Watch Freeks banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Been AWOL for a while (here and most watch forums). Been content with my small collection and was focused on other real life hobbies for a while (non-watches).

My 40th is coming up in Oct (and Las Vegas trip planned by my wife and her brother so god knows what evil may befall upon me!!).

I've always had the Omega PO chrono as my grail (for many many years and I've posted this in many "whats your grail" threads without any hesitation..it has never changed over the years).

My wife is urging me to get it for my birthday (and she's always frowning at my watch purchases so this is definitely 'the moment'!). But I dunno.....$4k+ is a MAJOR MAJOR watch purchase for me .....The max I went was on my Tag Carrera preowned for $2k and even that caused a few heart palpitations at that moment!!

On the same note, I've seen older threads where people do get their 'grail watch' and if you look at their current signature, they've well moved on past the grail and either upgraded to something else or downgraded back.

For me, I've pictured the PO for many years and still do so I think it might be one purchase that might put a end to major purchases (for a while). But again, I dunno. I have a good friend on another forum who saved up for a Breitling and finally bought one and was happy ......for 3 months. He sold the Breitling and upgraded to a Rolex sub ..hah!

This really defeats the whole purpose of even having a grail in the first place. Why save up half of life savings on something that's only good for a few months before ending up as yet 'another watch in the drawer'.

Thought I'd ask yall here who've plunged into their all time grails and years later, if they still own it once the honeymoon is over or well moved on past it?

Thanks......

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
The only "last Grail Watch" you buy, is the one you purchase right before you croak.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Buy it!!! :)

You may end up moving on but it's something you've wanted for years and even if you do that's a great 40th present.

My grail watch was always a TAG of some kind I had always just held them as something special in my mind.

Since buying my first I bought two more and love them but now I aspire to own a Rolex or Omega. Just how it goes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
To me, grail watch just refers to the longing I have for the watch... I would never think that it will be the last watch I see before I croak... If you covet this watch as much as you seem to, you will enjoy owning and wearing it just as much. Don't think too much about never again purchasing a watch. Just know that the satisfaction this one will bring will be immense.

·
Banned
754 Posts
My grails are so much cheaper, Thank God. To me, a Grail is that watch color combo that cannot be beat, in my eyes. You owe it to yourself to conquer yours and find out but you won't know if it's a keeper until you've owned it.

Color combo as in black/black (dial/bezel), black SS, Blue/blue, blue/SS, black/bronzer, Green/bronze, etc.

I always let my eyes have their way. So I own the best looking grails I have ever seen of the color combos that I have. I still need that green/bronze (Armida A1 or VDB No Limit) one day.

Buy it, please and can't wait to see it.

·
3,979 Posts
Fellow Freeks:
Ever hear the quote "One mans trash is another man's treasure"?
Your Grail may be another Freeks trash and tuther way arround.
IMO Grails need not be the priciest or the most chic.
Currently waiting an Ivan watch from Cristopal City Russia
Hardly anyones Grail.

X traindriver Art

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I bought my "grail" earlier this year, a new Seiko SBDX001 Marine Master 300. Biggest single watch purchase I had ever made to this point.
I really have nothing else I am looking into that I could realistically afford in the near future, so now it is just time to thin down the collection and enjoy what I have.

That being said, if you have the means, then buy it. It has been in your mind for long enough you know it isn't a passing fad.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Good post.
Raises an interesting issue.

·
13,273 Posts
I find that when you hang out on this or other watch forums, and you are continually being teased with everyone else's latest addition, grail, etc., there is always another "must have" watch. It's never ending....at least for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fellow Freeks:
Ever hear the quote "One mans trash is another man's treasure"?

That is so true.

Price is so much less relevant than I ever realised when I first looked into buying watches. So the relatively cheap Seiko watches I bought recently to someone else they may wonder what the fuss is, I love them though!

Chap in my office was saying he likes watches etc But he wasn't enamoured with my Seiko but prefers fashion watches which I wouldn't personally spend my money on so its very subjective.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
VERY good topic and question. Here is my thoughts. I will start with a question.

Question - Is a "grail" obtainable or not? IN MY OPINION and TO ME I have always had 2 levels or "grails" based on my income and spending comfort level per my family living expenses.

To ME I have "grails" that were obtainable (for example my Breitling and my Omega). They were both my MOST wanted watches for many years (a decade+) and I saved and saved and saved and sold many others to obtain them. I still own them, BUT they could someday be moved I guess. But TO ME these were purchases that were FAR ABOVE my normal comfort level to spend and "luxury level" watches that I considered obtainable "grails". These I was able to make an extraordinary effort to save to own.

Then I have some currently UN-obtainable "grails" (for example a Rolex Deep Sea, a Zenith model, a Patek model, a Carl Buscher model and a few others). These are watches that I could ONLY own IF I was to win the lottery or somehow come into a lot of disposable money. Due to their extreme cost (TO ME), trying to save for them would not be possible with my other living expenses. They are just way to expensive (FOR ME). I love them. I want them. But they are (TO ME) UN-obtainable "grail" watches.

Just me humble opinion on the topic.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I will use my mantra here - Why tiptoe thru life ,only to arrive safely at death -

life is short , do what makes you happy

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will use my mantra here - Why tiptoe thru life ,only to arrive safely at death -

life is short , do what makes you happy
Reads post....sells house, sell X5, downgrade to Kia, moves in a apartment condo and buys a Hublot Chrono Tourby ...heck...goes back to dealer and buys another one for the weekend :smile-thumb2:!!

·
Long Time Member
989 Posts
I find that when you hang out on this or other watch forums, and you are continually being teased with everyone else's latest addition, grail, etc., there is always another "must have" watch. It's never ending....at least for me

Amen brother, Amen!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I agree with TV Dinner in having two types of grails.

Also grails are an accomplishment of some sort for most people. Sense of accomplishment

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
I don't have grails. I have watches I want or like, and watches I like that I can't afford.

If you want the Omega, go for it. Will you sell it 6 months from now? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much you love it and being satisfied with what you have and not lusting after the next chase.

I have that problem sometimes, not being content with what I have and chasing something else.
I think it's because with forums, Facebook, etc etc, temptation is always there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts