Watch Freeks banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/health/Fitness-Tracker-Fad-Wearing-Down--313737551.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

Although sales of Fitbit and other fitness trackers are strong, many of their owners lose enthusiasm for them once the novelty of knowing how many steps they've taken wears off. One research firm, Endeavour Partners, estimates that about a third of these trackers get abandoned after six months. A health care investment fund, Rock Health, says Fitbit's regulatory filings suggest that only half of Fitbit's nearly 20 million registered users were still active as of the first quarter of 2015.

Makers of fitness trackers are already thinking ahead with higher-end models at double the price. The Fitbit Surge with GPS tracking and message notification costs $250 and Jawbone's Up 4 with mobile payments costs $200. But Android smartwatches cost about as much, and Apple Watch just a bit more, starting at $350.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
I think a lot of the people ARE MOVING to the iWatch and other similar mobile watches that do the same thing. I am still wearing my VIVOsmart fitness bracelet every day. BUT if I get an iWatch it is gone immediately.

I know about 5 people who stopped wearing their fitness bracelet when they got one of the smart watches.

Reactions: ganson

·
Registered
319 Posts
Fitbit IPOed last month and is up almost 50% from initial asking price.

You either IPO to get funding for growth or you do it to cash out.

IMHO this looks like a cash out.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
i've kinda stopped wearing my Mio Fuse constantly. i do wear it during my workout or doing outdoor activities because of the HRM

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Who didn't know this was going to end up in the pile with all the other unused exercise equipment? No surprises.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I've sold my Garmin in favor of the Applewatch. The iPhone also tracks steps and miles so really you don't need the watch. I think people came to learn that their phones (apple and android) track steps just fine and they usually take their phones everywhere so its accurately displaying their records. I'm at 6.5 miles this morning already, btw. Busy day.

PS: For those of you who like to run or power walk or whatever...Adidas Climacool midway boxer briefs are the greatest things since the invention of the water bottle. They run a little costly but they really keep the jewels in place and happy. Sorry if thats too much info. :)

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Have a fit bit but also enjoy wearing a watch. I'm sure a lot of folks are switching from fit bit to apple watch or an android watch. Not sure I want to give up my regualr watch not sure there is a big enough market but for me I would like to see a fitness tracker that is skinnier. If I could wear my regular watch and a fitness tracker on the left wrist without it looking dopey I would do both. In the winter with long sleeves I'm cool with wearing a fit bit on the right wrist and a regular watch on the left wrist.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I hear you and don't like wearing things on both wrists (regardless of their size) either. If it isn't on my left wrist, its not going to work for me at all. What I am finding is that I wear my Apple watch in the first half of each day. I seem to get the most fitness done then and also use the other functions mostly then. I switch over to a "normal" watch in the afternoons nowadays and this little process has been working really well for me.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
I hear you and don't like wearing things on both wrists (regardless of their size) either. If it isn't on my left wrist, its not going to work for me at all. What I am finding is that I wear my Apple watch in the first half of each day. I seem to get the most fitness done then and also use the other functions mostly then. I switch over to a "normal" watch in the afternoons nowadays and this little process has been working really well for me.
I did not know you had gotten an iWatch. Can you post a wrist shot of yours please. I am getting closer to getting one also.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not know you had gotten an iWatch. Can you post a wrist shot of yours please. I am getting closer to getting one also.

Thanks!
What? The end of days are near!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
haha - actually seeing YOUR smart watch is what has really got me interested. Since I already have an iphone I am looking at the iWatch. Also about 10 people I know recently have received their iWatches and they are pretty cool.

Just looking right now!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
There is a thread right next to this one with those pics, James (Undisputed Champ of Lume World). Cool watch, btw!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wear the Fitbit Charge HR and will not purchase the apple watch until the watch works much more independently of the iPhone. My Fitbit is very comfortable provides me HR info all in a small package. The big plus is that I can wear my tradional watches on my other wrist.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha - actually seeing YOUR smart watch is what has really got me interested. Since I already have an iphone I am looking at the iWatch. Also about 10 people I know recently have received their iWatches and they are pretty cool.

Just looking right now!
I love my MOTO 360. I wear it a lot.....

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wear the Fitbit Charge HR and will not purchase the apple watch until the watch works much more independently of the iPhone. My Fitbit is very comfortable provides me HR info all in a small package. The big plus is that I can wear my tradional watches on my other wrist.
You should be able to control the watch and how and when it communicates with the phone. I can with my MOTO 360. You can set which apps send notifications and you can set them at various levels of priority. What I like the most is the watch gallery. There is thousands of watch faces free for download and each one can then be customized in a million different ways from what they show on the dial to colors to hand styles.....you name it. Basically, you can design a new watch everyday that only you have. Lots of fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts