Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Please, rate my current work. Our team is working on the project of the designer Gnomon timepiece which combines the aesthetics of ancient Roman sun dials with a modern wristwatch.

The key features are single hand concept referring to a gnomon of sun dials, sandwich dial with the inner layer made of artifically worn out steel with a unique texture, high quality hand made leather straps, authentic dial design and engraving.

Please, let me know what do you think about Gnomon!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
your using the same name as a busy online retailer Gnomon Watches
Yeah, I was confused for a few seconds. I was wondering why Gnomon Watches was promoting something so tacky looking.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not that familiar with single-hand pieces, but I assume that the larger, inner blue markers are the half-hour indicators, and the small hash marks under the main hour markers are 10-minute intervals?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ontime, thanks! I'm not so sure about the movement yet, but the prototypes are completed with Miyota 8215.

Myke, the watch is called Gnomon as well as the brand itself. It's not a trademark, since gnomon is a common part of sun dials. No connections with the Singaporean watch store whatsoever.

Chuck, could you please be more specific on what you find tacky here? :)

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Ontime, thanks! I'm not so sure about the movement yet, but the prototypes are completed with Miyota 8215.

Myke, the watch is called Gnomon as well as the brand itself. It's not a trademark, since gnomon is a common part of sun dials. No connections with the Singaporean watch store whatsoever.

Drop an Miyota 9015 or a Seiko NH35 in it and I maybe interested, but with a 8215, the same movement that's in an $54 Invicta, you can count me out!

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I’m not your audience and therefore the watch strikes me as a novelty, rather than practical. The start-up watch business is booming and is must be a challenge to come up with someone new. We have watches with cases made out of wood, stone, bronze, carbon fibre and what not and the whole spectrum of dials, bezels, hands and every perceivable combination has been covered now. One hand clocks were the beginning and one hand watches are not new. I hope you find enough enthusiasts for this watch to make your business successful but I’m not one of them.

Reactions: Reflex and Myke

·
Registered
5,494 Posts

Apple is the name of a common fruit.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m not your audience and therefore the watch strikes me as a novelty, rather than practical. The start-up watch business is booming and is must be a challenge to come up with someone new. We have watches with cases made out of wood, stone, bronze, carbon fibre and what not and the whole spectrum of dials, bezels, hands and every perceivable combination has been covered now. One hand clocks were the beginning and one hand watches are not new. I hope you find enough enthusiasts for this watch to make your business successful but I’m not one of them.
Thanks for your opinion!

I understand that almost everything has been already invented and reinvented a thousand times in the watch industry :) I'm not implying that I'm creating something new in the industry, but I'm trying to find myself in the rather unique concept. I want to recreate different ancient time tellers in a wristwatch format, so if I manage to develop my idea further, than it should be really something worth attention! Hope to return with something that will enamour you too :)

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Thanks for your opinion!

I understand that almost everything has been already invented and reinvented a thousand times in the watch industry :) I'm not implying that I'm creating something new in the industry, but I'm trying to find myself in the rather unique concept. I want to recreate different ancient time tellers in a wristwatch format, so if I manage to develop my idea further, than it should be really something worth attention! Hope to return with something that will enamour you too :)
I’m a one trick pony: black dialled, vintage inspired (homage) micro brand dive watches :D

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Gnomon is gnone :D

·
Registered
863 Posts
I was in cub scout once when I was a young lad and I learned about sun dial and stuff. I then was gifted an inexpensive Timex analog watch that I wore for a few years. Later I was able to afford a digital G-Shock as a teenager thru paper route and mowing lawns. I can still relate to the sun dial I guess so this concept hits close to home. But that's about it I'm afraid.

Best of luck to the venture!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sundial watch? Already been done. See The Flintstones.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Unfortunately I would agree with most of the posts. I wear a watch as something I like to look at on my wrist and be able to tell the time. That thing would take way too much "time" to tell the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for you opinions, guys!

If you like the watch, I have terrific news. The launch is coming very soon!

Here's the website of my project: www.solar-lab.co

You can subscribe to updates and get notified on the launch and other interesting news!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Amazing news, guys!

We've hit the pre-order stage with the help of Kickstarter! If you're interested in getting some cool watches, search for Gnomon watch on Kickstarter or send me a PM and I'll tell you more :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts