Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering about how others felt regarding watches that mimic other watch designs. For myself I don't think I have a problem with them as long as they are independantly branded and not competing at a similar price point.

I don't believe homage watches cause lost sales or market confusion and give those of us who don't have 6 figure salaries the ability to own reasonably priced, nicely designed watches that don't cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

·
Long Time Member
3,086 Posts
I was just wondering about how others felt regarding watches that mimic other watch designs. For myself I don't think I have a problem with them as long as they are independantly branded and not competing at a similar price point.

I don't believe homage watches cause lost sales or market confusion and give those of us who don't have 6 figure salaries the ability to own reasonably priced, nicely designed watches that don't cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
They must have their own brand, otherwise it would be a fake, or replica. We do not discuss replicas/knockoffs here at WF. Check forum rules. There are plenty of styles out there...you don't need to buy a watch that looks "just like" another watch.
You also don't need to make 6 figures to own an original. Many think homage = replica.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I like them and have at least one. As said above, if they are not replica/fakes, what's wrong with that.

·
8,164 Posts
I'm biassed and a hypocrite :D I despise the zillions of cheap Sub knock-offs because the are the easy, very easy way to go. By labelling them 'homage', producers of blatant fakes can now sell the same watches (bar the Rolex logos) legally. Well, that was my angry voice speaking :D And the hypocrite speaking. Why? Because I cherish my Helson Turtle like there was no other and that is a spittin' image of the Certina DS-2 Super PH1000m. Very well executed. But I justify that for myself by arguing that no one knows what a Certina DS-2 Super PH1000m is. That was the bias.

Reactions: #four and Roarry

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
No issues with homage watches.

Most of them are not identical to the original. Some things are usually changed. Minor things that are Suttle. May it be a 42mm case over a 40mm.

So long as the watch is branded differently and has differences no issues.

I own a homage but that also may mean I am bias.

·
Premium Member
19,352 Posts
I'm definitely okay with homages. But I have noticed myself it depends on the brand.
Maranez does homages, but they are not direct copies. Same with Gruppo Gamma. Borealis/Prometheus the same. Steinhart etc.

For some reason, brands like Tissel as an example rub me the wrong way. I know some members here have them, but to me they are like the Parnis Watches, shameless copies. The Tissel Sub has the same size, dial, case back and bracelet to a Rolex. It just looks like a replica but with a different brand name.

I think at times it also depends on the brands reputation. Of the brands I listed above they have been around a few years and proven to make a quality watch at a decent price and have good customer service as well. When I see some of these new brands pop up out of Hong Kong and do a sub or Panny "homage" , it just says trying to make a quick buck to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Long Time Member
8,349 Posts
If you like the style of a watch, but not the $10,000 price tag.
And as long as you don't try to pass it off as something it's not.
I have no problems with them.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
6,387 Posts
Someone might be able to get a Rolex homage for 200$ but it won't have Rolex written on it and it won't have the same quality. ;)
Of course it wouldn't be the same quality, but then I have a Rolex 16610 and a Tisell Kermit, and the Kermit actually has a nicer bracelet then the 16610's hollow link one, but the Rolex has a better movement, reputation, and resale.

But then if you went to buy a new ceramic sub you are paying an additional $7,500 so it better be higher quality, and it is.

The Tisell with the ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal, and Miyota 9015 movement is no slouch for a beater, no slouch at all.

I have had my 16610 for almost 20 years now and I think I received maybe 5-6 comments on it, mostly questions if it is real or not, one person asked me if it was an Invicta.

Nobody notices your watches anyways, outside if you are wearing some kind of a bold strap, then you may get a comment.

I did recently have a buddy who has a Rolex datejust comment on my Tisell, stating he wished he had gotten my model (he thought it was a Rolex Sub) instead of the Datejust, I then took off my watch and handed it to him and explained it was a Korean made sub that costs $185. he carefully looked at it and was flabbergasted.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
6,387 Posts
"For some reason, brands like Tissel as an example rub me the wrong way. I know some members here have them, but to me they are like the Parnis Watches, shameless copies. The Tissel Sub has the same size, dial, case back and bracelet to a Rolex. It just looks like a replica but with a different brand name.

I have seen quite a few homage, even illegal counterfeit knockoffs that have the Rolex name on the dial, and most of them are crap, The Tisell is a horse of a different stripe, it actually is made very well, with a nice movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic dial, and a decent bracelet.

Since Rolex's patent on there Sub design is long since past, I see no reason why someone who can't afford the $7,500 price tag of a real Rolex Ceramic Sub can't enjoy a close copy, as long as they aren't trying to pass the thing off as a real Rolex?

I guess you are right though, it is a replica with a different brand name, a very well made replica. Makes you wonder if Tisell can produce as great a replica for $185, what the mark up must be on the real thing???

Funny though, the Asian replica models seem to get ripped on a lot more then the European manufacturers like Steinhart, Davosa, and Squale. Squale is almost a direct copy of the Sub, case size, case back, etc, etc.??

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
6,387 Posts
Depends, if a design no longer in production, cool. If still in production, theft of someone elses design.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
It's not a theft if the patents and the copyrights have ran out, otherwise we would never have generic drugs.

·
Premium Member
19,352 Posts
I guess you are right though, it is a replica with a different brand name, a very well made replica. Makes you wonder if Tisell can produce as great a replica for $185, what the mark up must be on the real thing???

Funny though, the Asian replica models seem to get ripped on a lot more then the European manufacturers like Steinhart, Davosa, and Squale. Squale is almost a direct copy of the Sub, case size, case back, etc, etc.??

You missed my point. I'm ok with many homages. The Tissel looks identical to a Rolex..the case back and bracelet and clasp included. At least Squale and Steinhart have different case backs and bracelets. I just don't like how close the Tissel is...my preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,394 Posts
The subject has been covered many times in many forums, however in my opinion it is not just one way or the other. Fact is that there are many watch companies past and present, that used different design from other companies. Who knows who started what copy...

Personally I don't have a like or dislike for these, and yes there are many different models and degrees of copy, similarities, differences, etc. but I could not give blanket approval or disapproval. Fact is that some are well made and worth having, some other ones are cheap crap I would not think twice to throw in the garbage.

As for buying the original or not, well some of these are so rare and it is impossible to find an original or some are so expensive that one would have to sell his house to buy one... so that isn't really a solution.

I have had several homages of different watches and brands, but ended up selling them all, not because they were homages but because they fulfilled their purpose, I was happy with them and then decided to go onto other looks.

At this time, although I like many of these homages, I am not interested in having one or more, at least not in particular. I actually find it more fun to take affordable watches and then do some tweaks on them to customize them and make them more my own, my own design and style, keeping the workability of the basic watch of course.

This seems to be my answer, and as I write this, I realized that 99% of my watches are in fact customized one way or another, even if in a very small part...

The only things that I disapprove of are:

Fakes sold as real.
Blatant copies that are replica but also low quality.
Copies that have prices out the roof.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.