Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I think because I am a little more critical as well as patient the majority of my recent purchases meet my expectations. But there has been a purchase or two in the past where the watch far exceeded my expectations or the opposite. Specifically, I traded a SAS a little while back (great watch, just didn't do it for me) for a rose tone Renato Stallion Auto Skeleton (modified 2824). Everyday I own it I am amazed at the detail and quality. And even more amazing is the sheer comfort of the watch (great curvature) and the wide bracelet, one wouln't think it comfortable just by looking at it. My original interest was based on curiosity but now it has become one of my absolute favorites.
On the other hand, I recently returned a green Croton Vortex. When I opened the box I was not thrilled and even less when I held it in my hand. Granted it is a good sized, beefy timepiece but there was no "wow" attached to it. Probably didn't help that it arrived with the bracelet detatched from the watch (spring bar holes not alligned correctly). Anyone else overwhelmed one way or the other?

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I was completely underwhelmed by my Invicta 5074 Blue on Blue S1 when it arrived. It looked so great in the pictures I had seen but then I received it. It just did not feel right in my hands. I am not sure if it was the weight, shape or just the colors that made me unsure, but I knew I would not have it very long, which I did not, lol

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

On the other hand I was overwhelmed by my silver and black SAS when my wife gave it to me as a present. No TV show or presentation could show me the weight, height and just art of the case and band of the silver and black SAS.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

I would have to agree with James. My SAS exceeded expectations and right now is my favorite watch just above my SAN III. Of course I have a Deep Blue and a Chase Durer Strike Force coming in the next few days so my thoughts could change.

TVDinner wrote:
On the other hand I was overwhelmed by my silver and black SAS when my wife gave it to me as a present. No TV show or presentation could show me the weight, height and just art of the case and band of the silver and black SAS.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I would have to say that I was a bit surprised when I received my new 45mm Pro Diver with the burnt orange bezel. This watch exceeded my expectations and then some. It is probably my favorite Pro Diver to this day

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I should also mention that I do not like Rose Gold or square watches.......this is the only one that I own. When looking at the pictures before the trade I was not the least bit interested. My wife suggested trying a square watch because I have nothing but round (except for a Lupah that I don't think is really square?). Weird because to this day I do not give a Rose Gold or square watches much attention.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Disapointed

I was extremely disappointed in the T-Rex from Renato. I had heard such great things about the fit and finish, the feel of the watch on the wrist. In both cases the Plating was terrible, the dial opening made the watch look smaller then it really was, and the dials where not easy too read.

Overwhelmed

There has been quite a few, but the Top three would be

#1 SAS all 5 of them
#2 The RDQ Anniversary Edition Skelly (UNREAL)
#3 My Bolt's All of them what an amazing design!!!

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

The Stuhrling Original Madman Chronograph LE I purchased far exceeded my expectations. The watch fits me so perfectly, it feels like it was custom made for me!! I love this watch!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

My first SAIII that I received a little over a year ago. I had been wanting one since I first started cruising Shop for watches, at the end of '07. In Feb of '08 they finally dropped it to a lower price than it had ever been and I snagged it along with another watch. I thought it was a cool piece but was much more excited about the other watch that I ordered. The SAIII blew me away and I can't even remember what the other watch was!

Very underwhelmed by the Prowler. I absolutely had to have this watch and when I snagged one in a trade, it sat in my watch box for 3 months until I traded it away. If they can tag an extra 4-5 mm on it and strap a 25-28mm bracelet on it, I will be the first in line to grab one!

Btw Seattle, that Stallion is awesome. Congrats on that pickup.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
My first SAIII that I received a little over a year ago. I had been wanting one since I first started cruising Shop for watches, at the end of '07. In Feb of '08 they finally dropped it to a lower price than it had ever been and I snagged it along with another watch. I thought it was a cool piece but was much more excited about the other watch that I ordered. The SAIII blew me away and I can't even remember what the other watch was!

Very underwhelmed by the Prowler. I absolutely had to have this watch and when I snagged one in a trade, it sat in my watch box for 3 months until I traded it away. If they can tag an extra 4-5 mm on it and strap a 25-28mm bracelet on it, I will be the first in line to grab one!

Btw Seattle, that Stallion is awesome. Congrats on that pickup.
Thanks TK! And agreed, the SAIII is definitely in the "overwhelmed" category.

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

Yes, the Stuhrling Delphi Skeleton automatic with a black leather strap in the rosetone. $74.00 for a breath taking design according to my Wife is a steal.

·
Registered
281 Posts
imported post

My Invicta Off Shore Pro Diver...got it on one of the once only pricing deals I think...easily worth twice the price!!!

Underwhelmed...Swiss Legend commander auto. Nice watch but the edges are like knives...no matter how I try, it just plain hurts to wear for very long.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

I think all my purchases have met my expectations, all except for the invicta diver abyss, felt very cheap and to top it off the minute hand had some play to it. when you moved the watch side to side the minute hand moved a minute up or down, that got sent back in a heart beat, i guess that's what you get for a 50 dollar watch...but I love the rest of my Invicta's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts