Watch Freeks banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Over the past couple of years there have been proposals to allow unpermitted concealed carry in Alabama; so far there has been enough opposition to defeat it.
I believe individuals should be pre-screened before being allowed this option - and if granted it should be free.

Currently the fees charged for this go to the permitting authority - and to me that's self serving.
Fortunately for me I'm in a category (Retired Military) where it is free!

My personal (cool weather) carry favorite is an an ugly HK VP9: it fits me best. Carried in a shark leather outside waist holster (OWH) and/or in an equally ugly Inside Waist Holster (IWH).
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Bullet Gun accessory

Brown Handgun holster Sleeve Personal protective equipment Font

As it's heavy it requires a quality belt to support it - my choice for belts are the leathers from Kore Essential.

·
1,453 Posts
I use the Kore belt for my daily carry, which I currently switch between a S&W M&P Shield 9mm and a Walther PDP Compact with a Holosun Red Dot.

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
PICTURES, we need pictures.
I've owned several Walthers; a P22 .22LR, I loved its feel but it was problematic so is gone. Also a PPS M2 9mm, I liked it but liked others better so I sold it.

Was gifted a shiny Walther TPH .22LR, will re-gift it when my grandsons are old enough to own it. Back story is it belonged to my son-in-laws (SIL) granny. SIL gained it when granny died. Then SIL died and my daughter gained it / gifted it to me. I shot one mag to ensure it was functional and safe, then put it away.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Air gun Everyday carry Trigger Gun barrel Wood

·
Long Time Member
625 Posts
I used to have $28k-$30k in guns, but sold about $25k of them before i moved to Colorado.

I’m listing my house this weekend and moving to the Smokies, so I’ll probably be picking up some rifles again. I miss my 6.5mm Creedmore lefty Savage 110 Precision a lot. Also had some serious Springfield ARs that I miss. Sold my Mac 11 for $6500. Kept my crappy Bushmaster AR-15 because nobody wants it and I have 3,000+ rounds of 5.56 and .223. Kept my grandad’s 1949 Browning Belgian Light 12. Wife has a Savage .22 with a Vortex scope worth more than the rifle.

I kept these. Just the basics for security. Nothing fancy now.

Springfield XD .45 Compact

Springfield XD .45 Mod.2 Subcompact

S&W 642 .38 Special

My carry, a S&W 442 .38 Special Crimson Trace

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
"Wife has a Savage .22 with a Vortex scope worth more than the rifle."

When my kids were kids I purchased this tube fed auto Marlin 60 (.22 LR) rifle for them to learn shooting skills; results were poor until I put on a cheap Nikon scope. The scope cost more than the rifle did.

One year my youngest daughter came home (from college) with some girlfriends and they all had a ball shooting it.

Both (Marlin & Nikon) are still cohabitating, hiding in the safe; it hasn't been shot in many/ many years.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I've never owned a Springfield, not even sure I've ever shot one. I do know I have handled them before.
I have shot smaller revolvers (Airweights) and wasn't impressed with them.
I also know that I'm not man enough to handle a .45; never have been (issued several military ones, also owned several). I can get the first shot on target but followup shots are very slow and deliberate.

I've got pics of MY LAST .45 (a Colt Commander) that I hated to trade but it just couldn't please me.

I also have pics of my only revolver: a Ruger Single Six, 50th Anniv. Special, Cowboy Edition (wow, what a mouthfull). It came with both a .22LR and a magnum wheel; it still sees range time.

Last note: you've got way more invested in this hobby than I ever did. Mine have ranged from $100 steals up to around $1800. Sold many of them at a loss - but sometime I made a trade that I feel was for a better deal.

With the virus my buying, shooting, evaluating them, selling them - has come to a halt; even my recreational shooting has greatly slowed down so as to conserve my ammo stockpile.

·
Long Time Member
625 Posts
I've never owned a Springfield, not even sure I've ever shot one. I do know I have handled them before.
I have shot smaller revolvers (Airweights) and wasn't impressed with them.
I also know that I'm not man enough to handle a .45; never have been (issued several military ones, also owned several). I can get the first shot on target but followup shots are very slow and deliberate.

I've got pics of MY LAST .45 (a Colt Commander) that I hated to trade but it just couldn't please me.

I also have pics of my only revolver: a Ruger Single Six, 50th Anniv. Special, Cowboy Edition (wow, what a mouthfull). It came with both a .22LR and a magnum wheel; it still sees range time.

Last note: you've got way more invested in this hobby than I ever did. Mine have ranged from $100 steals up to around $1800. Sold many of them at a loss - but sometime I made a trade that I feel was for a better deal.

With the virus my buying, shooting, evaluating them, selling them - has come to a halt; even my recreational shooting has greatly slowed down so as to conserve my ammo stockpile.
J-frames are for defense, not target shooting. If you can shoot a double action only J-frame correctly, you can shoot anything. Most people try to stage the trigger, which is exactly how not to shoot them. I’ve had $2,000 revolvers that drive tacks from 20 yards and everything in between. Anytime a guy acts like he’s a pro I hand him my 442 and he gets very humble very quickly. My wife can shoot hers well enough to use for defense.

·
1,453 Posts
Just redeemed by Sig Rewards points for a P365X with Romeozero which I should have in a few weeks. Free is always good.

Probably going to upgrade the P365X with the new Wilson Combat grip module.

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Ohhhh, looking at that Walther makes me feel queezy (with desire).
Thanks for the feeling.

Here are some more that've gone bye-bye (FNX-9, G19, Kahr PM9):

Wood Trigger Air gun Wood stain Gun barrel

·
Long Time Member
625 Posts
Found a pic of my Savage 110 Precision that I sold. These are seriously awesome guns if you don’t know already. For what they are, very affordable, too.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Here's the ol' Browning .22 lever action.
My favorite gun, the Springfield Operator .45
Second favorite, the Dan Wesson CCO .45
And, the too compact for my taste but nice Kimber EVO SP 9mm

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Light Air gun Trigger Wood Line

Where you from Wrascal? I'm in Huntsville.

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
"Where you from Wrascal? I'm in Huntsville."

Just outside of Dothan/ Ft. Rucker.
I often refer to it as LA (for lower Alabama), playing off my family home just outside of LA.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
"Where you from Wrascal? I'm in Huntsville."

Just outside of Dothan/ Ft. Rucker.
I often refer to it as LA (for lower Alabama), playing off my family home just outside of LA.
Ya. We have UCLA just outside of town here...University of Calhoun 'Longside the Airport. A community college :)

·
Long Time Member
625 Posts
Here's the ol' Browning .22 lever action.
My favorite gun, the Springfield Operator .45
Second favorite, the Dan Wesson CCO .45
And, the too compact for my taste but nice Kimber EVO SP 9mm

View attachment 139807

View attachment 139806

Where you from Wrascal? I'm in Huntsville.
I just had a final interview this afternoon and am for sure moving to Knoxville, not far north. Cannot wait to be back where it’s green and water is everywhere.

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I made 2 emergency road trips north this summer and Knoxville was about the 1/3 mark. We stayed each time (up and back) at a Drury Inn (recommended if you need a place).

I left the dog behind but did carry my P365.
Air gun Trigger Wood Rectangle Gun barrel

·
1,453 Posts
Nothing really special, but is sentimental. This was my Grandfather's 22 he had as a kid. He was born in 1900 so the gun is over 100 years old now.

I've probably had it for 25 years, but finally cleaned it up and shot it a few month ago at the range. The extractor is worn out so removing the spent shells were tricky, but it still shoots straight.

It's a Stevens Favorite model 1894 made sometime before 1920.

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
That is one stunningly beautiful .22, thank you grandpa.

While I have No Pics I also have a grandpa hand me down ... actually a great-grandpa hand me down.
Back in 2000, my slowly dying father gifted me a pocket watch that (as a teen) he'd received from his (railroading) grandfather.

I feel guilty that it just sits in a community pile, non-working.

Love to them all, but what will I ever do with it? Likely I'll pass it along to a younger sibling.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts