Watch Freeks banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Several weeks ago I did a project using a 6105 styled case a sub dial and some military style hands. I liked it so much that I wanted to do another one using a different design for the dial and the hands. This is a case that is very much like the Turtle but slightly differently shaped, it has a coin edge bezel and a sapphire crystal as basic features. It hosts an automatic Seiko NH35A movement that hacks and handwinds and has also 200m WR.

While I had a whole mock up of the final product in my mind since the beginning, it was another story to put it into practice.

Several obstacles got on the road, those watches (Oceanica Reef Diver) were not easily available, in fact I think only a 100 or 200 were made. I really liked that specific model so that was the first hurdle.

I had 2 in the past but they were sold/traded until I got the one I used for the earlier project. Since these don't show up often on the forums and they were sold out on the site, I waited a bit but then decided to check with the company. I contacted a nice guy from Oceanica and after a few emails I found out he had a brand new watch which had a broken stem stuck into the movement. I asked him to sell it to me and I would handle, he agreed and soon after I received the watch. After I removed the movement, I ordered a new one, replaced the broken stem inside the crown and I was ready to go.

At the same time I was looking for the dial and the hands, the ones I wanted were not available from the usual places I got dials and hands before. Asking around and searching I finally found them from a company in Singapore, Raffles time. It seemed easy enough to get some cash together and place the order but I actually ended up waiting 5 weeks for the dial and the hands to come in.

So finally after almost two months I had all the parts I needed. The final installation was pretty uneventuful compared to what I had been trhough and I have to say I am very happy with the result.

What I like the most is that the asymmetrical case is nicely shaped and finished, the crown smoothly screw and unscrew, the bezel works well, the lume is great. I put it on a elastic Nato which is my latest find, comfortable and easy to adjust. It fits better then any other I had.

Here are a few pics of the watch:

And here are a few pics of the two watches side by side.

Super Moderator
Carlo, it seems like all of the waiting was well well worth it ! 馃樀
Actually didn't take to long for everything to get to you either
considering everything going on. Very cool, and once everything
got to you. Man oh man, did you work some magic once again. 馃く
It's just the whole combination of parts that is so great. Really is
something to once again be so proud of.

Seriously, this case alone is gorgeous. However, when teamed
with this bezel, dial, hands and even crystal, it becomes something
so special sir. Seeing it next to it's brother there is awesome too !

Remarkable work Carlo !!! 馃榾 Thanks so very much for sharing !

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I am really happy with these two projects, from the cases to the dials/hands, movement etc. Another great thing is that they are both pretty affordable at least for me to make.

The straps are in fact my new discovery, elastic Nato, they fit great, keep the watch head in place without strangling my wrist. Genius.

Registered
Really like the watch and strap combinations. Where did you find those nice elastic NATO straps with the wide stripe?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the kind words. The strap is from Cheapnatostraps a company in Sweden. It is real cheap but works really good for me, holds watch head in place without being tight at all, still flexible and comfortable.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Actually I bought a few of these and I am replacing each Nato strap I have on watches, right now I am wearing a Casio ProTrek with one of the 22mm ones.

Works great with that too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts