revise that amount.

·
Super Moderator
9,690 Posts
Oh man, that really will be a huge undertaking Frans. Can only imagine. :oops:
That museum of awesomeness is priceless actually, and figuring the actual
value is nearly impossible right?! Honestly, never thought about documenting
my watch collection to tell you the truth. Maybe because I don't have any
super expensive, or expensive watches in general. Just watches that mean
something to me, or that seemed interesting in some way. However, like
FBPB said, maybe I should think about it. For not only all of the watches,
but even my Star Wars collection. 🙂

Such a fantastic topic sir. Thanks so much for coming up with it !

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My home owners insurance has a jewelry rider for up to "X" amount without the need of documentation. I don't remember the exact amount but I do know the value of a few pieces of my S.O.'s jewelry (her wedding ring from her ex being the biggest) we're over that amount and should really do some documenting and declarations.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll start with my watches. None of them are over $1,200 but 25 pieces still add up. My books are easy, I have put them into a cataloguing program, starting many years ago. (I have a hand held bar code scanner). I know the exact value. The other stuff....... sigh. Maybe for those cold and dark Winter evenings :)

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'll start with my watches. None of them are over $1,200 but 25 pieces still add up. My books are easy, I have put them into a cataloguing program, starting many years ago. (I have a hand held bar code scanner). I know the exact value. The other stuff....... sigh. Maybe for those cold and dark Winter evenings :)
You're a well organized man! I mostly fly by the seat of my pants! ha ha ha

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're a well organized man! I mostly fly by the seat of my pants! ha ha ha
On a serious note: this is both a blessing and a curse. I can sometimes make my own life very difficult because of this. On the other hand it helps me to keep me organised and helps me cope with difficulties.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a couple of watches that are in the €2000 to €2500 bracket (an Omega and a Mühle Glashütte) plus a lot of vintage watches for which it would require a lot of time to find a replacement should anything happen to them.

Some are rather rare, example: a Junghans from the 1972 Olympics in München with an orange face a design like a running track, almost new condition (but likely not worth much).

Others include an NOS 1960s Zenith with tags and original bracelet (crystal has a small scratch in it, hence it did not sell). Plus 3 or 4 Zenith AutoSports from the 1960s. Two late 1940s Zenith officers' watches.

Other than that, a half dozen vintage Vostoks (one actual military issued) / Ostwoks (imported rebranding of Vostoks for Europe, all brass case an bezel). And then a lot of other things like two Auguste Reymond, a vintage ARSA, a vintage Oris, and a lot more I have forgotten.

I really should take photos of them all to document them.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have a couple of watches that are in the €2000 to €2500 bracket (an Omega and a Mühle Glashütte) plus a lot of vintage watches for which it would require a lot of time to find a replacement should anything happen to them.

Some are rather rare, example: a Junghans from the 1972 Olympics in München with an orange face a design like a running track, almost new condition (but likely not worth much).

Others include an NOS 1960s Zenith with tags and original bracelet (crystal has a small scratch in it, hence it did not sell). Plus 3 or 4 Zenith AutoSports from the 1960s. Two late 1940s Zenith officers' watches.

Other than that, a half dozen vintage Vostoks (one actual military issued) / Ostwoks (imported rebranding of Vostoks for Europe, all brass case an bezel). And then a lot of other things like two Auguste Reymond, a vintage ARSA, a vintage Oris, and a lot more I have forgotten.

I really should take photos of them all to document them.
And when you take those photos, I'm really curious to see that Military Issue Vostok, and the NOS Zenith... no pressure.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have a good running list of my collection and yes I need to inform my insurance company of this , I’m actually putting a catalog together and going to put the specifics of each time piece in with pictures and do a hard bound book . That is something I’ve wanted to do for awhile .

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use an app calked OnMyWrist which has accurate details of all my watches. I only specifically insure the ones over the equivalent of around $3,000. The rest are covered by my household policy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts