Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Not sure what GG stands for, and I can't give any sort of ideas on quality from personal experience. I can tell you that they are owned by Swatch Group. In my opinion, that indicates some quality as they are doing wonders with Omega, Blancpain, Longines, Hamilton, and many others. They own ETA SA and supply movements to ... well, damn near everyone.... Jaeger-LeCoultre, Panerai, IWC, and the list goes on.

Given that, I have to assume that Glashutte is the real deal.
You can read the Wiki page for more details. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glashütte_Original

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
It's just a design element on the rotor.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
May I know if Glashütte Original is at the same level as Breguet, Blancpain, and JLC?

This will show you where GG is positioned among the Swatch brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wait, Calvin Klein in the same level as Mido, Hamilton, and Tissot? Have I been missing out by ignoring their watches all this time?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bit late for this party -- but, I've only just joined.

Health warning -- I have become a bit of a junkie for Glashütte Original (GO).
Having said that, I'll try to explain why I believe GO is a quality watchmaker.

It all started when I thought I wanted one of these (web pic):

When I went to the dealer in London, he also had GO in stock -- and I saw this:

which I bought . . . .

Why?
-- I thought the dial was just as beautiful, and rather more harmonious,
-- the date wheels are coplanar (they are not in the Lange, and, once seen cannot be unseen)
-- admittedly in steel (Lange does only precious metal) it was one quarter of the Lange price ($$$ versus $$$$)
-- on fondling both, I thought the difference in quality did not justify (for me) the price difference.

To give you an visual indication, here are web photos of the movements visible through the case backs.

Lange

GO (calibre 65)

The Lange is definitely finer, but that doesn't mean that the GO is not quite fine in its own right.

Lange and GO are next door to each other in the small community of Glashütte -- which has about seven thousand inhabitants and at least eleven watch factories. Given that demographic, some measure of "cross-fertilization" of ideas is pretty much inevitable.

Like Lange, GO designs and produces all its own movements. GO also has dedicated in-house dial and case manufacture in Pforzheim (jewelry capital of Germany).

Lange is the German high end subsidiary of Richemont. GO is the same for Swatch group.

I still lust after a Lange -- but have not yet seen "the one" (at least in my price range).

However, in the meantime, I am also the proud owner of a GO Sport Evolution (calibre 39-41)

and an (incredibly elegant) GO Senator Excellence (calibre 36-01)

GO currently represents one third of my small collection -- and there are other really seductive pieces still to tempt.

So, is GO the "poor man's Lange"? In that GO produces two comparable ranges to Lange (Senator/Saxonia and Pano/1) at a slightly lower quality, and at a different price point, yes.

But, is GO a pretty fine watchmaking enterprise in its own right? For you to judge by examining their products -- but, IMHO, definitely yes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't know if these two brands are related in any way. But these guys put a hell of a show at Basel IMO...
As far as I know, Mühle is independent. Traditionally a manufacturer of nautical instruments, it also makes "tool" watches of good quality. IIRC using mainly modified Sellita movements.

The manufacturers in Glashütte who like to think of themselves as truly high end are ALS, GO, Moritz Grossmann and (arguably) Nomos. All are clustered together in the centre of the village.

AFAIK, the only corporate link between any of the manufacturers there is between GO and UNION-Glashütte (both members of Swatch Group).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts