• @3.00 position as a standard watch

Votes: 5 14.7%
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here at Watchfreeks and I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and request some feedback on an idea which is at the pre-prototype phase, a first for my micro brand- SaStek.

ABOUT THE INSPIRATION- TIME SPEED INDICATOR

I have always loved the aircraft instrument style and simplicity of Bell & Ross watches. That being said, they have most instruments covered in their repertoire and bringing something new to the table would always be a challenge. The name of the watch and its inspiration comes from a machmeter i.e. an Air Speed Indicator. But rather than just carrying that inspiration over to a watch, I have taken it a step further. The hour hand pointer peeks through the halo created by the minute disc. This ideology is also used on automotive speedometers. Next was viewing the minute disc. In a perfect world they would be scrolling digits similar to a machmeter, however in practice, the viewing window effect is achieved through printing the underside of the crystal.
I like regulator type watches and had half a mind of avoiding the seconds hand completely at this point to go really minimalistic. However, looking at some aviation photos gave me the inspiration for the second’s hand. The very purpose of having a spiral form on the nose cone of a jet engine is to tell if the engine is rotating. This form lent itself to be a good fit for a seconds disc since it not only showed the watch was working but also gave a reference point as the end of the spiral revolves.

THE COLLECTION:

Following is the collection I have come up with. Through subtle colour and strap variations, the base design lends itself to various styles ranging from sport to quirky elegance. I am open to other suggestions, but hopefully, there should be something for everyone here. I have , Azzurro(blue), Rosso (red), Giallo(yellow), Verde(green), Arancio(orange) and Grigio (grey).

Shown below is the blue, green and yellow versions. What do you think?

TEXTURE OF THE CASE:
I am thinking about the option of having a blasted steel finish on certain combinations as well. Here is a comparison of the two side by side.

What do you think? PVD- Steel or both? :confused:

TECH SPECS:

Case Diameter: 44mm
Dial Diameter: 38mm
Thickness: 11-12mm
Lug width: 24mm
Crown: 7mm diameter x 5mm wide @ 4.00 position.
Crystal: Printed, Flat Sapphire with A/R coating
Case: 316L SS. PVD coated or blasted steel finish
Movement: Miyota 9015
Case Back: TBC. Possibly non exhibition but engraved.
Water resistance: 10atm
Lume: Superluminova

I had an important question regarding lume and would really appreciate some feedback on it. I think, a lot of the look of the watch comes from using standard Pantone printing colors which give it a bit of pop from the black dial. You can get custom lume colors to print as well but it is cost prohibitive and doesnt look the same. Now, most of the time when I am looking at the time at night, it is either my cellphone if I want the exact time or it is a case of "what time is it approximately" as in " 10 to 10 or 5 to 9" etc.. Without compromising on the colors of the dial, I was thinking of the hour hand having lume as well as the hour markings divided in spacing of 10 minutes which would turn the watch into a sort of regulator type of a design at night. Agreed, not having 100% functionality but not loosing it all as well in the name of design. What would be your opinion on it?

Quick video on working of the watch. Please excuse the speed of the seconds hand, the software did not allow me to put the correct speed ratios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2fck-udWso&feature=youtu.be

THE PROJECT AND MYSELF:
My name is Saket Sharma. I am an automotive engineer in the UK, designing chassis components for some of the most prominent German and British car manufacturers. In addition to this, I am also an Alfa Romeo owner/fanatic(hence the Italian watch names :D), gamer and a computer case modder.
I tend to like things that have a unique edge to it, something that “breaks the meta” and has never been seen before. The idea for this watch has been in the making for close to year now and deciding to commercialize it led to the creation of SaStek. Currently I am at the pre prototype phase and if I have learnt something from being in the automotive industry, it is that a prototype must be as production representative as possible. No production fixes are as easy as they sound. Your feedback would help achieve that goal.

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. I would really appreciate if you could provide some feedback on the design or any thoughts/comments that I may have missed out.

Regards
SaStek.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Like the designs so far. IMO you need to have the offering in SS as well as PVD black. Instead of PVD have you thought about using DLC (more durable finish). Definitely offer a exhibition back in addition to a standard case back. Good Luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

@Jason, I wanted to name the watch " Time speed indicator", very literal, but my take on an air speed indicator. I could get rid of the "automatic" but if it does use one I thought of showing it on the dial.

