Watch Freeks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not at all a 'Watch Freek' and this will be my first and only post in this forum ;)
But I felt I had to make an entry to praise and promote the company Harold Pinchbeck.

My story is that I retired last year at the age of 63 - when I was 21 (all those years ago) my Dad & Mum bought me a Longines UltraChron watch and that watch has sat on my wrist for 42 years and done a sterling job. Although extremely good quality it is simple and effective - just a second hand and the day of the month - semi automatic and its been very accurate. Its been serviced only once in its lifetime and I've loved it.

Earlier in 2015 it began to show signs of age and began to gradually lose time. My Mum sadly died in January 2015 but my Dad had apparently logged that my watch was 'dying' ;) as on Christmas day - out of the blue - I was presented with a Harold Pinchbeck - George.

It comes in a stunning wooden box - and mine has a personal inscription ....

Inside the excellent box nestles my old Longines ...

Here's the watch with the beautiful leather strap ...

A close up ....

And on the wrist - I HAVE to wear my watch below my wrist bone and have it tight enough so it doesn't move about ...

My Dad told me that the dealings with the company Harold Pinchbeck in the purchase of the watch were exemplary - communication was second to none and nothing was too much trouble.

Since owning it I've emailed them once with a question and got a VERY fast response from Paul Pinchbeck - most impressive.

I have seen lots of narrative on the internet that this is a 'rather small' watch - and is considered a 'dress' watch :rolleyes:

Well - my Dad obviously knows me very well as it suits me down to the ground - it tells the time accurately and reminds me the date...
I don't know how big people want a watch but this one is perfectly adequate as a timepiece at 35mm and I wouldn't wear a watch any bigger. I don't want phases of the moon, stopwatches, how much air is left in my aqualung and other poncey stuff - nor do I need to see guts, innards and moving parts:eek:

As for a 'Dress' watch - My watch is on my wrist 24/7 365 - I never take my watch off unless in the shower or swimming (or in the old days when under the car with spanners) - so I don't understand the concept of 'Dress' - why on earth would I own 2 watches :rolleyes:

So - its a beautiful and unique handmade watch by an excellent company and, by coincidence for my Dad, the company is based in Lincoln where he was born ;)

I cannot praise Harold Pinchbeck and this particular watch highly enough and I know it will last me until ... well ....whenever :p

http://www.haroldpinchbeck.co.uk/george/4522422710

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's a gorgeous piece you have there. Please, stick around. We won't try to convince you to buy anything else, but you may end up catching the bug. If not buying, building. Sorry, I kinda dug through your photobucket and saw the rc planes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If not buying, building. Sorry, I kinda dug through your photobucket and saw the rc planes.
Yep - RC planes are my lifelong passion - just finished the 1/10th Scale Spitfire in my Avatar - note my user name :rolleyes:

Watches tell the time for me - will never buy another - but just wanted to share the craftsmanship :cool:

PS .....

·
Registered
389 Posts
Lol. I've been turning wrenches for a living for the last 14 years or so. Watches just kinda fell into place being mechanical pieces of art.

Figured it may eventually fall into place for you. Especially when you start finding out about pilot watches.

But, no worries. Hopefully, you'll just check out what we have going on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seriously? Your dad made a clock?

He's a genius.
Hardly - just a motivated bloke who was a copper for 30 years from age 20 to 50 - coming out as a Chief Inspector - in his last 3 years he did A levels at night school - then when he retired he went to University for 3 years and got an Education degree - then at 54 he taught in a special school till he was 65 and retired ....again ....

Then he went to an engineering night class with some old boys who liked clocks and with their help he learned the basics and set up a workshop at home and taught himself everything from then on from books ... he's made 7 grandfathers but some of them have been a bit hit and miss and now he's finding out that his accuracy was a bit suspect and some have had to be stripped down and have bits replaced :p

As he says - for every working clock he's made there's probably two more in the scrap box under the bench :rolleyes::D

My own clock - in the picture - is a very temperamental beast - sometimes it just stops for no reason - I restart it and it goes again for maybe a day then stops again ... then it may run for several winds (weeks) without stopping (its a 7 day wind) - then it may stop 4 times in one week ....

You'd be surprised how simple the mechanism is inside - its just the 'knowing how to' ... and oodles of patience ....

There's 2 sides - each with its own weight - the motion side ...

And the strike side ...

Do you like the wooden cocktail sticks holding the ends of the winding cat gut - very Heath Robinson ;)

Personally I can't stand the hourly striker - its a very tinny bell - so I've disabled it ... I just love the tick / tock :)

But there's no way he could have made the case - he doesn't understand wood at all :rolleyes:

So no - he's not a genius - he just likes fettling and has patience and that's where I got it from - I love making stuff ... I just bought a 3D printer for my workshop ... now that machine IS genius ;):cool:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'm so glad you stopped by to share all that you've shared! Thank you, it was a fun read! I do hope you stick around as you seem like quite the interesting addition to our motley crew around here!

Stick around or no, cheers to you either way, and congrats on the watch and an awesome dad!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm so glad you stopped by to share all that you've shared! Thank you, it was a fun read! I do hope you stick around as you seem like quite the interesting addition to our motley crew around here!

Stick around or no, cheers to you either way, and congrats on the watch and an awesome dad!
Thanks for that - I have nothing else to add watch wise - I've got a nice one - and shared it ... so I'm not going to set the forum alight with talk of Breitlings and Rolex etc etc as that doesn't float my boat ...

But - I do enjoy forums and belong to several regarding my main hobby of RC plane building .. forum camaraderie is excellent and I do love the thought of conversing with people all over the world from here in deepest darkest South West Cornwall (UK) ... only the other day I was discussing bee keeping and honey production with a chap in New Mexico on a model forum ... I don't keep bees - but I do like honey :p

I have also learned to keep off certain subjects which sorely vex me - like gun ownership and religion (I can't abide either of them) :rolleyes::eek:

But Its fun to 'meet' with like minds electronically - so I may yet post a bit about my model planes in the 'Off Topics' bit if the mood takes me ;)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Such a fine story. Thanks for sharing! :D

Do post about your RCs. I would gladly read.

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts