Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post and it is my first day wearing what is, really, my first watch. True, when younger I had a few cheap drugstore watches, but this is my first "adult" watch, finally at the age of 51. After doing a bit of research (including these forums), I decided on a Hamilton, which arrived last night. So far, I am loving it! The leather strap is a bit stiff, but I assume that breaks in over time. I sense an addiction coming on . . .

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Great watch. Classic Hamilton. Love it. I am yet to own a Hamilton. I was personally on a micro brand kick that I have slowly removed myself from. Looking at another Hamilton as it was suppose to be my first real watch purchase such as yourself. Looking back two years I now wish it was.

Yeah. An addiction is coming on. It's nice to have variations and rotate. The leather band should soften up depending on the grade of leather. May take a little while depending on how long the watch is worn.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Great choice! No Hammies for me either, though I know that will change one day!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Welcome to WF!! Congrats on your Hamilton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
You have just taken the gateway drug to being a watchaholic.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A classic design from a manufacturer with an excellent pedigree. Great choice!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Welcome great start with your Hamilton and forum choice. Oh it's an addiction alright with a plethora of enablers here too. You will find an outstanding knowledge pool as well as a superb team of moderators.
Welcome.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Man that is a nice story. Lots of firsts for you. Enjoy your Hammy and hang around a while. Welcome here. Wish I could say something witty but its not happening.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Welcome.
Nice choice. Hamiltons are very well respected. It should serve you for many, many years.
What is on your list for your next acquisition? :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome.
Nice choice. Hamiltons are very well respected. It should serve you for many, many years.
What is on your list for your next acquisition? :)
Ah, I have (as you all will understand) already been thinking about that. When I first was thinking about getting a watch, the one that first struck my eye was a Shinola Runwell with a green face. But then as I started to read more, talked to a couple of people, etc, I realized that for my first I should go mechanical and automatic, not quartz. You can see that my original aesthetic idea didn't change, however, since this Hamilton is very much in the same style. I could make the Shinola my next watch, but I think it is too similar and I am still liking the "idea" of mechanical. For the same reasons, I suppose, that I cook with cast-iron, shine my own shoes, shave with a safety razor and badger brush, etc. But I hear that Shinola does make a great product, so that is still an option.

I think my current plan is to wait and learn, and get more exposure to what you all talk about, etc. I think I need to "mature" my taste a bit and learn what is out there.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Ah, I have (as you all will understand) already been thinking about that. When I first was thinking about getting a watch, the one that first struck my eye was a Shinola Runwell with a green face. But then as I started to read more, talked to a couple of people, etc, I realized that for my first I should go mechanical and automatic, not quartz. You can see that my original aesthetic idea didn't change, however, since this Hamilton is very much in the same style. I could make the Shinola my next watch, but I think it is too similar and I am still liking the "idea" of mechanical. For the same reasons, I suppose, that I cook with cast-iron, shine my own shoes, shave with a safety razor and badger brush, etc. But I hear that Shinola does make a great product, so that is still an option.

I think my current plan is to wait and learn, and get more exposure to what you all talk about, etc. I think I need to "mature" my taste a bit and learn what is out there.
May I make a suggestion, if you really start getting into this "Watch" thing and want to not completely deplete your funds, go sparingly on the Swiss stuff, and check out Seiko in particularly.

They make excellent top quality watches, mechanical, quartz, solar, kinetic, in almost every price range going on up to their Creedor models which rival Patek Phillipe.

Hard to beat Seiko in the bang for buck category.

Reactions: arogle1stus
1 - 20 of 38 Posts