Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For a moment forget that the forums are a great social and educational place and think about this...Does the forum make you want to buy more watches and why? I present to you that the psychological aspect of participating in a forum makes you want to buy more watches. You see others get shiny new things and you want to participate. You see all the new toys that are out there with enticing prices and numerous value pays, all designed to make you feel better about parting with your money. How can you resist? You're only human after all. You know you want a new watch, you need a new watch. Forget Christmas gifts for our family and friends or a possible divorce. You can hide the watch at work and slide it into the rotation later. Get it, buy it, NOW. Let me know if you agree or disagree that participating in a forum contributes to your urge to buy. I'd like to hear your point of view.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

No it does not make me want to buy at all actually, I buy what I want when I want. At this point nothing out there is floating my boat, so I am more focused on the race car at this time then buying watches.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

well of course I agree with you. We all come to forums like this one to interact with other watch lovers. That in turn means SEEING and learning about a ton of other watches and brands you might not have known about. that leads to .... buying, LOL.

Many of us spend a lot of time each day looking at watches on the net - Internet Window Shopping I have always called it. A forum just makes that even easier with people posting their new watches and watching in their collections. The more you see, the more you.... WANT!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

I agree. I think participating in a forum really opens your eyes to so much more variety that it's only inevitable that you get more "stuff".

Instead of only being aware of only a few "popular" brands and the tunnelvision that accompanies it you see things that other people have that you never knew existed.

I see things here and other places that really have expanded my horizons.

It does become addicting and can drain your wallet.

But, with a little self control, it can be an enjoyable hobby.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

For me there is no question that being on forums makes me want to buy more watches! The only thing that keeps me from doing that is MY WIFE!! She makes sure I don't go out and start buying more watches. That's probably a real good thing too!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Did someone say shiny new watch??? Where? I want one, sign me up....:%:%:%

Actually, I see what you're saying and would agree that the environment (forum) more than likely causes more "reaction" than if you were not on one. For me the problem (I say problem but mean really good thing) is the information and exposure of various items that gets me "Freeked".

CJ

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

I of course can only speak about my self, having not researched the possibilities but I see where you are coming from.

No, I was a buyer before I joined any of the forums and I don't usually fall into the "Mob Mentality" no offense intended.

I can fully understand where you would get the idea from, people in a group tend to follow each other's lead, mob mentality is what thepsychologicaleffect is commonly called.

I enjoy seeing what other's get and post, and there is definitely some envy there in some cases as well, but it does not force me to buy. Perhaps if I were gainfully employed and had extra cash to spend,I wouldhave a quite different answer.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I have a degree in Psychology and I can tell you that watch forums entice you to buy watches just as much as a car forum entices you to buy cars. If your a member of both forums stand back Ha Ha LOL!!

I agree with the aforementioned posts that suggest a forum such as WF's is a place where we share our passion together and buy together. I think every new collector goes through a stage of impulsive buying and these forums certainly allow enabling to take place.

I have reached a point in my watch collecting passion that I only buy what appeals to me and before I buy I do my research by talking to other members. Sure we get out of control at times, but the way I view it I would rather spend my money on something that brings me happiness and is healthy then to spend it on something that is short lived and only provides a quick moment of happiness.

I spend about 30 minutes a day just winding my watches and shining them up to par. I look forward to wearing a different watch every day of the week.

I have been collecting for about 20 years now and I can honestly say that this is a fun hobby. There is so much out there to learn about horology that it is just fascinating. Watch forums are about the only place you will go where people will understand your love of watches. My co-workers think I'm out of my goard with some of the watches that I own and they think I'm even more nuts when I tell them how many I own and what I payed for some of them.

The way I look at it this is a clique where we can share our passion and not be made fun of. I don't mean that in a nerdy kinda way. How many of you hear your friends and family members say "Why do you need more then one watch?" or "I just use my cell phone to tell time"? I hear this all the time. That is why I come here.

I picked up a watch today and I was able to come here and share it with people I know will find an appreciation in it. Now when I show people at work tomorrow their first question will be "How much did you waste on that".

Anyhow I'm rambling now, but hopefully others can relate with what I'm saying. If I gave this speech to my co-workers I would never hear the end of it Ha Ha LOL!! Maybe I won't here either Ha Ha LOL!!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Hi Spaceview, I think being here opens me up to what is out there. I see folks buy watches that I like. I definetly have my favorites. I would rather pass up a great deal on a timepiece which is enticing that momentbut is not what I am looking for. I would rather wait for a sale on something that I like, an Eco Drive perpetual calender timepiece, a limited edition or a hand made timepiece for example. You mentioned "shining new things", "value pays", "how canyou resist" and "your only human after all". We all have priorities and buy what we can afford. Being a member here at WatchFreeks , I have made friends, learned about caring for watches, learned about different manufacturers of watches, learned about deals and sales for watches, learned about movements and get to see great timepieces, etc etc. Also, there are many non watch related things to do here which I enjoy. This is a fun place to spend time, learn and have fun! Every thing in life requires discipline especially my hobby of collecting timepieces. Seeing sales, great prices and value pays are very enticing but I try to wait untill I see a deal I like, on something I want to put in my collection and wear. ....Bob

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Very well thought out and articulated WG, thanks....good read.

CJ

Watchguru58 wrote:
I have a degree in Psychology and I can tell you that watch forums entice you to buy watches just as much as a car forum entices you to buy cars. If your a member of both forums stand back Ha Ha LOL!!

I agree with the aforementioned posts that suggest a forum such as WF's is a place where we share our passion together and buy together. I think every new collector goes through a stage of impulsive buying and these forums certainly allow enabling to take place.

I have reached a point in my watch collecting passion that I only buy what appeals to me and before I buy I do my research by talking to other members. Sure we get out of control at times, but the way I view it I would rather spend my money on something that brings me happiness and is healthy then to spend it on something that is short lived and only provides a quick moment of happiness.

I spend about 30 minutes a day just winding my watches and shining them up to par. I look forward to wearing a different watch every day of the week.

I have been collecting for about 20 years now and I can honestly say that this is a fun hobby. There is so much out there to learn about horology that it is just fascinating. Watch forums are about the only place you will go where people will understand your love of watches. My co-workers think I'm out of my goard with some of the watches that I own and they think I'm even more nuts when I tell them how many I own and what I payed for some of them.

The way I look at it this is a clique where we can share our passion and not be made fun of. I don't mean that in a nerdy kinda way. How many of you hear your friends and family members say "Why do you need more then one watch?" or "I just use my cell phone to tell time"? I hear this all the time. That is why I come here.

I picked up a watch today and I was able to come here and share it with people I know will find an appreciation in it. Now when I show people at work tomorrow their first question will be "How much did you waste on that".

Anyhow I'm rambling now, but hopefully others can relate with what I'm saying. If I gave this speech to my co-workers I would never hear the end of it Ha Ha LOL!! Maybe I won't here either Ha Ha LOL!!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Similar to yourself, I had a flourishing psychotherapy practice before my cancer diagnosis in 2006.

It is always amazing to watch event unfold online.

I see quite a bit of social pressures to buy watches. If it isn't thread after thread of "in your face" photograph and reviews . . . I read comments explaining why people are in the "NBZ", as if they need to explain why they aren't on "the bandwagon" in purchasing "the latest, greatest" offering.

I have to admit that by my participation in watch sites, they do have an impact on my buying choices. I like to stick to my guns and report that "I only buy what I like". However, if that were true . . . I probably wouldn't have bought several pieces that I now own (or had to sell because I don't wear them).

I like to be adventurous, buying different brands and models. To me, this is the only way that I can find out if there's something out there that I might enjoy. It's during this quest that I might buy something that I wouldn't normally do. I typically don't buy watches because they have a "pretty case" or a pretty dial". It's about the movement (coupled with an appealing watch case/dial design). With this criteria, I am often excluded from the "next best thing", because they have "unappealing" movements in them. I guess this comes from being a "car guy". I can't see myself buying a car if I don't like what's under the hood. I might be a "snob", but I'm consistent, and stick to my beliefs. :)

I have taken "breaks" from watch sites over the years (mostly for medical reasons), and I find that as I "get away" from watch forums, I probably buy less timepieces for myself, and buy more for my hobby of refurbishing and restoring timepieces. :)

Watchguru58 wrote:

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

I would agree, seeing people posting their new puchases, makes me a little envious also, aand at times I think to myself i gotta have that watch, I need a new watch, but then my wife pulls me down from the clouds and gives me a reality slap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
imported post

I think visiting watch forums definitely contributes to my watch buying habit. A lot of times certain watches look a lot better in "real life" pictures than pictures you see on watch company websites. Also, there are some watches that are "icons" that I might not have bought otherwise but wanted to see what the fuss is about. The Seiko Monster comes to mind. Discuss or reading other people's discussions on certain watches also can contribute to the desire to buy a certain watch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts