Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little handheld green laser project I'm working on, at the heart of it is the NDG7475 520nm 1.4 Watt Green Laser Diode which is currently the highest power 520nm green laser diode you can buy, 1.4 watts is a hell of a lot of green!

Super Moderator
I'm pretending I know what your talking about Steve. 馃槃

So what your saying is this is like Darth Vader's lightsaber, but with
Luke's green blade? 馃馃槑 Just kidding honestly. Looks really cool,
and sounds like it will be unbelievable when it's finished ! Must be
insanely fun to do, or just know how to do honestly. Holy cow, thank
you for sharing this with us, and good luck !!!

Or...May The Force Be With You ! 馃榾

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The beam in the night sky is unreal! It seems to go up insanely high and then just stop but that is just an illusion, BUT of course, it's a beam of coherent LIGHT and it does go on forever while it slowly diverges unless something gets in its way...

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Awww heck I changed my mind, I'm saving the green diode for something else and I'm going for the Big Boy, Mac Daddy, THE MONSTER!!!

The NUBM44-V2 450nm Blue Laser Diode! It's currently the most powerful known visible wavelength diode at a whopping 8 Watts at 5 Amps output!!! This is one hella dangerous laser diode, one mistake and you're permanently blind or have a 3rd degree burn! High-quality laser safety goggles are a must when working with one of these!

Super Moderator
Wow, that is something Steve ! 馃槷馃槑 I was wondering if these could
actually burn things at all, and it looks like I have an answer. 馃槻 Be
careful there, and have fun. ..Oh, and keep us posted if you can too !

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that is something Steve ! 馃槷馃槑 I was wondering if these could
actually burn things at all, and it looks like I have an answer. 馃槻 Be
careful there, and have fun. ..Oh, and keep us posted if you can too !
This laser can make Las Vegas street asphalt immediately burst into flames, the beam comes to a very small point so it's a very small flame erupting from the street but still, it's asphalt that takes 114 degree Vegas days and laughs at it!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
My NUBM44-V2 450nm 8w Blue Laser is done, And man did it turn out great!

The lens alinement is the best I've done! I say that because this thing has 5 lenses that all have to line up so the better they all line up the better and cleaner the beam and the more power out of the laser and also the tighter the beam at a distance with the smallest spot size!

The 5 lenses are to correct the beam shape coming out of the diode with the first being a collimating lens, a pair of cylinder lenses, and a 3X beam expander which has 2 lenses...

The cylinder lens pair holder tube and 3X beam expander on the end...

Looking down the barrel of the gun!

I had to "notch" the host so my aviation safety switch could open all the way!

Here's a video of me testing it on a small paintbrush handle...

Besides flaming the paintbrush handle it really cut some holes into it!

I melted a few dead lighters...

and it did these holes in that leaf in 2 seconds each at 15 feet...

The laser can come off the stand very easily!

It really turned out great!

Super Moderator
This laser can make Las Vegas street asphalt immediately burst into flames, the beam comes to a very small point so it's a very small flame erupting from the street but still, it's asphalt that takes 114 degree Vegas days and laughs at it!
Just is extraordinary Steve, and just the look of it when it鈥檚 not
emitting the laser is outstanding ! 馃槷 Or out of this world !!! :alien:
Once again reminds me of a lightsaber, or even something that
could, or might have been reverse engineered from a downed
UFO. 馃槻 Holy cow, great job, and cool videos, along with pics
by the way !

Thanks again !!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I just about have the new much smaller host done for the NDG7475 520nm 1.4 Watt Green Laser Diode, Just waiting on some 26 gauge wire to finish and check for first light!

Registered
A nice toy that could end up with you going to jail if you start pointing at people or shining it into the sky while planes are passing over!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A nice toy that could end up with you going to jail if you start pointing at people or shining it into the sky while planes are passing over!
It's no toy!

And I don't treat it as such, It's the world's most powerful single diode laser that can be focused to a needle! It can permanently blind someone faster than you can blink at over 100 feet!

Is pointing at people or shining it into the sky while planes are passing over the first thing that you think of doing when you see something like this???

I guess some people just shouldn't know how to build something like this, the wrong hands and all that...

Registered
It's no toy!

And I don't treat it as such, It's the world's most powerful single diode laser that can be focused to a needle! It can permanently blind someone faster than you can blink at over 100 feet!

Is pointing at people or shining it into the sky while planes are passing over the first thing that you think of doing when you see something like this???

I guess some people just shouldn't know how to build something like this, the wrong hands and all that...
First I think of is the permanently blinded U.S. Marshalls in Portland and how having one of these things may get a knock on your door from the Feds!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
First I think of is the permanently blinded U.S. Marshalls in Portland and how having one of these things may get a knock on your door from the Feds!
Still think it's a toy? tell that to the US Marshalls in portland! I'd bet the laser used was a faction of the power this has because mine can burn wood at 100 feet or more!

They will never be knocking on MY front door, I've had lasers like this for years!

Like I said some people shouldn't know how to build something as dangerous as something like this......

PS it does look awesome in the night sky!!! It looks like a "lightsaber" that goes to the clouds!

It's been proven that a laser like this can be seen on the surface from the international space station that stands out even in a densely lit city! I could send them morse code from the ground!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'll have first light from my new NDG7475 520nm 1.4 Watt Green Laser tonight!

It's the world's most powerful 520nm green laser diode!

For now...

Registered
What practical application does this have beyond starting fires and burning holes into objects? And of course sending messages to space stations.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What practical application does this have beyond starting fires and burning holes into objects? And of course sending messages to space stations.
Lasers or just this particular laser?

And does everything require a practical application or it shouldn't exist?

PS the space station could send a message back if they had one as well... lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
The new NDG7475 520nm 1.4 Watt Green Laser works!!! I'm cleaning a collimating lens for it right now, it has to be spotless with this much power passing through it, any speck of dust or contamination on the lens will create an intense hot spot that would crack the lens!

Registered
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The world's most powerful handheld single diode green laser and the world's most powerful handheld single diode blue laser!

So compact!!!

They wouldn't be possible without Li-Ion battery tech!

Registered
Blinding Police Officers and blinding Pilots so they can crash their planes!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts