Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

To begin posting of my watchpics, I will start with the group collections and then later, as time permits, post individual watch pics. My collection consists of 92 wrist watches and 57 vintage pocketwatches, most which will be shown someplace in these photos, although a few watches are not included here.

My wristwatch collection consists of: 2 Breitling, 1 Ball, 3 Rolex, 1 Armand Nicolet (not the Croton Nicolet), 9 Gevril, 2 NFW, 3 Chase Durer, 2 Phillip, 7 Zodiac, 5 Oceanaut, 5 SeaPro, 3 JL, 2 SWI, 3 Swiss Military, 3 Seiko, 3 ADK, 2 Akribos, 2 Stauer, 1 Triumph, 1 Oniss, 2 Croton, 2 Kenneth Cole, and 28 Invicta. My vintage pocketwatch collection consists mainly of RR Grade watches, although I do have some others that are even older (dating to 1880). I will show the pocketwatches individually, later, but I do display here the groupings.

I have been collecting vintage pocketwatches for over 30 years, and wristwatches for approximately 15 years, save the one Rolex that I purchased in 1970 and wore exclusively for over 30 years.

Vintage pocketwatch collecting will continue, providing I can find watches that meet my standards of collecting, near perfect timepieces --- these are very hard to come by these days, I almost never find one anymore.

My wristwatch collecting has evolved into the more premium watches, so much so, that I will only purchase two or three per year anymore, Breitling, Ball, NFW, Zodiac, Zeno, Oris, Omega, and maybe if I save enough, an IWC. I will no longer purchase most of the TV sold watches, and probably never again an Invicta, I have too many of these now.

Most of the wristwatches in my collection do get wrist time, although there are a few Invictas that I have never worn. I find myself gravitating to the higher quality brands that I own, they seem to give me much more pleasure when I wear them.

To start the wristwatch collection pictures, most of the wristwatches are shown, here are the colections in their watchboxes, which are kept in a cabinet, not on the display table shown here:

At the left corner is a box of accessory bracelets for my right arm. Most often, I will select a bracelet that compliments the watch that I have selected to wear for the day.

This photo shows 4 of the watches not shown in the first photo of all the watches in boxes on the table. I did not remove these watches from the winders for the first photo. At the top left is one of my Breitlings, a SuperOcean Steelfish, and at the top right is a Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Classic. In the Rotolution winder are two Phillip Admirales. Just a comment on the two top Wolf winders, these winders must be set twice a day to keep these watches running. I can comment about these winders later should anyone have any questions about my statement.

Next are the Vintage Pocketwatches. Some of you folks may have seen some of these photos, or similar ones on another forum.

This group of Vintage Pocketwatches, all RR Grade watches, are the finest in my collection and include some very rare and perfect watches, all run and keep exemplary time. Many of these watches I have featured, individually, with many photos and detailed histories on another forum. I will, as time permits, post several of these beautiful timepieces, including close-up photos of their magnificent movements, individually on this forum.

The next photos are groupings of the remainder of the vintage pocketwatch collection, all extremely fine, all watches run and keep acceptable time.

This last group of three pocketwatches are the three that I have selected from my collection to carry. I often carry a pocketwatch as well as wear a wristwatch, selecting one of the watches below that compliments the finish of the wristwatch and bracelet that I am wearing. I do not carry the other pocketwatches, because carrying always results in "pocket wear" to the watches. These three watches, while perfect runners,with near perfect cases, dials, and with gorgeous movements, have small flaws in the cases that make them less perfect for a collector piece, thus they have been selected to carry.

These three "carrying" watches are all very high quality RR Grade watches. At the left is a Waltham Riverside, the center is a SS Hamilton 992B, and on the right is a Hamilton 950B.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to read this post and view these pics. I do hope that I have added something meaningful to this forum, and I look forward to posting individual photos of both the wristwatches and the vintage pocketwatches in the days to come.

Many regards to all, and always, peace . . .

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

OK, I think I just spontaneuosly started weeping after looking at your AMAZING collection. I CAN NOT wait to learn more about your watches (all of them). Thank you for posting all of that amazing info.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

OMG

(nothing else to say)

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Thanks for sharring the photos of your awesome collection of timepieces! Hopefully you will post more and share some of the history ofthe pocketwatches in your collection. Again, a truly fantasic collection John!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
imported post

That is the most impressive collection of watches and pocketwatches i have ever seen.I think you could start your own museum if you wanted to.How long has it taken you to amass such a collection?
ken

·
Registered
767 Posts
imported post

Very impressive collection, John- I really enjoyed reading about your pocketwatches; the more involved I get with collecting, the more of an appreciation I have for a classic RR grade piece. I was fortunate enough to inherit a few from my grandfather, and have enjoyed looking up their serial #'s, finding out when they were made and how many were produced. Mine are all Elgin and Hamilton. I just love how loudly they tick and also the amazingly decorated movements. Needless to say, I'm extremely impressed with your collection; one would be lucky to have just the three you carry in your pocket...OUTSTANDING!

·
Registered
298 Posts
imported post

WOW - what an amazing collection - I really love the pocket watches. I have one of the Hamilton Railway Specials too. Thanks very much for sharing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.