Watch Freeks banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bit of an oops over the weekend. I was handing my watch to a friend who wanted to try it on. Unfortunately he missed the handoff and the watch dropped over the side of the second floor balcony, approximately twenty feet above the ground. Where it landed had a kind of carpet so there are no physical marks on the watch, but it stopped running. I'm sure that things inside the watch got moved around. The watch is an Invicta Ocean Ghost automatic, and while I do ninety percent of my own watch work I feel that this is beyond my ability to fix. The watch was a gift from someone important to me some time back so I would like to get it repaired. I don't want to send it to Invicta and have it out for six months only to come back in the same condition that it was sent. Where I live there is no place to get it repaired. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to send it for repair that I won't have to take a second mortgage to get it done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
There is a local jeweler where I live that has a contracted watchmaker come in to do work. He's very good and very reasonable. I doubt you want to send it to Grand Rapids, Michigan, however. I'd call around to some local jewelers ask about prices on watch overhaul/servicing costs (disassemble, clean, oil, and reassembly) for a watch that just needs to be cleaned and lubed but in otherwise good working order. This will give you a general idea of what they are charging.
My guess is that the balance wheel and escapement was damaged and will likely need replacing... I had balance wheel replaced and pocket watch serviced for just over $100 from our local guy. This is quite exceptionally cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts