Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company just got invited to an event that AWCI is putting on. In the email we got it stated Eterna Movements would have reps there.

Eterna started offering their movements to small companies like us in about 2012.

Do any of you know anything about their product?

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
They have a good history in movement innovations, don't know about the product now though.
I would pick up a vintage Eterna anytime.

I see a Hong Kong based group owns them now, I didn't know that.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,760 Posts
They have a good history in movement innovations, don't know about the product now though.
I would pick up a vintage Eterna anytime.

I see a Hong Kong based group owns them now, I didn't know that.
The Haiden Group owns them, and Corum watches as well. They are letting both companies run with considerable autonomy.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have admired their Spherodrive movements and considered a purchase a couple of times. The MSRP's are crazy but the street prices are doable. They are some of the most interesting beautiful movements I have seen.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My company just got invited to an event that AWCI is putting on. In the email we got it stated Eterna Movements would have reps there.

Eterna started offering their movements to small companies like us in about 2012.

Do any of you know anything about their product?
When you ask about "product," do you mean movements or watches? Eterna created ETA SA in 1932 to make movements while Eterna remained in the business of assembling watches. This might be worth your time to read.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/a-brief-history-of-eta/

I own two Eterna watches - both are KonTiki models and both have SW200 movements. Design, fit, finish, and overall quality are excellent and, for the price, Eterna punches way above its weight class.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you ask about "product," do you mean movements or watches? Eterna created ETA SA in 1932 to make movements while Eterna remained in the business of assembling watches. This might be worth your time to read.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/a-brief-history-of-eta/

I own two Eterna watches - both are KonTiki models and both have SW200 movements. Design, fit, finish, and overall quality are excellent and, for the price, Eterna punches way above its weight class.
Just their movements.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
The Haiden Group owns them, and Corum watches as well. They are letting both companies run with considerable autonomy.
Citychamp Watch & Jewellery Group Limited.
It offers watches and timepieces under the brand names of Rossini, EBOHR, Corum, Eterna, Rotary, Dreyfuss & Co, J&T Windmills, Guangzhou, and Dixmont, etc

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
@Thomas Carey:

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced American watch companies need to come together to explore the potential for pooling their resources to create American-made mechanical, solar, and quartz movements to compete with the Swiss, Japanese, Chinese, etc.

Maybe you could put that bug into the ears of the brand reps who you rub elbows with, or has this sort of proposition already been made in the past?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Thomas Carey:

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced American watch companies need to come together to explore the potential for pooling their resources to create American-made mechanical, solar, and quartz movements to compete with the Swiss, Japanese, Chinese, etc.

Maybe you could put that bug into the ears of the brand reps who you rub elbows with, or has this sort of proposition already been made in the past?
This has actually been looked at many times by various company owners. One I know of went quite far with it. The problem was the movement company would have to produce more movements per year by far than all of the American companies could use. The other issue was the price each movement would be.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found out the watchmaker that builds our watches will be going to the AWCI event.

He is actually on their board. So he plans to talk to the folks at Eterna. From what we have so far been told their movements cost a lot more than ETA. They do have a very interesting modular design which can be configured in some 88 different ways.

Our watchmaker also builds the watches that Birkbinder & Brown offer. I believe their owner will be at the event as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,921 Posts
Only know about them from a far Thomas, but man oh man this is so neat that you guys are even getting a chance to talk with them like this ! :eek::thumb::thumb: Hope you can let us know how it went. Wow !

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
well ALL their sport watches are called KON TIKI ...those are mostly drool bait IMHO...so if you can hitch your wagon to ETERNA to source movements and the numbers work... i would do it in a a NY MINUTE...good luck !

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We've gotten some pricing from Eterna. Basically the movement we asked about is about $100 higher in price than an ETA 2824.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
We've gotten some pricing from Eterna. Basically the movement we asked about is about $100 higher in price than an ETA 2824.
Well, the basic 2824 is not much to write home about. Is the Eterna movement more highly decorated? Would it look nicer under an exhibition caseback? You would get points for using something that is not the norm. I guess what I am asking is, is the 100 USD price hit adding any value or is it just a more expensive variant of the ETA that is already on the market? I know customization can be ordered direct from Sellita. maybe that is a better choice.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the basic 2824 is not much to write home about. Is the Eterna movement more highly decorated? Would it look nicer under an exhibition caseback? You would get points for using something that is not the norm. I guess what I am asking is, is the 100 USD price hit adding any value or is it just a more expensive variant of the ETA that is already on the market? I know customization can be ordered direct from Sellita. maybe that is a better choice.
For our effort we are planning on a solid caseback. So decoration would not be seen.

I am also concerned as our watchmaker with parts availability down the road for them.

I am of the opinion that most would not pay extra for the Eterna movement. When we floated the idea of using a Sellita. It seemed that most would rather a Miyota 9015 which could be offered at a lower price.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The 9015 is currently back ordered due to demand ... the 2824 and SW200 are both more prestigious movements IMHO. All are similar with similar functions TBH and have a proven track record. I think the increased demand for the 9015 comes from the pricing, which you already know ;) .

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 9015 is currently back ordered due to demand ... the 2824 and SW200 are both more prestigious movements IMHO. All are similar with similar functions TBH and have a proven track record. I think the increased demand for the 9015 comes from the pricing, which you already know ;) .
The 9015 for sure is a very consistent movement in terms of accuracy and quality plus the price sure is attractive to us brand owners. Which of course is why they are backed up on production.

We also keep hearing that the Seagull 2824 clones keep getting better. I don't know if this is true or not. But I do know most people just don't seem to want a watch with those.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
The Chinese Seagull 2824-2 clones are infinitely better than they were just a few years ago, however there is still enough of a stigma attached to them that would likely cost you some sales among the WIS community. I don't rule them out completely when I purchase a watch, but on the same note I wouldn't chose one over a similar Japanese or Swiss movement.

We also keep hearing that the Seagull 2824 clones keep getting better. I don't know if this is true or not. But I do know most people just don't seem to want a watch with those.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts