• Steinhart

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battle of the Boutique brand ceramic bezel GMTs.

Steinhart vs. Squale.

Both brands sport 42mm cases, sapphire crystals, 2893-2 movements. Both have GMT functions, and both are Rolex GMT II homages. Both have ceramic bezels, Steinhart with a more “Rolexy” font, Squale with engraved font. Lug width on Steinhart is the standard 22mm while the lug width on the Squale is the odd 21mm.

Squale. $710.

Steinhart $466.

Is the Squale really worth an extra $244 ?

·
Registered
7,651 Posts

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I'd bet that they are made in the same factory. I'd get a CW before getting either of those.

Heck, you can buy the other 2 for the price of this. Nice looking but not at over a grand.

Reactions: WatchMedic

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd bet that they are made in the same factory. I'd get a CW before getting either of those.

Looks great, except for the polished center links.

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Could be, but Squale has the history and reputation of making their own cases, for other brands first, then their own. Could be why the price difference.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/blood-in-the-water-water-in-its-blood-a-brief-history-of-squale
the VON BUREN CASE & history of free diving is a good story on the SHARKIE...

you own the PREMIE BLUE STEINNY... if you like how STEINNY plays on your wrist...

if STEINNY feels too big... the SHARKIE plays a little more svelte

i like them and own both...not feeling it on CW

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the VON BUREN CASE & history of free diving is a good story on the SHARKIE...

you own the PREMIE BLUE STEINNY... if you like how STEINNY plays on your wrist...

if STEINNY feels too big... the SHARKIE plays a little more svelte

i like them and own both...not feeling it on CW
My Steinhart Smurf rides well on my 8" wrist, so size and comfort is no problem there. For $466 the Steinhart is a good bargain.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Neither are worth the money imo.

Seiko or citizen in that price range.
Can you give us some examples of Seiko and Citizens in that price range that you could recommend?

I'm a Seiko and Citizen fan as well.

Reactions: GoodWatch

·
Registered
527 Posts
Can you give us some examples of Seiko and Citizens in that price range that you could recommend?

I'm a Seiko and Citizen fan as well.
Seiko: Monster, Tuna Monster, Sumo, Tuna.

Citizen: more than I can recall off the top of my head, but the air divers are beautifully made, top shelf pieces.

You can also get pretty much any G-Shock for that money, including the brilliant Giez and Frogman series, as well as a bunch of the newer ones like the Rangeman.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Think the op is going for that Rolex look so suggesting Monsters and tunas while great watches don't really fit. If I recall the op has or had a Sumo so guessing he does not want another.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oops, missed that. Seiko and citizen can't help you there. They just make excellent watches.
I already have a Monster and a Blumo, was considering the Baby Tuna, but it looks like the Monster already.

·
Registered
221 Posts

The Christopher Ward is looking good for me. I wonder how the British Pound is fairing? Might be a good buy.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided to not go with either of these GMTs and opted for the Seiko Kinetic Tuna with a true jump hour hand GMT function, which the other two lacked.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know it's not in the same ballpark at all but one of my grails is the Tag Formula 1 gmt batman for $1200. It's close to the Rolex but has just enough of its own identity.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know it's not in the same ballpark at all but one of my grails is the Tag Formula 1 gmt batman for $1200. It's close to the Rolex but has just enough of its own identity.
Have you looked at those in person? I was intrigued by photos on the net, but when I saw it in person, was completely underwhelmed, the flat black and blue matte bezel made the watch look like it was a cheap Casio Edifice I used to have.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have you looked at those in person? I was intrigued by photos on the net, but when I saw it in person, was completely underwhelmed, the flat black and blue matte bezel made the watch look like it was a cheap Casio Edifice I used to have.

Actually no, but thank you :) I checked every jewelry and watch store at the mall by me but none of them carry tag anymore...

I think now I'd probably rather the Bernhardt version (Globemaster II) after reading their story and seeing your previous comment. Plus it's half the price and a micro-brand :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts