Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi!

My friend and I are both retired and just met a couple of years ago at our retirement jobs. He wears a couple of Rolexes and an Omega which I have admired. But, I'm not a watch fancier which my friend really can't understand. I've never worn a watch. So, he went through his collection and brought in to work for me an Eterna-Matic and said I could have it. Told me he came by it at a church auction, but he never wears it. The original owner's name is engraved on the back. Only other thing I can see is 3582238 stamped on the back. It runs and keeps fairly good time until I take it off and it rests for the night when it seems to then be off by hours when not worn. Can't tell you any more time-keeping details since I've only had it several days.

I'm interesting in knowing info specific to the watch; i.e. is it self-winding, should I wind it, how much of a wind should I give it if it hasn't been worn for days, its value, when was it manufactured?

I've never heard of this company before and think I've learned there are no US dealers.

Can any watch jeweler clean it properly? Is there a recommendation as to where I should send it for cleaning?

Thanks for any & all input from you folks.

Keith

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eterna

From the info -

Probably the most famous Eterna watch was their Eterna-matic. This watch was launched in 1948. The design of the automatic winding was one of Eterna’s greatest designs. The weight ran on small ball bearings making it very efficient, hence the trademark of five ball bearings. The Eterna-matic continued in various styles and was still available in 1998, and has indeed been relaunched.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
imported post

I could not find any info on an Eterna-matic that looks just like yours. I suspect that it's an fairly early model only because of the markers. It's probably worth taking to a jeweler or higher end watch shop to have a look inside.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I really do appreciate all the input I've received from all of you. Yes, Bichondaddy, the watch you referred me to seems to be close enough to date my to the late 1950's.

My dilemma now is. . . Since I'm really not a watch fancier and likely wouldn't wear it much, what would be better for the watch -- 1) get it cleaned/serviced and keep it running or 2) merely keep it in my wife's jewelry box?

You're likely to say, "Who doesn't wear a watch?" Well, I'm 63, had a career in buildings/rooms where there always were wall clocks, in a car where there is a clock, in my home where nearly every room has a clock, and if I should be without the time, I can always look at my cell phone face. I've just never worn a watch and never felt like I wanted or needed one.

Thanks folks,

Keith

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

kegrant wrote:
I really do appreciate all the input I've received from all of you. Yes, Bichondaddy, the watch you referred me to seems to be close enough to date my to the late 1950's.

My dilemma now is. . . Since I'm really not a watch fancier and likely wouldn't wear it much, what would be better for the watch -- 1) get it cleaned/serviced and keep it running or 2) merely keep it in my wife's jewelry box?

You're likely to say, "Who doesn't wear a watch?" Well, I'm 63, had a career in buildings/rooms where there always were wall clocks, in a car where there is a clock, in my home where nearly every room has a clock, and if I should be without the time, I can always look at my cell phone face. I've just never worn a watch and never felt like I wanted or needed one.

Thanks folks,

Keith
It seems to have a value of around $75 - 100. If anything put it in the box and save it.
You could always put it on ebay or sell it, but you might want to just hold on to it.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
imported post

Well I say get it serviced and sell it for what the servicing cost you or try to make a little on it.

Why let it rot in a jewelry box.

There's a ton of vintage collectors out there.

Someone might like it and get some enjoyment out of it.

Pass it on.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
imported post

toecutter wrote:
Well I say get it serviced and sell it for what the servicing cost you or try to make a little on it.

Why let it rot in a jewelry box.

There's a ton of vintage collectors out there.

Someone might like it and get some enjoyment out of it.

Pass it on.

Just my thoughts.
+1

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
imported post

I agree with TC pass it on to a collector and let him or her restore it. You may just not be giving it full winds so the power reserve isnt what it should be.Try winding it 40-50 full winds and see if it lasts longer.

·
Registered
886 Posts
imported post

I would get it serviced and wear it. You have a fine vintage time piece that is just begging to be worn and enjoyed by someone. Maybe a grandchild, nephew or ME!!!.
Welcome to the forum. These folks are the best and I really mean it.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

kevco wrote:
I would get it serviced and wear it. You have a fine vintage time piece that is just begging to be worn and enjoyed by someone. Maybe a grandchild, nephew or ME!!!.
Welcome to the forum. These folks are the best and I really mean it.
Getting it serviced and a nice leather strap on it would make the watch sellable. Heck...we have a place on here you could sell it....and there are plenty of guys on here who collect vintage timepieces.....and you probably would not have any problems selling it. And TVDinner is correct...it worth in the $75 -$100 range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts