Watch Freeks banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What a busy time I have had since lock down. Since March I have sold 26 watches, bought 22, and given one away. Some of the watches I have either worn just once, and even not at all. The trouble is that you think you have got to where you need to be, then you see something else. I sold a Bulova Precisionist and a Spinnaker Croft so I could buy a Helm Vanuatu. There were two hundred up for sale commencing 3pm UK time. I clicked on the Paypal link a few seconds after after 3pm and all had gone. This left me with gaps in my watch boxes and some money to spend. I was close to buying another Steinhart, it was just a little to much money, so had a dig around at watches I had been viewing over the last few months. The Geckota G-01 had caught my eye recently, so I checked it out on their website, and had a look for discount codes etc. This fits into my collection beautifully, and is now on the way. 300m water resistant, double domed sapphire with AR coating, NH35 movement, screw in crown, BGW-9 lume, 316L SS, and a genuine Ostrich leather strap. It's a 1950s style diver, and love it because of it's originality.

Super Moderator
Well it sounds like you've really been enjoying the adventure MW ! 馃
Not only have you been seeing your tastes changing, but you have
been seeing your watch box changing. 馃檪 It all sounds like such an
exciting time for you, and can only imagine how this latest addition
is in person. Because it looks like a million $ ! Even with the discount
codes !!! 馃槃

You're totally right, this marvel has a vintage style, but is not like
another watch really. Remarkable ! Another BIG congrats to you !!!
Keep on enjoying Mrs. Wiggles !

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

The watch arrived today, and within 24 hours, so well done Geckota and DPD. The packaging is very nice, and in line for a watch that costs 拢250 (I got it for 拢225 with a discount code). Aesthetically it's quite stunning, and very unlike most watches you will ever see, and as result I suspect it's a keeper, but I have said that before! If I had of designed it, I thing I would have brushed the majority of the case, as it looks like it could be a scratch magnet, but perhaps that would not be in keeping with the 1950's theme. The finishing and overall quality is almost faultless, and it feels like an excellent bit of horology in the hand. I wound the NH35 movement and put it on my Timegrapher, but unfortunately it was running +18 seconds a day. This is well within tolerance, so not a complaint. However, my personal tolerance is +/- 10 spd, so I felt it necessary to regulate it. The beat rate was 0.2 which is fine, so I just needed to slow it down a bit. NH35 movements have very tight adjustment arms, so it's quite fiddly. I now have it running at -9 spd, and that's fine with me. Take in mind, the longer I spend regulating it, the higher the possibility I put a micro screwdriver through the main spring. I then noticed some small blemishes on the dial, and was ready to email Geckota. After checking the pictures on line, I noticed the blemishes were in identical places, indicating they were part of the aged look. Thank heavens I didn't embarrass myself. Next the strap. It's a genuine Ostrich leather strap, and that sort of bothers me because I am a life long vegetarian. I have always worn leather shoes etc, and considered all forms of leather a bi-product, even though I realise it's tad hypocritical of me. Anyway, it looks amazing, and is very comfortable. So, overall am I happy? For the money paid it's fantastic, and I know if had a more familiar watch brand stamped on the dial it would possibly cost 4 times a much. If you you like the look of the watch, go treat yourself, you won't be disappointed !

Super Moderator
So happy it's a keeper Mrs. Wiggles ! 馃槈馃槑Looking at just these dials
alone is a joy, and seems worth that $225. Seriously am trying to think
of another dial that has this exact look to it, and can't think of it really.
Love that fading red, and style of the hands, together with those extra
long markers. Even the crosshairs add a whole new element that is
extremely cool. What's amazing, is that's just the dial ! 馃槃

That stunning polished case, work horse movement, and even strap
that made you have second thoughts for a second, are all exceptional !
So glad it got to you so quick MW. Enjoy, and BIG congrats here !!!

Registered
Geckota makes some great stuff, I bought my "Beads of Rice" bracelet from them.

Registered
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

The watch arrived today, and within 24 hours, so well done Geckota and DPD. The packaging is very nice, and in line for a watch that costs 拢250 (I got it for 拢225 with a discount code). Aesthetically it's quite stunning, and very unlike most watches you will ever see, and as result I suspect it's a keeper, but I have said that before! If I had of designed it, I thing I would have brushed the majority of the case, as it looks like it could be a scratch magnet, but perhaps that would not be in keeping with the 1950's theme. The finishing and overall quality is almost faultless, and it feels like an excellent bit of horology in the hand. I wound the NH35 movement and put it on my Timegrapher, but unfortunately it was running +18 seconds a day. This is well within tolerance, so not a complaint. However, my personal tolerance is +/- 10 spd, so I felt it necessary to regulate it. The beat rate was 0.2 which is fine, so I just needed to slow it down a bit. NH35 movements have very tight adjustment arms, so it's quite fiddly. I now have it running at -9 spd, and that's fine with me. Take in mind, the longer I spend regulating it, the higher the possibility I put a micro screwdriver through the main spring. I then noticed some small blemishes on the dial, and was ready to email Geckota. After checking the pictures on line, I noticed the blemishes were in identical places, indicating they were part of the aged look. Thank heavens I didn't embarrass myself. Next the strap. It's a genuine Ostrich leather strap, and that sort of bothers me because I am a life long vegetarian. I have always worn leather shoes etc, and considered all forms of leather a bi-product, even though I realise it's tad hypocritical of me. Anyway, it looks amazing, and is very comfortable. So, overall am I happy? For the money paid it's fantastic, and I know if had a more familiar watch brand stamped on the dial it would possibly cost 4 times a much. If you you like the look of the watch, go treat yourself, you won't be disappointed !

Give it some break-in time, most watches slow down after that.

Registered
That's a great looking watch, nice specs. 39 looks small to me, but that style might be just right at 39. There's a lot to like there. Congratulations.

Registered
I take that 39mm back, something on you tube said 39 but their site spec is 42. I couldn't choose dial color, they all look extremely nice.
Thank You for sharing yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts