Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new watch. Took a while since my last purchase in March for my Steinhart Premium Ocean 1. Now I am back in business. After grinding away at a terrible company for 2.5 years, I have managed to find a new job. Well actually they found me. This will now put me in a better position to buy a new watch. Contemplating spending more than I had paid for my Steinhart.

The watches I am now considering are: (No specific order)

1. Seiko SKX 009

2. Longines Hydroconquest

3. Glycine Combat Sub

4. Hamilton Seaview

Would not mind buying from an authorized dealer in person for this purchase and so for the only two I have found in my area would be the Longines and Hamilton. Hamilton was the first watch I was going to buy over the Steinhart. Contemplating another Seiko then listed, but still on the hunt for another one to add to the list that I truly like and probably will enjoy.

These are all roughly the same time of watch for the movement involved in that they gain or lose the same amount of seconds approximately. Now its time for me to decide, do my research and make a decision.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would love to try on that Longines Hydroconquest for a weekend and see if we bonded like I think we would. Glycine is a close second. I am looking at the Longines strap and longing for it.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I like the Glycine. It's the thinnest of those listed.

You could get a few SKX 009's for the price of one of the others.

All good choices though.

Congrats on the new job.
Does this mean the possibility of a new car as well?

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Instead of the SKX, maybe look at the Sumo instead? About twice as much but a much better quality watch (not that the SKX is bad watch, just the Sumo is that much better).

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the Glycine. It's the thinnest of those listed.

You could get a few SKX 009's for the price of one of the others.

All good choices though.

Congrats on the new job.
Does this mean the possibility of a new car as well?
Company car now. Its not new, but yeah my other car is going to sleep for the winter.

The GS is a little too much is it not? I might as well snag an Omega or a Tudor at that price.

The Sumo is a nice looking watch, Ganson what makes it better than the others in quality and build? The 45mm is a little big, so I may end up at an authorized dealer trying a bunch of them on. Turns out I have at least 5 authorized dealers in jewelry stores oppose to sears in my town that I may have to scope.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Oh, the GS is crazy expensive (well, for me... nearly $7k USD). I was really just marveling at it just a while before reading your post!

That Longines is great too. I checked out a number of them while in Nassau last week and boy oh boy are they nice!

·
Registered
50 Posts
That Glycine rocks...but then again...so does that Longines....tough choice between those two.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
the 009 is a no-brainer and should be bought on general principles. just eliminate that from the list, buy it and get one of the others (i'm partial to Longines). i picked up my (2nd) 009 on Rakuten for $125 delivered. slap a $75 Tungchoy/StrapCode Super Jubilee on it and it's amazing how much quality is in such a cheap combo

and speaking of Longines- my LLD and the 009 have been getting 99% of the wrist time this summer..

the Seaview uses the Jazzmaster case, which IMO offer a higher level of case finishing than Hamilton's other lines. it's probably the "dressiest" of the offerings

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
I'd buy the Brown Bezel Glycine. I do own both Seikos and they're fabulous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may listen to Four20 and just pick up the Seiko from Rakuten. I use that site a lot.

As for the Longines or Hamilton, that is where my decision now lays. I said my next watch would be the Longines, but I wanted that Hammy for some time. Glycine, love it, but want to go through an AD this time, just for the "experience" and convenience of walking in and buying a watch.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Glycine, then the Hydroquest barely easing out the Hamilton.

Cant go wrong.

My first good watch was the Glycine left to me by my Grandfather.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Company car now. Its not new, but yeah my other car is going to sleep for the winter.

The GS is a little too much is it not? I might as well snag an Omega or a Tudor at that price.

Get an Omega or a Tudor that you really want. Then work your ass off. Nothing lights a fire more than an "oh s**t, what have I done!?" type move.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get an Omega or a Tudor that you really want. Then work your ass off. Nothing lights a fire more than an "oh s**t, what have I done!?" type move.
Wish I had the 4-6k for those watches. Don't get me wrong the Tudor would be so nice. But I'm only making 8k more than was I was at my previous job. This watch may be out of reach for 1-2 more years.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wish I had the 4-6k for those watches. Don't get me wrong the Tudor would be so nice. But I'm only making 8k more than was I was at my previous job. This watch may be out of reach for 1-2 more years.
I'm assuming you have a Grail in mind that will be with you a lifetime.

8K more per year. Financing which would be close to 0 interest for like the first 12 months.

Even if you do decide to part ways with the, resale value will be at least 75% with box and papers and your taking good care of it.

This would be a smaller fire then I thought and totally doable.

Grail of a lifetime? or Something you going to want to replace in a few months.

I'm just putting it out there.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
luvs me the GLYCINE COMBAT SUB & HAMMY--size matters & these are classic size for clown school drop-outs--

that HAMMY with OMEGA hands is FS on this forum --

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Hey GL,
Congrats on new job, knew you hated your last job.
My vote is Longenes, followed by Hammy. Own both brands & they both get worn ALOT! Longenes maybe a bit more than Hamilton, but not much.
Have fun deciding.

:clapping-hands-abov

1 - 20 of 27 Posts