Watch Freeks banner

French chicken with cream, cider and mustard sauce

737 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  28084 
#1 ·
Also known as "Poulet à la Briarde"... It is an excellent recipe, tried it on the weekend, served it with buttered rice and "une salade en entrée", followed by some lemon tarte.

It is not that hard to make. The trick is to have the right mustard, I highly recommend you use the Pommery whole grain mustard, it has a very unique taste (nothing at all like English or American mustard). At a pinch, the Maille whole grain could also work, but it does not have the same flavour profile...

#2 ·
Hector, this is so great delving into recipes like this ! 😀(y)(y)

You know, to tell the truth, some times it feels like we get into a
rut with what we always seem to be having. Add in the fact that
it is now the fall, and it really feels like that time of year where
you just want to change things up. (y) So this is just terrific !

A lot of times too we see these recipes online as well, but are
afraid to try them because we don't want to mess up the recipes,
or be disappointed either. So having someone actually recommend
a recipe that they tried is THE best ! ..Thank you so so much !!! 😉

#3 ·
I made a modified version of this this evening, it was fantastic.

Started with two chicken breasts (boneless/sinless), browned them in a pan for a few minutes each side and removed them, setting aside. Then poured the grease from the pan (as mentioned in the video), added some butter and a diced small shallot, sautéed that for a few minutes over medium heat, then added 50ml of cider and reduced it while scraping the "brown" from the bottom of the pan (not sure if you can get this type of cider in the US?), then added the rest of the cider (300ml) and then the chicken breasts back in to cook on medium for 15 mins, covered. Removed the chicken to a plate and into the oven at 80°C, then passed it all through a sieve to remove the "chunks", then put the sauce back into the pan and poured 20cl of cream and reduced it for a few minutes (until the spoon coating test as mentioned in the video). Then, turned off the heat and added 1.5 TBSP of the Pommery whole grain mustard and stirred. Remove the chicken breast from the oven, check it is cooked, poured any remaining juices into the pan, stirred and added the breasts to the pan, turning to coat. Served with rice (short grain, absorption method, pinch of salt, 1 tbsp of butter), and pour the sauce from the pan over each chicken breast.

This could easily do for 4 people (we are only two).

Serve with a dry french Cidre (Cider) or a nice rich wine from Burgundy, a Côtes de Rhone, or preferably a GSM (Grenache Syrah Mourvèdre) from the region (CNdP, Lirac etc).

Needless to say, it is rather rich, so have a nice salad "en entrée", a light citrus based dessert (tarte au citron) and keep the brandy on hand for after.

Please note, DO NOT use a non-stick pan for this (it defeats the purpose, you want the chicken to leave a slighlty burnt residue on the bottom of the pan)). A thick-bottomed stainless would work, or an enameled pot such as a La Creuset / Staub would be perfect. I may venture a Debuyer carbon steel pan would also work...

#4 ·
Hey neat Hector, I was actually wondering if this could be
made with chicken breasts like this actually ! 😀 And now
you have answered the question before I even asked it. 😊

Not only is it easier, but it sounds just as delicious from
here to tell the truth. 😉 Yowza, cannot thank you enough
for the recipe, or recipes rather. Along with your terrific
instructions, play by play, as well as all of your really cool
recommendations !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.