Watch Freeks banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Does anyone have a GPS they would care to comment on ?...I'd be interested in reading your thoughts...I'm ready to upgrade & had intended staying with Garmin but, there might be something else I would prefer & I could benefit from your knowledge/wisdom...

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

I use a map I don't wanna end up like that couple lost in the mountains while trying to take the short cut the GPS gave them.... LOL

·
Registered
837 Posts
imported post

I have a Garmin, have had it for a few years and very happy with it. GPS's do not replace maps, always carry one if you are going somewhere unfamiliar. As for people getting lost or stuck because of their GPS, they were too stupid and would've gotten stuck if they had used a map also. Who in their right mind takes a forest service road during a snow storm. And further more, who continues driving into it when it starts getting deep and they are without traction devices. I've heard so many stories about people turning onto RR tracks because their GPS said to turn, hello, there was probably a road just on the other side of the tracks. My GPS tells me to turn up a one way road to get to my house, problem is, the one way is down, not up. You still have to read road signs and use common sense. Sorry for my rant, but people relying solely on their GPS and then blaming it for their circumstances really irks me.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

I've used a number of them.I've got a Garmin nuvi in the nismo.I had a magellan in the versa.the magellan came with free msn for the 1st year.Thats live traffic updates and detours which really doesn't help.by the time you know a traffic jam is ahead,its too late.also a few bugs with it also.when in map mode, thats when its on but not routing, the mph is the size of a ticks turd.It doesn't have a dashbord display thats easy to navigate to.If you have to search through pages while driving,you aren't watching the road, so that one sucks.The nuvi has the main gps display.touch one corner and it goes to the dashboard display.central is mph in big print.the rest is elapsed time, etc.its laid out right.you can also save a destination on the fly, find food,gas,hotels from your current location.I guess what I'm saying is the garmin works.I'm totally dependant on these when travelling.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

I have a Tom Tom One and and cant get any more accurate..Gets you where you need to go...My wife loves it and cannot stand my Garmin...I recommend TomTom..

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

I also have a Tom Tom and love it! It's accurate and is easy to read and excellent instructions. I would recommend a Tom Tom!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I use google maps on my smart phone and it works perfectly to be honest. finds me via satellite and guides me where ever I need to go.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

google maps works also.another cell phone advantage.Garmin does update.The 1st one is free.The 2nd one isn't. A number of the gps companies don't offer free updates.

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

I just wanted a no frills GPS so the Tom-Tom One works just fine.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Hi Duchess, I think we have a Garmin Nuvi. Usually if we are going someplace unfamiliar Theresa drives and I keep on the console or hold it and tell her when the turns are coming up,even though it does speak and alert of upcoming turns. I think it can be distracting on the dashboard. I think they now come with voice prompts with name of streets, when to turn and traffic conditions, etc.The one I have is probably the least expensive model available and it works well. Last May my nephew Mike and I used it to get to the Indiasnapolis Motor Speedway, which was probably a 180 mile drive. Make sure thet no hidden monthly fees are part of the model you purchase. I heard you can be charged for being told about traffic conditions and some includes that feature in the sale price. Also, when we purchased our Nuvi, they advised that it ca be updated every year or two to get more current maps. I hope this helps a little. ....Bob

·
Registered
435 Posts
imported post

Aloha Duchess;

I used to have a Tom-Tom and I really enjoyed it with all of the little bells and wistles that are programmed into it. I also really enjoyed thier website and users group. I recently pass it on to one of my sons who lives near Baltimore because I have cut way back on trips to the mainland and it is actually difficult to get lost on Maui. When you become slightly dissoriented here you simply head for the ocean and keep it on your right side, and the volcano on your left side and eventually you,ll find a familliar place !

I now use my Blackberry Storm's mobile phone GPS application and it does as well as the Tom-Tom without the hassle of mounting and unmounting and hiding and cigarette lighter plugs and wires and the propensity to forget to bring it !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.