@Watchhunter: Would DLC give the same deep black color as PVD? The only reason to avoid an exhibition case back was having a industrial black watch with a gold/silver movement on the other side. May be a bit of mismatch? Although I do prefer the idea of looking at a mechanical movement moving myself.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
I'd be in for a bead blasted SS version. You should leave the word "Minutes" off the dial. Maybe consider calling it Automatic Time Speed Regulator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I get rid of the word "minutes", that should give me more space to position SaStek closer to the center and possibly have "automatic" written horizontally below it in a smaller font. Good idea, gives me a bit more real estate on the face to work with. I would maybe border the window in white to give it a bit more emphasis.

Any thoughts on the lume?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The watch is something different. I'll give it that. It's not my cup of tea. I do not like how the minutes are displayed. I'm more of a traditional watch guy.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My apologies, I didn't realise that's the name of the watch itself. It's a unique and attractive design which is not easy to achieve. I like that you've based the style on a concept and theme - it's a proper watch which looks like it was designed by a professional, and is not just a bunch of off-the-shelf parts slapped together. I think you've done really well.

:smileyface_hand_cla

Re: lume. This is really a style / fashion oriented watch. The colours and look are more important than functionality IMO - we've all got phones, clocks, microwaves, TVs, Blu-Ray players, G-Shocks etc if we really need to tell the time at night. With this in mind, you could probably skip lume altogether so as not to corrupt the purity of your preferred colour schemes. The only issue may be that it could be harder to market a watch with no lume, kind of how people insist on water resistance orders of magnitude greater then they will ever actually need.

·
Registered
683 Posts
@Watchhunter: Would DLC give the same deep black color as PVD?

Yes!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jason/Gino. I understand, it can be a marmite design based on whether one likes traditional or modern designs. My second watch would be traditional, but with a twist. Already thought off it in my mind.;)

Am working on removing the "minutes" marking and rejigging a few things around. Should have a render up pretty soon.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks Jason/Gino. I understand, it can be a marmite design based on whether one likes traditional or modern designs. My second watch would be traditional, but with a twist. Already thought off it in my mind.;)

Am working on removing the "minutes" marking and rejigging a few things around. Should have a render up pretty soon.
Marmite, polarising designs are the way to go IMO. We don't need yet another Sub rip-off. Better to have a creative, unique, innovative style that 5% of people ABSOLUTELY LOVE than boring blandness trying to appeal to everybody.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Another thought with the exhibition case back would be to DLC coat the rotor black and have the SAStek left the silver color of the rotor (laser etched).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marmite, polarising designs are the way to go IMO. We don't need yet another Sub rip-off. Better to have a creative, unique, innovative style that 5% of people ABSOLUTELY LOVE than boring blandness trying to appeal to everybody.
Absolutely agree. I am a bit late to the kickstarter party, but hopefully should be able to bring something new to the table.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I love quirky stuff so I'd be in for one. I am in the automotive engineering industry as well. Why is it car guys always love planes and plane guys always love cars? Anyway, cool design. It looks a little like where SevenFriday should have gone and gotten rid of all the "gadget-y" stuff that clutters up their watches.

One of the nicer logos I have seen lately as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers spoon! The logo is inspired from my days playing half life..

Jasons comment regarding lume reminded me of an interesting fact.. Someone from a "luxury 4x4" vehicle manufacturing co. once told me that 90% of their vehicles designed for full-off road capabilities have never even seen a patch of grass in their life. :biggrin1:

Did a quick render to get rid of the "minutes" word. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Cheers spoon! The logo is inspired from my days playing half life..

Jasons comment regarding lume reminded me of an interesting fact.. Someone from a "luxury 4x4" vehicle manufacturing co. once told me that 90% of their vehicles designed for full-off road capabilities have never even seen a patch of grass in their life. :biggrin1:

Did a quick render to get rid of the "minutes" word. What do you think?

I like this.
Cleaner and better organized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I'm assuming, by looking at the dial, the time it reads is 8:21, if not, better get back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
1 - 20 of 106 Posts