Watch Freeks banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Watch Freek
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So back in 2005 while I was waiting for a flight at LAX and I purchased the 2005 Wristwatch Annual. I still have this magazine today and once in a while I browse through the pages to see how things have changed. Back in the day you could go to any Rolex AD and purchase a Submariner, Explorer or GMT without being put on a waiting list and the prices were expensive for the time period but yet attainable. Just check out the prices below. For instance a two-tone Submariner for less than 7k, I remember these days when you could get a SS Submariner for 5k and less

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property
Analog watch Clock Font Material property Measuring instrument
Watch Analog watch Font Clock Material property

·
Super Moderator
17,853 Posts
The good old days right Bob?! :D:)

Yeah, that is fascinating, not to mention unbelievably cool to
see this. ;)(y) I mean in reality it’s not really that long of a
time, but things have changed so much. ..I just used to like
looking through the pages of all of the watch magazines in
book stores years back. 😊

I wonder how many of them there actually are now today.

In any case, thanks so much for the look, as well as the
memories too !!!

·
Watch Freek
576 Posts
While this memory may be faulty - it is how I remember it.

In 1971 I was stationed on Okinawa (Army) and decided to purchase a watch, I suppose at the time I was wearing a Timex. The PX had two that I debated over: a $70 Bulova and a $300 Rolex.
This soldiers pay was around $100 a month (before taxes) so I chose the Bulova.

I was never happy with it (it kept poor time) but I wore it until the late 70s when I made the switch to quartz; cheap and accurate.

I still have this (non-functional) Bulova.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Measuring instrument

·
Watch Freek
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While this memory may be faulty - it is how I remember it.

In 1971 I was stationed on Okinawa (Army) and decided to purchase a watch, I suppose at the time I was wearing a Timex. The PX had two that I debated over: a $70 Bulova and a $300 Rolex.
This soldiers pay was around $100 a month (before taxes) so I chose the Bulova.

I was never happy with it (it kept poor time) but I wore it until the late 70s when I made the switch to quartz; cheap and accurate.

I still have this (non-functional) Bulova.

View attachment 143359
That is definately 70's and a really nice looking watch

·
Watch Freek
576 Posts
Does $300 sound about right for a 1971 Rolex (unknown model), overseas discount / PX item?

Coffee was $0.05/ cup, beer from a vending machine $0.20 can.

·
Long Time Member
489 Posts
Wrascal;

Prices sound about right. Even buying in the USA I bought a Rolex GMT Master from an authorized USA dealer in Berkeley, CA for circa $350 as I recall That would be circa 1967 or 1968. I still have it. Rolex at the time was a upper end working mans watch. After all the GMT Master was originally designed for airline pilots and while in the Navy I remember that sailors wearing the Rolex Submariner were not that uncommon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts