Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Active

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

why, thank you James, Jeff and Bob!

welcome to the rant-house! i'll spout off about all kinds of isht that irritates me (except political stuff), inspires me and a quite often i'll go thru and find a photograph from my archives and give a little background info on it.

to kick things off, i was going thru some of my shots of the airshow here in Portsmouth, NH 3 years ago. in a couple weeks, there's going to be another one and the Blue Angels will be performing in the area for the first time in over 20 yrs.. i will also be photographing* a wedding that weekend, so needless to say i've been spending the day trying to decide on the 2 pro lenses i'll be renting for the weekend. i think i've settled on the Canon 24-70mm f/4L and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ("IS" for Image Stabilization). both are very sharp lenses that produce amazing results when used for portraiture. both will serve me well when i go to the airshow, too :)

{please keep in mind- some of the photographs you are about to see contain graphic images :lol. i am not singling out any one political viewpoint, only showing pictures taken as a presspass-carrying member of the media..}

a shot of the Navy/Marine Heratage flyby from the show yrs ago. this was shot with an inexpensive Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO lens. i wave several watches that "cost" more than this lens :lol
[/url]
flyby by erik.swenson, on Flickr[/img]

i have never used the 24-70mm f/4L, but i have rented the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS on a number of occasions and was graciously loaned one on short-term notice by a friend who affectionately refers to it as "the religious experience." yeah, for Canon photographers, THIS lens is our grail. i've used it to photograph presidents, musicians, and my daughter with jaw-dropping results (IMHO :)). here's a few examples-
former President William Jefferson Clinton at a rally 2 days before the elections in 2008 in support of Jeanne Shaheen, NH's 1st woman Senator. i covered this rally for NHPR.org
[/url]
Untitled by erik.swenson, on Flickr[/img]

2 days later, on election night, i, again for NHPR.org, covered NH Gov. John Lynch's election night victory party in Manchester, NH-
[/url]
Gov. John Lynch by erik.swenson, on Flickr[/img]

Gov. Lynch won by a landslide and the patry shut down pretty quickly. i then moved to the other side of Manchester to help cover Sen.-elect Jeanne Shaheen's victory party-
[/url]
victory by erik.swenson, on Flickr[/img]

less than a week later, i'm sitting in the 4th row at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston seeing Bobby Weir and RatDog perform (these were all with the same lens rental :l)-
(B&W done in post-processing)
[/url]
Bob Weir by erik.swenson, on Flickr[/img]

straight up stage lighting. shot during "Masters of War" by Bob Dylan-
[/url]
Bob Weir by erik.swenson, on Flickr[/img]

and i must post some shots from the borrowed "religious experience"-

POTUS' visit to Portsmouth, NH last summer for a "town hall meeting" on health care reform. this was a big thrill for me. i took the day off from my day job to cover this. i'll post some shots from outside in a later post-
[/url]
IMG_0494OBAMA by erik.swenson, on Flickr

IMG_0516obama by erik.swenson, on Flickr

IMG_1099obama_girl by erik.swenson, on Flickr

thanks for letting me share these images. they are some of my favorites with this lens.

my daughter is in need of going to bed :b a new set of images from the archives tomorrow :)

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

WOW you take some great pictures my friend. Those are really good shots.

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

thank you James! i first started using an SLR in 1982 when my father and i took mom's Pentax ME Super with us up Mt Katahdin - the northern-most point of the Appalachian Trail. little did i know at the time that i'd be (a) this deep into photography or (b) living in Maine at this stage of my life :)

my parents still have a shot i took of my father on "the Knife Edge" of Katahdin from that first roll hanging in their house. it's blown up 16x20 and my father is still less than in inch tall in it!

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

VERY, VERY nice photographs. I wish I had an eye like that. I look forward to seeing more.

