Watch Freeks banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking to buy on ebay a Seiko 5Y30-5060 watch manufactured in the 1980`s. This is fitted with a standard round gold plated crown. There are several other similar models from the same decade that have cabachon crowns fitted as standard. I would like to swap the crown for a cabachon one but do not know whether they are intechangeable. I would appreciatew opinions please. thanks jack.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
You would have to find out the diameter of the stem. They are not all the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi tinknocker. many thanks for your reply. Forgive my ignorance but do all crowns screw onto the stem or are they all one. There are a few crowns on ebay that have a thread in them and give their diameter. sorry if my question is silly. thanks jack

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I think the biggest thing is how the stem seats into the crown. Some are glued, some are threaded. Depending on how it's sits, the original stem might be too short or too long for the new crown.

Really hard to make a judgement without taking it apart and measuring.
It's possible they could swap and work fine. It is also more likely that you would need a new uncut stem to size to the new crown. I'm not very familiar with that particular watch and movement but there are others you could contact who could answer the question or you could send it to them to try and make it work. My favorite is Jack at IWW, but there is also Jay at MCWW that is also highly recommended for doing mods like this.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
If it is the same basic model you may get lucky and they could be interchangeable, but no guarantees.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Here's an assortment of different stems. I've always seen them threaded, maybe some are glued on to the threads., I'm no expert.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ganson, Many thanks. I have looked on this forum but cant find a link to jack at IWW. can you please help.thanks

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts