Watch Freeks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Long Time Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harwood claims to be the first watch company to have invented the automatic wristwatch. There is some debate, but it is generally accepted that they were the first.
The company founder, John Harwood was consulted by Rolex to help them with their automatic movement. Of course there is debate about that also.
Here is a link to the story of you would like to read more about it.

Harwood does have a good history. The owners today have nothing to do with that though. They bought a folded company and are using that history like their own, like many other rejuvenated watch brands and companys.

I got this for the size, textured dial, the no crown gimmick and the company that owns Ball and Fortis owns it.

Spec sheet.

It was in a very small package, I was surprised by that. As I opened the package, there was a white powder on top. I’ll sniff it later and let you guys know what it is.

When I opened it I could tell they put a lot of pride and joy of presentation in their product. More white powder, so all is forgiven.

At this point, I’m not wowed.

At least it isn’t a return. Here it is, laid out in all its glory.

Then I see the dial and you guys know I’m a sucker for a nice textured dial.

This little thing is actually heavier then I imagined it would be. It has some heft to it.
Here is the side shot, obviously no signed crown

Check out that MSRP.... and with that presentation in the box, it’s sad. Of course I paid 441 or 444 I can’t remember, but for that price I guess I can’t complain about presentation. If I paid that MSRP of $3,450.00 and got that presentation, I’d be pretty mad, I would expect someone to take the plastic off and place it on the watch box pillow. The clasp is well made, it looks like high quality. The bracelet looks comfortable enough, I will size it later, it is a screw link bracelet and it feels like quality.

I didn’t even think it would have lume, I discovered it when I went to the closet to get a jacket. Little thing has tasteful lume though, I’m impressed.

Ugly case back, too blingy for me, I’m glad no one can see it. I’m just not into that much gold plating. Oh, I think it might be a limited edition with that number.

The directions to set the time, I was surprised at how easy it is. I guess it would be tough to put a date on the watch with a bezel control. That’s fine, I like it with no date.

I can’t complain, at the price I got it for and what I got, I got a deal. I like it. I’m not sure how much wrist time it will get, but it’s kind of cool and I’m glad I got it.
Used ones sell for around $900.00, and I got this new for half that, so it was s deal.

·
Super Moderator
4,120 Posts
Enjoy it.

Their site is a bit sparse on information. What movement have they put in that model?

·
Super Moderator
13,221 Posts
Oh neat Trip, and yes, honestly isn't anything to complain about, and
to be honest there's a ton to be ecstatic about ! :D(y)(y)

I am actually wowed just finding out about the brands history, as well
as their return. 😎Seriously just that fact alone is wonderful, and a
joy to hear about. But then to have a watch that represents the history
so well is outstanding as well. With the whole no crown thing right off
the bat leaving me in awe. I mean when do we even see that?! Or see
watches wound by their bezels?! ..It's beyond cool. And how about that
textured dial? Yup, that's exceptional as well, and different too.

Actually, that is what impresses most about this one Trip. Is it does
everything not only well, but also differently. ..Seriously, that indicator
at the bottom of the dial alone rocks. 😊A GIANT congrats here 2 U !!!

·
101 Posts
Yeah, you had me at "invented the automatic." I dig it. Regardless the brand, that's a decent price for a 50-meter sapphired auto.
I even like the blingy workings. Reminds me of a four-door Nova hiding a chromed-out blown big-block under the hood.
Judging from the directions, that the little window above the 6 is some sort of power meter? If so, that's a pretty cool feature.

·
Long Time Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enjoy it.

Their site is a bit sparse on information. What movement have they put in that model?
Other forums are saying it’s a 2892-A2. Harwood itself, never makes it clear.

Yeah, you had me at "invented the automatic." I dig it. Regardless the brand, that's a decent price for a 50-meter sapphired auto.
I even like the blingy workings. Reminds me of a four-door Nova hiding a chromed-out blown big-block under the hood.
Judging from the directions, that the little window above the 6 is some sort of power meter? If so, that's a pretty cool feature.
The indicator above the 6 is to let you know if it’s in safe mode or set the time mode.

·
Oris Freek
3,597 Posts
Other forums are saying it’s a 2892-A2. Harwood itself, never makes it clear.
The indicator above the 6 is to let you know if it’s in safe mode or set the time mode.
Very nice pick up Trip. Great price... Congrats and enjoy !!! 😁
Movement is definitely a modified top notch ETA 2892-A2 or a Sellita SW330-1. Either one is a winner.
Spy under the balance wheel with a magnifying glass, you'll see the stampings. I love the gilted perlage treatment. Looks more vintage. After all, that is the trend these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts