Watch Freeks banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like everyone, I have loved the Rolex Submariners, but like many, I found it hard to justify 8K, or more, for one. I had thought of Steinhart as a substitute, but they just didn't have the "it" factor for me - for me, the "it" factor may be the most important thing. If it doesn't speak to me personally, I may like it, but I never want it.

That said, the Ocean Rover seems to be ticking the boxes for me. It has the "it" factor, the question for me is whether I would like it as much as a Rolex. I mean, why have something that just reminds you that you should have purchased something else.

To be specific, I am talking about the Ocean-Rover 181270GSLID, no date, blue bezel and golden indicies. Here: https://ginault.com/ocean-rover-181270/ or the 181070GSLID with blue bezel and sand https://ginault.com/ocean-rover-181070/

I am wondering, does anyone have experience with the brand? What are your likes and dislikes? Also, for anyone interested, do you have any comments on it that you think I should consider?

·
Registered
627 Posts
a very overpriced Rolex clone with a lot of evidence pointing to the owner of ginault being a prior maker of replica watches that simply rebadged his fake watches to go mainstream.

not sure what the "it" factor is, but the only factor i can see ginault having is a rebranded replica rolex with an unknown movement that the owner has also made great efforts to keep in the dark as far as production and origin go.

get whatever suits you, but for $1300 you can do better than a rolex replica and a reworked Chinese clone movement.

at least with a Steinhart you know what you are getting, and at a third of the cost.

plenty of rolex clones to choose from though. you could go with a squale and still spend less money.

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
Can see why you like these so much Rob ! :clap2:

You can almost feel, or imagine the weight of these just from
the pictures, and see that the quality is pretty impressive it
seems. Also love the contrasts, and colors used on both the
bezel, and dial. You can imagine it in person ! :cool:

Unfortunately don't have any experience, and other than
the price that WM pointed out. It really does hit on all
cylinders, and tick all of the boxes like you said.

Very nice sir !!!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having just listened to Tattoo Chef's review on youtube, then reading further, I see the brand is suspect. I do not back away from the watch having the "it" factor, it is what it is; but for now, I will wait. Nonetheless, the watch just has it for me. Glad I asked. Thanks for trying to alert me, WatchMedic!

I agree with you, AT, it's got that presence. Maybe I will end up with one eventually, but for now, I am holding on. Either way, a Tudor Heritage Black Bay is on my list first.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The Steinharts I've seen in person really are top notch, my brother bought a Heritage Military model (I think that's what it's called, they have many sub variants that are fancier) this is of course all subjective/personal opinion and all that, but I felt it had serious presence and to echo WatchMedic, he plunked down about $400 for it new with bracelet. ETA 2824-2 movement, Swiss made, sapphire, AR coating etc. and a real looker.

this thing -

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
Having just listened to Tattoo Chef's review on youtube, then reading further, I see the brand is suspect. I do not back away from the watch having the "it" factor, it is what it is; but for now, I will wait. Nonetheless, the watch just has it for me. Glad I asked. Thanks for trying to alert me, WatchMedic!

I agree with you, AT, it's got that presence. Maybe I will end up with one eventually, but for now, I am holding on. Either way, a Tudor Heritage Black Bay is on my list first.

Well it's great you found out more after doing some research Rob. :thumb:
Now you are freed up to look at more brands that just might have
that "it" factor for you.

It could be the always impressive Christopher Ward, or other cool
company you maybe still haven't considered. In any case, it's very
exciting thinking about what could be on the horizon now for you. :rockon:

Keep us posted on things sir !

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Before I went with a Ginault which has the questionable pedigree, I would pop a few hundred more on a Monta Sea King.

I have a Monta Triumph and the watches fit and finish is actually better than a Rolex and don't look like a clone. The movement inside is also a top Grade Selitta 300 (a 2892-a2 clone) regulated to CSOC specs.

This is the watch to buy for an affordable Rolex Sub alternative.

Monta-OceanKing-Dive-Watch-Eterna-Calibre-2 by Charles Ford, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been thinking about it. I love the watch face, but importantly, the blue bezel play off the black dial and Patinated look of the lume. I love the black bay 58 for the same reason. I am now sitting on an offer for this watch, but think I am going to stop trying to find a cheaper alternative and go for the black bay sooner then I had thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts