Watch Freeks banner

Ever been Ripped off over a watch transaction??

4K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  UKWolfeman 
#1 ·
imported post

First and only time was at another forum (not the one you might be thinking). Found a 4469 (Pro Diver, MOP, SW200) the price was good but not great but as most know it's been out of production for some time. Anyway, contacted the seller since he rated it at 99%, made the arrangmeents, paid via paypal. Recieved the watch, took a little longer than expected but when I opened the box it appeared to be what he said. Moments later I was checking the operation and setting the time when I noticed the date wheel was coated in black gunk (turned out to be glue according to my jeweler). I was furious!! 99% my a$$! After several attempts to contact the seller he reposnded with...sorry, I didn't know (again, my a$$ he didn't know, you couldn't change the date without seeing it!). No offer to make it right, pay for the repair, nothing.
So convenient he was in a different country
And to add insult to injurt he didn't mention the tariffs and whatever other charges for shipping from ANOTHER COUNTRY...no mention of this either. Recieved an official import doc from UPS claiming that I was responsible for all the charges.....no clue this was coming.
I made an issue over it on the forum (called him out) but was told to "simma down" or else. Later on there was post regarding the same model and he had the nerve to post that he had one at one time, best watch he ever owned, should have never sold it.....I went off again....and again was told to stop. I did make my point though, a ton of people saw my rantings, I made it clear that he was crooked and not to engage in any transactions with him. Shortly after that I left the site.....most of the people are now gone so I visit on occasion.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
imported post

UKWolfeman wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Not sure how to answer too new at this whole thing. All I can say is that I hope your story never happens to me.
Thanks Mike and me too Mike, hope you never do and believe it or not it has not soured me to the point that I am not willing to give the benefit of the doubt. In the end it all worked out, I had the pieces gone through and it's still one of my fav's. The knuckleheads are out there in every aspect of life. Just taught me to be a little more careful.

CJ

Discussion starter · #6 ·
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
so far I have had really good trade and sale transactions, but I can easily see how it could go wrong.

sorry to hear about your situation with that watch cj.

do you still have that watch? pictures?
As a matter of fact James.........

The one on the left

Discussion starter · #9 ·
imported post

Hi Larry,
The date wheel issue was just a matter of cleaning but I figured since he was going to be in there I would pay for a "servicing" I don't think it cost more than $30. The tariffs and shipping total was close to $90.

For the most part I have found little things like cleaning or a hair under the crystal to be really inexpensive....$10-$15 max. I brought a movement in to be swapped once and it was around $60.

Hope that helps.
CJ

Bichondaddy wrote:
Hey CJ...

What did it cost you for all the repairs...if it's okay to ask. I have made the mistake of purchasing some vintage models on the bay and had them be total duds. I even sent one to Mehdi from WG's...and he couldn't find a replacement part ( the stem was non-exisitant...although the item description stated it was in working order...HAH!!!) and there wasn't enough of the part left for him to model it and make a new one. The case is beautiful though...true 1940's art deco style. Was hoping to give it to my wife as a present...since even though it is a man's watch...it is very small...only 22mm's. I am now just trying to find a quartz movement that is small enough to fit it and have him change it out...the case is that nice.

I have also bought new watches on the bay, and they turned out to have some really junky movement that hardly worked for a day or two.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
imported post

No problem here Don, he's a scumbag and we both know it.
You were very supportive during that time and I appreciate it.

CJ

falcon4311 wrote:
Hey Charlie, I distinctly remember your encounter with that little gnat! I think at that time I told you how much I would enjoy flying to where he lives and doa serious Dominican dance on his azz. Oops, I guess I gave away where he lives.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
imported post

TK, no hijack going on. This is what the post was about, "Have you aver been ripped off". I appreciate and understand what you're saying. You had/have every right to be livid!!!!:x

TUNAKLLR wrote:
I didn't mean to hijack your thread CJ. Not trying to be a topper here...nobody likes that guy! I'm sorry you got stuck with paying all of those unmentioned extras, along with not getting what you paid for. That's a pretty crappy feeling and I TRULY know how you felt about it when it went down! Especially if your temper is as remotely as hot as mine!

Discussion starter · #30 ·
imported post

Yup, too bad we found out about him a little late. Even after the fact he had a arrogant attitude about it like I had done him wrong for calling him out. Yet he never denied that he had lied about the condition of the watch. Hey, wanna go to the Caribbean for vacation next year??LOL

falcon4311 wrote:
Seattle wrote:
No problem here Don, he's a scumbag and we both know it.
You were very supportive during that time and I appreciate it.

CJ

falcon4311 wrote:
Hey Charlie, I distinctly remember your encounter with that little gnat! I think at that time I told you how much I would enjoy flying to where he lives and doa serious Dominican dance on his azz. Oops, I guess I gave away where he lives.
I just hate guys like that, when you lie about the condition of a watch everything else that comes out of your mouth is a lie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.