Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

.This is the only forum that I've been on where if it ain't 50mm and up, you ain't buying.Wearing something the size of a plate on your wrist looks silly.If you think people are giving it admiring glances, guess again.They're trying to figure out why you don't tip over from the sheer weight of that wrist monkey.Call this a rant or whatever, but almost any watch I post here, the comment is always made that if it was bigger,you'd buy it.Kind of puts the damper on me posting up expensive watches.I'd hate to offend all of you guys by posting my 45.5mm planet ocean.Apparently, its cheap because it isn't big.Fellas, big doesn't mean quality, it just means its big.You don't see me posting that I'd buy thatif itit was smaller do you?this is supposed to be about all watches, not just massive pieces.

my citizen review was about the watch. Instead, it turned into its a small watch.

Have a good one, these types of comments on almost every post is to much for me to take.Eventually, I'd say something pretty nasty about this, so its time to go.

until you get over size, you are going to limit the number of folks who will join your forum.Remember.Not everybody wheres 50mm watches.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Well too bad the skin is so thin, take it easy and enjoy yourself where ever you land! I have learned that not every place is for me, I am sure you will find a home somewhere!

·
Registered
512 Posts
imported post

WOW!!!!!

I think a couple of my watches were just insulted.
:WW

I think there is a wide enough variety of timepieces to suit everyone's needs.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

typical response it seems above.sean not all of us measure quality based on size so bummer to see ya go. i enjoy seeing your collection so dont let a few people paint the wrong picture of this place.

·
Registered
281 Posts
imported post

The big ones are kind of the current style...maybe. I have been through the huge watch stage and I still like them. I used to think (after trying some of the huge ones) that a 40mm diver looked silly. That was all in my head I guess, I have come to realize that a 40mm watch still looks fantastic.

It goes both ways...there are some great looking 50mm watches and some really ugly 50mm watches...same with 40s.

As for the "I would buy it if it was bigger"...well, if you would "buy something if it was smaller, just say so". I dont think anybody is insulting your taste or watches...and I would love to have an Omega PO.

Members are just expressing opinions...I can only imagine what many members think of my G-Shocks...but hey, its a fun place and plenty of nice watches for everybody.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

You see here is the problem with your and his statement. First of all I dont know that anyone critisized his watches, however he did critisize mine and I quote " Wearing a dinner plate on your wrist looks silly" you on the other hand, love to:pkand I know this. Which too be honest I dont take personally, so its all good IMHO! If he is that thinned skinned, and takes all of the statements too heart....well let him flea! Like a stated I am sure he will find a home and this isnt probably isnt it!

ericf4 wrote:
typical response it seems above.sean not all of us measure quality based on size so bummer to see ya go. i enjoy seeing your collection so dont let a few people paint the wrong picture of this place.

·
Registered
241 Posts
imported post

Me, I don't like the big honkin watches either, but as long as my post about my watch or opinion is not hijacked into 'only big watches count...' thread, I'm ok with folks comments about big watches. Each to his own. Stick around, not everyone will put down what you say, that's what a forum is all about, different opinions.

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

I'll be honest - it would suck to see you go, especially for no reason. I love your posts, watches and info. And that citizen thread you mentioned, almost everyone said the watch was great, which it is.

I have many watches that are between 45-48mm. I have smaller watches also. I like them all.

Just my 2 cents, but you would be missed. I hope you stick around.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Sean I hope you reconsider staying...You bring tremendous knowledge to the forum and I think plenty of us freeks can learn so much from you. Me personally I really enjoy your posts because they are diversified and not about one particular watch brand and that I truly enjoy. Hope you stick around Sean because this forum definitely needs a member like you....

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Sean,

I'm with you my friend. I too only own a couple of watches that are bigger then 45mm. I personally like the 40-45mm sized watches. I would hate to see you go, but if that is what you must do then I guess this is good-bye. Thanks for all your contributions here. I hope you change your mind and stick around.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

I own some very small watches 65 years old but most of my collection is 36mm and larger. Watches to 55mm but most of my watches range between 44mm and 48mm. which is confortable for me. I enjoy posts about all sizes because as a collecter it is interesting to me, if someone wants to wear a very large watch its there business but I dont it against them because they like a large watch. I know most high end watche are normaly below 46mm as I own some.

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

All good guys - please that is enough.

Sean - we most (I can not speak for everyone obviously) of us hope you stick around. Forums are all about discussions and so far I see a whole lot of good ones.

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

go? why? your posts have been great and there have been many subsequent good posts in those threads. i never understand people leaving a forum. just ignore people you don't want to read. on the really big forums (watch forums and others) i am members of you have many many people who post off topic or negatively and you just breeze right over them to the good stuff.

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . this is not good.

I understand Sean's sentiment, but I think checking out is a little more than is needed on your part Sean. I am not a "man-hole cover" fan myself. I learned that after spending good money on a Reserve Speedway XL, it was a great watch that became ugly to me due to it's size. I am quite fond of my 42mm pieces, and consider 44-46mm to my prefered size.

That being said, I really dig seeing your watches . . . . they are of a quality I cannot afford and I covet them through your posts. You also possess great knowledge on the history of brands, as well as a wealth of information on movements.

Your frustration has put a wide brush in your hands. I would ask that you don't paint us all with it . . . continue to share, knowing that there are those of us who appreciate it for what you bring. And it is plenty . . . . Randy.

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

I just reread the original post and, sorry to say, he's pretty much right. He's posted reviews and pictures of great time pieces. But I've even noticed the trend of complimenting a persons watch and then going on about how "it's not for me", sorry dude. Personally, I've learned very quickly which people to ignore here and appreciate the ones that have something to contribute.

I've noticed too that Dedwards posts always get a lot of looks so I'm sure that many people enjoyed them. They just didn't comment.

As far as the comment about large watches. They have their place but it shouldn't always be size over quality. And his collection's quality is superb.

But this isn't a forum that concentrates on just size, really, just some of the most prolific posters.

I hope Dedward reconsiders and I hope this doesn't become yet another Invicta only forum.

Please speak your mind but also be a little tactful or you're never going to learn anything.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I don't even own a 50mm watch yet I can appreciate them just as I do watches in my sweet spot. I even own some sub-40mm watches. To each their own and if you don't like what I like then don't buy it. But I don't take offense if you don't like it either. I comment on large watches even though I probably won't buy them and I comment on expensive watches even though I can't afford them. It is all part of my enjoyment participating in this forum. Agree with me or don't, the choice is yours and I will respect you either way.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
imported post

Sorry, had to chime in on this one. Dude - Opinions are like @$$***** - everybody's got one! You think large watches are silly looking - some people here think that a 40mm watch on a guy is silly looking too. Personally, I own watches in the 42-50mm range. As far as brands I think Rolexes are small and generic looking (Except the Millgauss anniversary ;P) but I know they are quality made. I wouldn't buy one for myself but I wouldn't say no if I got one as a gift. Yet I think my 50mm Sturhling Madman is the bees knees. I know its a lower end piece but I love it. In some forums if I posted this I would be laughed out of town. Here at WatchFreeks I know I wouldn't be. A quality piece or not. Its all preference. I don't think people are bashing your pieces - just giving their opinions. Constructive criticism never hurt anybody anyways. This is a great watch forum - actually one of the most open-minded about watches that I have seen out there. However as for the tone of your post about the people here.....:madd

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.