Watch Freeks banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Pour Homme by Escada

Used to be my favorite, but has been discontinued for some time. Can fetch hundreds of dollars if you can find it on eBay.

My new favorites:

Endymion by Penhaligon's

Great night-on-the-town scent that starts sweet with spice, musk and lavender notes, but settles down to a more powdery leather, musk scent that's sophisticated with a lingering lavender that is very nice and almost vintage smelling. My wife loves this one.

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood
by Dsquared2

Hits you in the face with cedar, spruce, spice and leather. Settles down to a smoky wood scent with moss on dry down. Not a sweet smell by any means and is very masculine and confident smelling. Wears off after about 4-6 hours though, so I usually only wear it in the evenings.

Vetiver by Guerlain

This is a classic scent that's been around since the 60's and is my everyday scent. Some say it isn't as good as versions from a decade ago, but I wouldn't know. Very citrusy with a nice, sweet vetiver scent with notes of vanilla and light spices. Mellows out to a clean and refreshing "green" smell of light citrus, sweet grass and leather. I don't know what it is about this one, but it almost is invigorating to wear and has long silage. It was evidently a popular scent for the Hollywood types back in the day, but to me it's a clean vintage scent that stands out from so many others that you can make a statement with it.

So what are your favorites??

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thought I’d throw out some more Men’s fragrances that are in my rotation as well:

Dunhill Edition by Alfred Dunhill
I consider this a gentlemen’s scent, because it smells like you would image you’d smell coming out of an upscale barbershop from a bygone era. It opens with a ton of citrus, lavender and spice like nutmeg, but as it drys down, you smell carnation, spice, geranium and vetiver. As it wears you also can pick up some cedar. A little on the sweeter side, it’s a more traditional scent and probably geared more towards someone with more mature tastes.

These next two are a couple of fragrances I stumbled across as I was reading about the Creed perfume house. Creed has been in existence in London since the mid 1700’s as a purveyor of perfumes to royalty. They probably didn’t get noticed by the general public as much outside of the UK until the last twenty years or so as they developed some really iconic fragrances, with probably the most buzz-worthy being Aventus. Aventus is almost legendary now and has hoisted Creed to a new level of recognition by a younger generation of men. I’ve smelled it in passing without really knowing what it was until recently. A 4 oz. bottle will set you back around $250 - $300 US, so it was a little too rich for my blood. I’ve lurked around a shaving forum (Badger and Blade) that had people arguing over which Aventus clone was the closest to the real deal. That sparked my interest. After a little investigation, I came across a fragrance that people on various forums said was close to the real deal and that many liked even better than the original. This would be:

Club de Nuit Intense for Men by Armaf
First off, the presentation of this fragrance is amazing. Mind you, this isn’t a direct knock-off of Aventus, but if you didn’t know that this wasn’t a Creed fragrance, you’d probably assume it was. It starts off with a lot of citrus, berry and floral notes, but as it drys, becomes incredibly complex with a hint of patchoili, wood, apple and a smoky pineapple smell. After a couple of hours, it becomes a lot more smoky with a citrus, pineapple scent. This is undoubtedly my favorite “classy” men’s fragrance and gets lots of compliments. Best yet, you can find it usually for $50 to $75. Even the packaging details are incredibly well executed. It’s also worth noting that the ingredients and manufacturing are sourced in France.

Derby Club House Blanche by Armaf
Again, this is supposed to be a clone of Creed’s Silver Mountain Water, which by the way I’ve never smelled, but none the less is incredibly well done for a fragrance. It starts off very fresh a “water” smell accompanied with citrus and wood. After drying it almost smelled like a very fragrant gin and tonic, but as it dried became a little more spicy with a refreshing smell like you were near the ocean. This, I think will become my summer daytime scent because it’s so clean and refreshing - plus it lasts a long time (Club de Nuit does too!). As mentioned before the packaging and presentation are top notch and retails for a fraction of CSMW and is sourced / manufactured in France.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Wow. Interesting post. I was just thinking about cologne on my walk to work this morning. I found an old classic from when I did a fraternity road trip to Ohio State.

Kenneth Cole reaction. Bringing back so any memories. Smells so good. Going to need another bottle.

I also wear

D&G Light blue
lacoste elegance
lactoste red

·
Premium Member
24,307 Posts
I wear this for evenings and special occasions and a variety of other things as daily wear

·
8,167 Posts
Aha! I went to High School in 1972 and after I finally entered the level I was supposed to (I will skip the explanation of our schooling system) there was one guy who wore Brut (by Fabergé) all the time. In 1974 that was a very, very expensive cologne for a 14 year old boy. Or 15 year old, I can't remember. I won't bore you with details but back then there were two flavours: a glass bottle with a metal Brut medallion on a chain and a plastic (low cost pauper version) bottle.

42 years later the brand still exists although it is now owned by Unilever. Never mind, I recently bought a bottle of the 'original' Brut cologne. (Not so, it is a re-edition). On eBay you can find vintage bottles, over 40 years old. But splashing on this cologne after all these years sure brings back memories. My significant other frowns on alls of this of course :D

The same revival is going on with Old Spice, complete with rave reviews and elevated asking prices for vintage bottles. The new wine :D

Edit: to go back to the question, I have (apart from the Brut): AQVA Marine by Bvlgari, Sandalwood by Dr. Harris, Uomo by Trussardi, Ideal l' Homme by Guerlain and Tommy by Hilfiger. The first two are rather 'heavy' and used least (and the Sandalwood must be used very sparingly), the Trussardi and Tommy are used the most.

Reactions: bapackerfan

·
8,167 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My fav is Drakkar Noir.

My teenage son steals it from me all the time whenever he goes into a mixed social situation.

He says "The ladies like it," so there you go!!!!

Some scents never go out of style. Neither do some watches haha.

It's a heavy scent if I recall. But delicious to say the least. I prefer it in winter over summer. I like the lighter sweeter scents for summer.

·
8,167 Posts
But my daily cologne is this, very fragrant :D

·
8,167 Posts
On the subject of being off topic I must apologize. It is tolerated but I'm one of the big instigators of veering off topic and that is just bad form. It's also a bit disrespectful towards the OP. I'll try to contain myself.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
6,387 Posts
Royal Copenhagen, Cool Water and Acqua di Pariss by Milano are my favorites.

Of course at 71 years of age, I don't want too many women stirred up by these fumes, it may make me wake up "Lil Winky" from his nap to go to work.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
6,387 Posts
Wishful thinking Chazman!
LOL, you're right, at my age all the effort you have to put into those endeavors isn't fun anymore, it's just work!

Besides it is liberating to be free of the spell women can put over you by the promise of their golden monkey. Kind of takes the wind out of their sails that way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts