Watch Freeks banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

"I am certainly not an advocate for frequent and untried changes in laws and constitutions. I think moderate imperfections had better be borne with; because, when once known, we accommodate ourselves to them, and find practical means of correcting their ill effects. But I know also, that laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths disclosed, and manners and opinions change with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also, and keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy, as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors." -Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
673 Posts
imported post

Happy New Year to you and yours.

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
-Carl Sagan

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

This is such a deeply felt teaching for me - i ponder upon it everyday - everybody have a safe and wonderful weekend!!

There is only one teacher. What is that teacher? Life itself. And of course each one of us is a manifestation of life ; we couldn't be anything else. Now life happens to be both a severe and an endlessly kind teacher. its the only authority that you need to trust.

And this teacher, this authority, is everywhere. You dont have to go to some special place to find this incompatible teacher, you dont have to have some especially quiet or ideal situation: in fact, the messier it is, the better. The average office is a great place. The average home is perfect. Such places are pretty messy most of the time- we all know from firsthand experience! That is where the authority, the teacher is.

- Charlotte Joko Beck, Everyday Zen

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
This is such a deeply felt teaching for me - i ponder upon it everyday - everybody have a safe and wonderful weekend!!

There is only one teacher. What is that teacher? Life itself. And of course each one of us is a manifestation of life ; we couldn't be anything else. Now life happens to be both a severe and an endlessly kind teacher. its the only authority that you need to trust.

And this teacher, this authority, is everywhere. You dont have to go to some special place to find this incompatible teacher, you dont have to have some especially quiet or ideal situation: in fact, the messier it is, the better. The average office is a great place. The average home is perfect. Such places are pretty messy most of the time- we all know from firsthand experience! That is where the authority, the teacher is.

- Charlotte Joko Beck, Everyday Zen

i have a Master's Degree from the College of Hard Knocks:eek:

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

-Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

WERD UP BROTHA!!!

four20 wrote:
"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

-Thomas Jefferson

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

four20 wrote:

-Thomas Jefferson

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
spent a long lunch in Rye Harbor, NH today and captured a few decent shots of one of the resident snowy owls. this gal didn't give a crap about me and i was less than 10 ft away. she was just chillin' on the rocks at Ragged Neck Point (https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0017391,-70.7465279,16z?hl=en)

such a beautiful bird

gear: Canon EOS 60D w/battery grip and 70-200mm f/4L IS

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Great pictures!

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Very nice pictures. Keep shooting. That is the kind of shooting I like!

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
Very nice pictures. Keep shooting. That is the kind of shooting I like!
LOL virtually everyone in my family shoots Glocks (Virginians.. whatta ya gonna do? ;)), i shoot with a Cannon

my favorite t-shirt when i was a kid had a Vibram "Montagne Block" sole print on it and said- "take only photographs, leave only footprints" :cool:

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
i don't usually post pix of my kids online, but i'm just ecstatic over a few of these shots

we took the kids up to North Conway, NH on saturday to a "Day Out With Thomas" on the Conway Scenic Railway. there's all kinds of kid-friendly things to do around the railyard and they had a ball. the train ride is fairly short (25 mins) but i think just right for small kids. the Thomas engine travels around the country, so if you're interested, hit the link above and see when it's coming around to your neck of the woods

we got to also ride in an old service vehicle for a short distance and the driver took a family photo for us-

i think i need to get a gym membership... :frusty:

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
Saw Taj Mahal last nite in Portsmouth, NH. There is a beautiful waterfront park with a stage set up for the summer. $10 donation was a no-brainer. He's still got it :thumb:

Wears a G Shock, BTW

141 - 160 of 162 Posts