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

thank you, gentlemen! photojournalism is something i thought i'd get into when i was in HS, but i decided i liked partying more than studying in college :eek:. if i could do it and (a) still pay the mortgage and (b) be home to see my kids every night, i'd be making the career change. it's a tough business to break into and tougher in a tight economy :(

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

four20 wrote:
...i will also be photographing*...
*explanation- last year i was blessed with tickets on the Capitol grounds for the inauguration of our first African-American president (please, let's be civil. this was history in the making). my mother is a fairly well connected member of the GOP in VA (ok, she was 10th district chair). without my asking, called in a big favor the day before tix were distributed to House and Senate members with the Chief of Staff of Congressman Frank Wolf for me.

so, there's the back story, now on to the reason why i have been trying for well over a year to stop myself from saying "shooting" to "photographing"

on MLK Day (day before the inauguration), i'm standing on a Metro platform (Dunn Loring to be exact) with a fellow photog. we're alone except fo rthis one guy who strikes up a conversation about photography (we're carrying gear w/us). turns out he's an AP photographer. long story short- after correcting me with "photograph" every time i say "shoot" he reminds me that "people are always listening". you say "shoot the inauguration" or "shoot the president", you may find yourself in a little trouble with, umm, i dunno, SS or NSA :eek:

[/story]

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

Spectacular photographs with great clarity. I did not need to see Rosie O'Donnell (2nd pic w/ el presidente).

I might have a deal for you, I have some Nikon lenses if they're compatible with your Canon if your interested.

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

i don't think that was Rosie, Jeff :lol

thanks for the offer. Nikon mounts are very different. if you want to sell them, i'd throw them up in eekBay

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
imported post

I am defiantly going to ask for some pointers when I start my photography class in September. :c

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

arnie11 wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
WOW you take some great pictures my friend. Those are really good shots.
You should see the one he did as my screen saver on the laptop he sent me!! On the coast of Maine!! Magnificant!! Show'em Bro!!!
twist my arm, Arnie :lol

although, i have to correct you- this is Lewis Bay, Cape Cod, MA. this is the beach where we bring the kids when we're at my sister-in-law's beach house in Yarmouth, MA. the water is very calm and when it's sunny, like bathwater.

in this shot i used a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX lens set at 14mm, f/13- which is pretty stopped down for this lens (sweet spot is at f/8). i was going for the stars you see on the lights in the background, and this can be achieved with the aperture leaves (no star filter needed). the moon was full (thus the flare at the top) and in front of me. the side of the rock you see in this was in "moon shadow", if you will, and i used an LED flashlight to "paint" the rock with light. the exposure for this was 3 mins. 46 secs. (i wasn't fast enough on the remote to stop at 45secs :)) you'll notice that the water appears "smoky" or "foggy". this was caused by small waves from the Hy-Line ferries doing the Hyannis/Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard runs and the tide rapidly coming in.

IMG_1993 by erik.swenson, on Flickr

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

Sweet!

You ever head this way again, you better bring your camera and rented lenses. Subject - Red Rocks of Sedona, and my neighborhood.

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

i'll get back out there one day, Jeff. my dad's cousin visits his daughter in the Boston area and we try to get down to see them when they're in town. we keep getting "you know, you're welcome anytime you want to come out..." speech. they live right under Coffee Pot Rock.

thank you Den!

a bit of news for me today- i ordered a Westcott Apollo softbox kit from B&H today. should be in later this week. i've been wanting one of these for about a yr now. now i have a real excuse to ditch the crappy satin white umbrella i've been using..

i also placed a reservation for two lenses- the Canon 24-70mm f/4L and the 70-200mm f/2.8L (no Image Stabilized copies available that weekend :( ). things are shaping up for a fine weekend of photographing warbirds and brides :lol

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

sooo, this saturday my wife and i are taking our 4yo daughter to the Red Sox game. last game just the two of us went as we were celebrating our anniversary. it was very difficult, but i didn't take any photo gear with me. i had the shakes for most of the game :lol

this weekend will be different- we only have 2 tix and will p/u a 3rd for standing room only. she'll be sitting on our laps and i will get a chance to wander off for an inning or two.

here's some stuff from previous games:

Sox-Braves interleague play on Father's Day last yr (got to walk the warning track after the game! got a 35mm film canister full of dirt :b). Catcher George Kottaras doing speed drills in the bullpen before the game.

IMG_1376kottaras by erik.swenson, on Flickr

pitcher Tim Wakefield entering the bullpen to warm up-

IMG_1363wake by erik.swenson, on Flickr

Josh Beckett delivering the ball vs. the Yankees 4/12/08-

beckett by erik.swenson, on Flickr

Dustin Pedroia takes a called strike (note the ball coming over the plate)

called strike by erik.swenson, on Flickr

Big Papi diggin' in-

digging in by erik.swenson, on Flickr

waiting out the rain delay-

15 by erik.swenson, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 162 Posts