Watch Freeks banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have had fish tanks for the last 20 yrs, when I designed the house we live in I ran out of room, to put my 300 gallon tank into the wall. So I had to move to a 150 gallon. Well I have done African's now for the last 10 yrs and I just purchased a wild caught Black Calvus, he cost me $120.00, well he got hit hard by someone in the tank and doesnt look like he is going to make it!!! This is probably my favorite hobby, well next to building bikes and cars anyways!

Here are some pix of the tank and a pik of the black calvus not being happy!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

WoW that sux Rip...I use to have African siclits also and was so addicted to them. I also had red belly piranhas that use to tear through everything...what a handful they were...

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

Very nice setup you got there Ron. You're right he doesn't look very happy.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yeah he has a chunk take out of him! Poor guy is all clamped down!!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I moved this to the Lounge section.

great pics. For many years I had fresh and saltwater fish in my 150 and 200 gallon tanks. At one time I had very expensive salt water fish, including a shark, stingray, puffer fish, etc. One by one they eventually died due to water issues, or some other crazy disease - no matter how much care I took with the tank, had contracts with outside companies that came in weekly/months, etc etc etc. The death of these high end fish would really hit me hard. Not because of the cost, but because I hated killing such beautiful creatures. My favorite thing was to come home - turn off all the lights in my place and just leave on the tank lights and watch the stingray fly through the water, the shark glide back and forth, etc.

After the problems with the salt water I switched to fresh water and again did Africans, fresh water sting rays, snake heads, Oscars, etc etc etc - same thing. It just really upset me.

so now, I am down to 1 150 gallon tank with a lizard in it. I have had the one lizard that is left for the past 6 years. I had 2 for a long time and then one died about 2 years ago. The one that is left has been with us for over 5 years.

Animals are hard, no matter what the size. Fish really stressed me out when they would die.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

You've had a spell of bad luck Rip, hope it turns quick for you.

The set up is very nice, we knew you were talented but I'm thinking none of us knew how diverse you are. You are full of surprises big man.

CJ

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
I moved this to the Lounge section.

great pics. For many years I had fresh and saltw$#er fish in my 150 and 200 gallon tanks. At one time I had very expensive salt water fish, including a shark, stingray, puffer fish, etc. One by one they eventually died due to water issues, or some other crazy disease - no matter how much care I took with the tank, had contracts with outside companies that came in weekly/months, etc etc etc. The death of these high end fish would really hit me hard. Not because of the cost, but because I hated killing such beautiful creatures. My favorite thing was to come home - turn off all the lights in my place and just leave on the tank lights and watch the stingray fly through the water, the shark glide back and forth, etc.

After the problems with the salt water I switched to fresh water and again did Africans, fresh water sting rays, snake heads, Oscars, etc etc etc - same thing. It just really upset me.

so now, I am down to 1 150 gallon tank with a lizard in it. I have had the one lizard that is left for the past 6 years. I had 2 for a long time and then one died about 2 years ago. The one that is left has been with us for over 5 years.

Animals are hard, no matter what the size. Fish really stressed me out when they would die.
Never had a lot of die off with the fish, but every now and again I will get a fish that just seems to get the crap kicked out of him and it just pisses me off, because they are so damned expensive. There are 55 fish in the tank and an average of $30 a piece. If he dies, well he dies and I will get another! The main reason for the wild caught fish was they have a better coloration to them then captive bred. I will just buy a captive bred Calvus @ $60.00.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Seattle wrote:
You've had a spell of bad luck Rip, hope it turns quick for you.

The set up is very nice, we knew you were talented but I'm thinking none of us knew how diverse you are. You are full of surprises big man.

CJ
I dont know about all that, but if I do it "I do it right"!!!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
imported post

I had African Cichilds a few years back. Beautiful fish just hard to maintain. I went through my piranha phase. Now I have South and Central American fish. An oscar, jack dempsey , green terror, and a convict.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

Its been years since I had a tank. just keeping the tank clean was a pain.At least my watches dont die great pics Ron

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

IVXX wrote:
I had African Cichilds a few years back. Beautiful fish just hard to maintain. I went through my piranha phase. Now I have South and Central American fish. An oscar, jack dempsey , green terror, and a convict.
Interesting observation by many about fish death, If a tank is set-up properly fish wont get sick and die. A Great Biological filter consisting of 1200 GPH with a bio ball set-up and UV sterilizer along with a 1600 GPH Ocean clear mechanical filter and a 300 gallon tank wont get sick.

I clean my tank 2 times a year thats it, If a tank is loosing fish then it is simple the wrong or impropper equipment is being used to filter the water.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
imported post

When I said hard to maintain its because the African cichilds are very sensitive to ph levels. I didnt say I killed them cause I didnt have the right stuff. I gave mine to a friend who had a bigger tank.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

IVXX wrote:
When I said hard to maintain its because the African cichilds are very sensitive to ph levels. I didnt say I killed them cause I didnt have the right stuff. I gave mine to a friend who had a bigger tank.
Crushed Coral sand which is what I have always used maintains PH levels without any issues!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
IVXX wrote:
Crushed Coral sand which is what I have always used maintains PH levels without any issues!
Cool!! I herd about that before. Thanks I believe the next time I do a water change I will just switch to that.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

IVXX wrote:
RipitRon wrote:
IVXX wrote:
Cool!! I herd about that before. Thanks I believe the next time I do a water change I will just switch to that.
It worx well, and even the south americans, and centrals will like the higher Ph levels!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts